The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

forget the gravy for a minute its the battle of the fish...

@blandy takes it for me, im not a huge batter fan and @bickster whilst it does at least look good crispy batter that's too much on the top and right hand side for me, also looks slightly well done

chips is hard to tell because of the gravy...they don't look in season hence some of the browner bits*, which I can tell the difference between but cant tell you when the seasons are

*you can get burnt chips in a quiet chippy from being sat in the bin for too long, that's not that

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

forget the gravy for a minute its the battle of the fish...

@blandy takes it for me, im not a huge batter fan and @bickster whilst it does at least look good crispy batter that's too much on the top and right hand side for me, also looks slightly well done

chips is hard to tell because of the gravy...they don't look in season hence some of the browner bits*, which I can tell the difference between but cant tell you when the seasons are

*you can get burnt chips in a quiet chippy from being sat in the bin for too long, that's not that

You say @blandy takes it but look at the chemical reaction to the end of the fish that's close to both the gravy and the pickled onion, it really has gone right ooorf, I bet he had to wolf it down before he lost the lot.

24 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

You say @blandy takes it but look at the chemical reaction to the end of the fish that's close to both the gravy and the pickled onion, it really has gone right ooorf, I bet he had to wolf it down before he lost the lot.

that's the where the guy held the fish whilst he was battering it hence why the batter is so thin ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

How anyone can eat a pickled onion is **** beyond me. 

The devil’s shit nuggets

Pickled Onion Monster Munch however, please and thank you.  Though Roast Beef is king, naturally.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Pickled Onion Monster Munch however, please and thank you.  Though Roast Beef is king, naturally.

I don't mind pickled onion crisps but they're not a favourite.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

How anyone can eat a pickled onion is **** beyond me. 

The devil’s shit nuggets

Pickled onions are ace in the right place. Nice strong cheese or maybe a quality pork pie. Much nicer if you make them yourself.

With Fish and Chips, however, it’s a crime almost as heinous as gravy itself

• Like 1

Someone from my work has chips with beans and gravy. 

I don't even think @blandy would stoop that low. Then again, he'd probably garnish it with a pickled shallot. 

• Haha 1

im suspicious over people who buy beans from a chip shop full stop, they're now up to 80p for the tub? not exactly the hardest thing to cook either, even the chippy sticks them in the microwave (as a side the worst thing I saw in the chippy was my colleague quickly grabbing the polystyrene bean tub out of the microwave and it splitting in her hand, she's nuked them, the burn was horrific)

as for beans and gravy...grew up on mince beef crispy pancakes chips and beans and the gravy and bean juice combo isn't that bad...

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

Someone from my work has chips with beans and gravy. 

I don't even think @blandy would stoop that low. Then again, he'd probably garnish it with a pickled shallot. 

I've never tried it, but I don't think it would be for m.....actually I might have. Yeah, not really the best. I used to have fish chips peas and gravy in the work canteen, and one day they'd run out of peas. Probably too moist, really.

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

as for beans and gravy...grew up on mince beef crispy pancakes chips and beans and the gravy and bean juice combo isn't that bad...

Findus crispy pancakes. Hotter than the sun when you ate them... plus the pasty would stick to roof of your mouth and do more damage than a firework in the face. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

yep, we all ate them, we all liked them, we all wished our mom had bought mini kievs instead

Mini kievs were nice

Do you remember little potato croquettes that had a bit of ketchup in the middle? You cooked them in the oven. I'm sure they were called 'Ketchups" but nothing online seems to point to them ever existing. I'm sure I had them multiple times when I was a kid. I've asked people at work but they've just stared at me as if i've got two heads. Please tell me I haven't imagined it? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Mini kievs were nice

Do you remember little potato croquettes that had a bit of ketchup in the middle? You cooked them in the oven. I'm sure they were called 'Ketchups" but nothing online seems to point to them ever existing. I'm sure I had them multiple times when I was a kid. I've asked people at work but they've just stared at me as if i've got two heads. Please tell me I haven't imagined it? 

No you haven’t imagined it, as I remember them mate.  Don’t think they were great, as needed a bit of cooking I think to get them soft? Not that I was cooking them! I was probably watching Byker Grove or something. 

Seem to remember my mom serving them sometimes with weird “Dalepak steaks” ? Chinese rib flavour and minted lamb I think?  Findas crispy pancakes were great as well.

• Like 3

Â