The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

From today's online BBC cricket coverage:

26.2 overs
Eng 137-4
My moment of the summer has nothing to do with cricket. It came two days ago in Lytham, where I discovered gravy on chip shop fish. Genuine game changer. Makes the batter melt in your mouth.

Great, so now I cant read up on the cricket either.

Is that for real? Awesome if so! And also an FACTual evidence of True Gravy Law

Edit - just been over to add a like to the BBC gravy page comment. 

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

Its all going off now, it's seeped into the commentary itself... orange chips and battered roe....

I've got to say the orange chips are amazing.  You can get them from that Chippy in Grand Central above new Street Station.  They are beautiful, but I've never been able to eat a tray (I know............a tray 😞 ) without feeling sick.  They are so rich.  I mean Battered Chips, it's ludicrous.

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've got to say the orange chips are amazing.  You can get them from that Chippy in Grand Central above new Street Station.  They are beautiful, but I've never been able to eat a tray (I know............a tray 😞 ) without feeling sick.  They are so rich.  I mean Battered Chips, it's ludicrous.

I only eat battered chips now when I can get them, it's definitely the way forward. Just guaranteed crispiness. They'd probably even hold up after being covered in gravy, or the correct choice of curry sauce.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bickster said:

Its all going off now, it's seeped into the commentary itself... orange chips and battered roe....

said before, worked in a chippy for just over 4 years, you will never ever be able to explain the appeal of roe to me, horrible stuff and we sold loads, a tin gets cut in to 8 slices, we're selling 3+ tins on a Friday and Saturday night

we didn't sell battered chips but they're awesome

and the best thing you can do is put chicken kebab meat on top of a cheese burger, we had a proper flame grill at our shop, took ages and filled the place with smoke but the burgers were awesome, time your break around the first cut of a new kebab skewer and it was heaven

did also try battering a lot of stuff! kind of started when I dropped a chicken and mushroom pie in the batter mix by accident and my boss said **** it lets cook it, takes some skill but he could do battered ice cream, that's a weird thing

54 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I only eat battered chips now when I can get them, it's definitely the way forward. Just guaranteed crispiness. They'd probably even hold up after being covered in gravy, or the correct choice of curry sauce.

Chippy up the road from me does them, delicious 😋 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

said before, worked in a chippy for just over 4 years, you will never ever be able to explain the appeal of roe to me, horrible stuff and we sold loads, a tin gets cut in to 8 slices, we're selling 3+ tins on a Friday and Saturday night

we didn't sell battered chips but they're awesome

and the best thing you can do is put chicken kebab meat on top of a cheese burger, we had a proper flame grill at our shop, took ages and filled the place with smoke but the burgers were awesome, time your break around the first cut of a new kebab skewer and it was heaven

did also try battering a lot of stuff! kind of started when I dropped a chicken and mushroom pie in the batter mix by accident and my boss said **** it lets cook it, takes some skill but he could do battered ice cream, that's a weird thing

In your time working in the chip shop did you ever come across the fabled King rib. Been trying to track one down for a long time now but nowhere seems to sell anymore, The animal that supplied them has probably become extinct or something

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

Just now, Follyfoot said:

In your time working in the chip shop did you ever come across the fabled King rib. Been trying to track one down for a long time now but nowhere seems to sell anymore, The animal that supplied them as probably become extinct or something

Nah it was Greek Cypriot in the Midlands nothing like that

They introduced chicken tikka kebabs, Chinese curry sauce, flame grilled burgers and Southern fried chicken whilst I was there 

Can't remember the last time I went in to a chippy and saw something new 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Nah it was Greek Cypriot in the Midlands nothing like that

They introduced chicken tikka kebabs, Chinese curry sauce, flame grilled burgers and Southern fried chicken whilst I was there 

Can't remember the last time I went in to a chippy and saw something new 

The Sea Queen in Burntwood has a full Greek menu now. An extension of the kebab section to deep fried halloumi etc.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

First time I went to America I ordered biscuits and gravy for breakfast, my girlfriend told me not to because it wasn’t what I thought it would be.

She was 100% correct, I have no idea to this day what it was but it was not biscuits, and it was not gravy.

Oh isn't that the truth

• Like 1

Was at the wife's parents for the weekend, German food

Potato soup served with apple and cinnamon pancakes, both home made, both really good but served together... I of course dipped the pancake it the soup and it was an everyone stop what you're doing and look at the wierd foreigner moment 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â