The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m racking my brain cell to remember the name of the place. I might not ever have even known it.

I’d seen it a couple of times from the tube line in to White City and decided one day to go back and seek it out. Without sounding too vague, I knew what I wanted so I didn’t really look at the options. One pie, two icecream scoops of mash all swimming in a bowl of what is basically parsley sauce.

I’d wanted it since watching Quadrophenia as a kid. (Insert Kenneth)

Bloody lovely.

I might google up street view later and see if I can find it, beyond describing it as ‘on the left’ as you come in to White City / Shepherds Bush from town, about one street across from the tracks, mid terrace...

I had some once in a cafe in the East End when we played West Ham one weekday donkeys years ago, this example had a couple of old bints sucking and spitting eel bones into a bucket at the back and the bird behind the jump, cheeky young lassie she was,had a face that rather looked like the pies on sale, very surreal but in all fairness tasted good 

• Like 1

A quick google suggests the only one in the area that’s still going is ‘Cockneys’ on Portobello Road.

Not convinced it was that one, but it’s the only one showing up in the area and this was a couple of years ago. Didn’t recognise the outside but then I looked at pictures of their food and it’s swimming in liquor in bowls and they sell mash by the scoop!

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

A quick google suggests the only one in the area that’s still going is ‘Cockneys’ on Portobello Road.

Not convinced it was that one, but it’s the only one showing up in the area and this was a couple of years ago. Didn’t recognise the outside but then I looked at pictures of their food and it’s swimming in liquor in bowls and they sell mash by the scoop!

Was it Cookes? shut down a couple of years ago by the looks and a clue in the doorway to Quadrophenia 

teaserbox_2467118573.png?t=1457044585

cookes 2.jpg

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Definitely!

Ah I’m glad about that, can’t imagine I’d have gone somewhere called ‘Cockneys’. Sounds way too touristy.

would expect Pearly Kings and Queens around the Joanna 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Mockney mate of mine who has just been to Crete sent me this picture, claiming to be back to 'some proper grub' 

Wrong on so many levels, almost grim 

pie and mash.jpg

Looks like a dirty protest by a vegan

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, bickster said:

Yes, got one back onside for the sake of humanity. In the last two Chip Shop teas, the missus has ordered curry sauce and not a carton of two year old sump oil.

You've been brainwashing poor W?  PsyOps - playing Aerosmith really loud, bright lights all that kind of stuff. Monster.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

From today's online BBC cricket coverage:

26.2 overs
Eng 137-4
My moment of the summer has nothing to do with cricket. It came two days ago in Lytham, where I discovered gravy on chip shop fish. Genuine game changer. Makes the batter melt in your mouth.

Great, so now I cant read up on the cricket either.

Had this on my clipboard ready to paste into the thread, beaten to it :lol:

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

From today's online BBC cricket coverage:

26.2 overs
Eng 137-4
My moment of the summer has nothing to do with cricket. It came two days ago in Lytham, where I discovered gravy on chip shop fish. Genuine game changer. Makes the batter melt in your mouth.

Great, so now I cant read up on the cricket either.

It's just blandestine propaganda, final straw for me, I'm refusing to pay my licence now. I can put up with all their Tory bullshit but gravy on fish in Lytham is just a whole bunch of steps too far

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Their famous impartiality at play here,on mine it says

Beeb Cricket

You missed:

As a Yorkshireman I’m offended you’ve only just discovered gravy goes with fish from a chippy. That should be a moment for your life, never mind this summer

and

Next time anyone comes to Edgbaston for a game, nip over to the Black Country Museum and enjoy the traditional 'chips & gravy' they sell there. Unbelievable scenes.

I'm not happy at all to have The West Midlands dragged int o this seedy affair!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Next time anyone comes to Edgbaston for a game, nip over to the Black Country Museum and enjoy the traditional 'chips & gravy' they sell there. Unbelievable scenes.

Nothing wrong with chips and gravy though but bringing fish to the wicket is unforgivable 

There's no accounting for those people on the wrong side of the Penines though

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

Nothing wrong with chips and gravy though but bringing fish to the wicket is unforgivable 

Ahhh yes, sorry. Got carried away.  Gravy less the fish is different gravy!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Its no wonder 4 of the Yorkshire T20 squad have just tested positive for Covid though with their degenerate fish behaviour

Contracted Codfish-19

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â