The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Weirdly, I actually love sprouts. 

Slightly boiled, then finished off in the frying pan with butter bacon and walnuts 

I eat that more often than I eat roast lunches (for obvious reasons here - roasting joints or a full chicken are also crazy expensive) 

And @NurembergVillan have you ever tried making rouladen but with proper English mustard? That's awesome, I do like German Red cabbage which you can get loads of, not a huge asparagus eater which is maybe the 2nd most popular veg and there's a reason no one else eats kohlrabi... Awful stuff

• Like 1

I just don't get shit like cranberry on Turkey.  But then I hate the mixing of sweet and savoury, might as well baste my roast beef in chocolate.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 1

I've done a few thanksgiving dinners over the last couple of years, the sweetness is weird, marshmallows on sweet potatoes for example is all kinds of wrong

the real winner from that is a green bean casserole which is a great dish, basically green beans in a mushroom sauce (most youtubers even use cream mushroom soup, im not stooping to that) with a crispy onion, breadcrumb and parmesan topping

• Like 1

Sprouts are my number one veg, closely followed by Savoy cabbage and spring greens. All with delicious mint sauce dropped over the top. I used to reserve mint sauce just for lamb but I’ve opened up to the fact it enhances green veg and carrots too. 

On the subject of cheese... my father in law (typical Yorkshire bloke) eats cheese with Christmas cake. He also eats dripping sandwiches so I’m not even slightly surprised.

4 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Sprouts are my number one veg, closely followed by Savoy cabbage and spring greens.

Sprouts, fine, love 'em. Savoy cabbage falls into the 'medicine' category - I'll eat it, but with no pleasure whatsover. But spring greens tie with spinach as the absolute worst, gag-reflex-inducing total no-no. Won't go near the vile stuff. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It sounds weird but I think it would work.

You have fruit with a plate of cheese and biscuits so the premise is there. 

I've also had a cheese and jam sandwich before and it's a lot nicer than you might expect

Now we are talking cheese and jam sandwiches, my Mum's go to when I was a kid. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Cheddar cheese on apple pie?

**** heresy. Heathens.

Sweet and savoury can work.  As @Stevo985 says, it sounds weird, but I think it could work. The Greeks and Lebanese have jam covered feta, so it's a variation on that.  I was more on about the great gravy debate, but I'm willing to try this just for completion :D 

44 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Sprouts, fine, love 'em. Savoy cabbage falls into the 'medicine' category - I'll eat it, but with no pleasure whatsover. But spring greens tie with spinach as the absolute worst, gag-reflex-inducing total no-no. Won't go near the vile stuff. 

You’ll be unsurprised to know that I love spinach, whether it’s added to a salad or wilted and added to a curry - it’s beautiful stuff :D

Makes ya strong too 

health vegan GIF by Boomerang Official

• Like 2

I think, many years ago, @blandy disputed the fact that I liked drinking Encona hot sauce straight from the bottle.

I did, and still do. In fact any hot sauce.

Cheese and Jam on crackers or a sandwich is decent, but it needs to be chilli jam or something a bit different. You can’t just go chucking bit of a standard Robinson’s strawberry on there, you animals. 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 1

My Nanna once fed me grapes, cheese and a Cadburys Wispa for dinner, I don't know whether that was because she was going a bit doolally but it was quite a nice combo.  People seem to turn their noses up when I say I like fish on pizza whether it's anchovies, sardines, salmon or whatever.  Pizza Express used to do a nice one with salmon, tuna and shrimps on it that I loved but seemed to stop doing it.  They ruined their business when they started selling pizzas in supermarkets imo.

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

I think, many years ago, @blandy disputed the fact that I liked drinking Encona hot sauce straight from the bottle.

I did, and still do. In fact any hot sauce.

Did I? Fair enough, I can't imagine anyone liking doing that! I like it and other hot sauces, but wouldn't want to sup the stuff neat. There can't be much left of your insides.

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

People seem to turn their noses up when I say I like fish on pizza whether it's anchovies,

The best. Anchovies, Olives, Capers. Napolitana. Wins every time.

Just now, blandy said:

Did I? Fair enough, I can't imagine anyone liking doing that! I like it and other hot sauces, but wouldn't want to sup the stuff neat. There can't be much left of your insides.

Well I'm still taking a few hours to release waste so there must be something ;)

12 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

People seem to turn their noses up when I say I like fish on pizza whether it's anchovies, sardines, salmon or whatever.

Anchovies ✅

Sardines ❓ (I like sardines, just never had nor sure about them on pizza)

Salmon ❌❓ (definite no from me, I very odd with salmon, it's not a favourite fish and I generally will only eat it with potato salad)

Tuna ✅✅✅ Probably my current favourite pizza and its back on the menu a Chez Bicks next week

Â