The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Out of curiosity, what was the original word that got auto corrected to anchovies?

Honestly, fill a Yorkshire pud with gravy then drop a couple of anchovies in so they kinda float about it and bob up and down, slice it open and watch as they sloosh all over the carrots and peas. Can't beat it. 

Spoiler

For the love of God, please nobody actually try this. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

The wife and all her family think bread and gravy is an abomination. 

My grandfather would never have a meal that involved gravy without 2 thickly cut by hand half slices of bread to mop up the remaining gravy at the end of a meal. I suspect this was living through two world wars and the depression that caused him to be like that but for him it was the absolute highlight of the meal

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

My grandfather would never have a meal that involved gravy without 2 thickly cut by hand half slices of bread to mop up the remaining gravy at the end of a meal. I suspect this was living through two world wars and the depression that caused him to be like that but for him it was the absolute highlight of the meal

My whole family love it and apparently it was my grandfather who introduced it to everyone. Growing up in Devon I was told it was a Northern thing as he was from Sheffield but the in laws are Cheshire based and don't approve. 

• Like 1

Highlight of lamb is 100% the mopping up of the remaining mint sauce and gravy with a slice of bread. 

It's also impossible to recreate this at the end of the meal by mixing unused mint sauce and remaining gravy directly on the plate.  For some reason it has to be filtered through a roast dinner to reach the optimum consistency. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Talking of Yorkshire puddings... 

Sainburys tinned curry in Yorkshire puddings is the bollocks

They're under used, perfect for serving different foods in

WHAT..... THE.... ACTUAL... F.... IS.... TINNED....... CURRY? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, sidcow said:

Seriously? Do you have NO shame.  Hot on the heels of Gravy on fish we get this? 

None. Look. You've got to experiment in life. I've never done, y'know, a tinned curry pie before. It was there on the bottom shelf taunting me, the dirty minx. I was helpless to resist the siren  call of a lockdown lunch tryst.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Have you ever seen a whole chicken in a tin?

Spoiler

Mohk2LV.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

32 minutes ago, Xela said:

Have you ever seen a whole chicken in a tin?

Reveal hidden contents

Mohk2LV.jpg

I've looked at videos of this on YouTube now. It's horrific and I can see no reason for such a thing to exist. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Grew up on this in the 90s! From memory you didn't have your pataks and stuff and my mom wouldn't make her own, 2 tins of that with rice probably once a fortnight 

When my ex was at uni her room mate from Leeds introduced me to replacing the rice with Yorkshire, they work perfect 

640x640.jpg

24 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've looked at videos of this on YouTube now. It's horrific and I can see no reason for such a thing to exist. 

I never knew they existed until a few years back when I was volunteering at a food bank and saw all manners of stuff rammed into tins.

It just looks disgusting. 

• Like 1

Â