The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

Meatball, egg, beetroot in mayo sandwich. And a cheddar. And a beer. And some crisps.

Its Always Sunny Beer GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

edit: Hmm, wrong thread, but then again, maybe not

Edited by Tegis

19 hours ago, Risso said:

Yorkshire puddings with Christmas dinner, yes or no? The other half said no, but I said yes, and as I was cooking I won.

We had them this year, as we had rib of beef. If we'd have had turkey we wouldn't have. I was brought up on only having Yorkshire pud with beef, but living up North, I'm converted to the idea of having them with every roast. Only one I wouldn't is lamb, and that's because of the mint sauce. 

Edited by dAVe80

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Cold roast potatoes, anyone? 

I always deliberately make too many roasties, so I'll have some cold ones to snack on the following day. 

Definitely Mike.  Had some today with some cold turkey (ie leftovers from yesterday, I haven't just stopped doing heroine), a truly amazing Melton Mowbray pork pie, English mustard, red onion chutney, and some Emmental.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Risso said:

Definitely Mike.  Had some today with some cold turkey (ie leftovers from yesterday, I haven't just stopped doing heroine), a truly amazing Melton Mowbray pork pie, English mustard, red onion chutney, and some Emmental.

Nice 

It’s been quite cold today so it seemed appropriate to carry out a calibration/ nostalgia visit (from the time before I was groomed by the pie eating folk round these parts).

So I had this477292FE-54DE-42F2-B083-099CC21ECFD7.jpeg

By the end I came to realise that gravy is better, but not by much

• Like 2

I feel you've been getting off lightly on the pickled onion. For me it's a completely unnecessary embellishment to a meal - I've got nothing against a pickled onion on its own at Christmas, but it's no more a part of fish and chips than half a pear.

• Like 4

I'm all for gravy and curry sauce on fish and chips, but not a pickled onion.  Any acidity you need you get from the usual vinegar, and the crunchy texture would just be all wrong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I feel you've been getting off lightly on the pickled onion. For me it's a completely unnecessary embellishment to a meal - I've got nothing against a pickled onion on its own at Christmas, but it's no more a part of fish and chips than half a pear.

How about a pickled egg? My Grandad would always bring one home from the chippy but other than when I was with him on chippy night as a kid I don't think I've eaten one since. 

But they are always there lurking on the back shelf at every chippy. 

38 minutes ago, sidcow said:

How about a pickled egg? My Grandad would always bring one home from the chippy but other than when I was with him on chippy night as a kid I don't think I've eaten one since. 

Had one for a laugh from a Blackpool chippy on my stag, it tasted like a pickled egg.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

My dog head Mrs and her dog head family always have fish chips mushy peas pickled onion pickled egg and a portion of gray pees 

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Fusion, innit!

It’s basically that nouvelle cuisine that’s all the rage*. (But without the tiny portions and with a gravy bonus). 

*we’re a micro-tad behind some places up here.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Generally, around the country, do people get a bag to carry home their wrapped fried fish or is it the norm to have to kick it up the road?

Well I live in Yorkshire nowadays and around here it’s customary to have a team of whippets and ferrets to carry it home. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â