The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

13 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If food was in short supply then sure, serve me up some offal, liver, kidney etc.

But in an age where I can get a fillet steak with ease, I just don’t get it.

Worse than the taste is the texture of kidney too, horrible stuff.

Chewy yum yum

23 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If food was in short supply then sure, serve me up some offal, liver, kidney etc.

But in an age where I can get a fillet steak with ease, I just don’t get it.

Worse than the taste is the texture of kidney too, horrible stuff.

i find fillet quite bland actually. half the flavour is in the fat

give me a good ribeye any day. think that has a bit of fillet on it anyway

20 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i find fillet quite bland actually. half the flavour is in the fat

give me a good ribeye any day. think that has a bit of fillet on it anyway

It’s the best cut of beef available (hence the price), can’t stand chewy bits of rind and fat in a steak personally.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s the best cut of beef available (hence the price), can’t stand chewy bits of rind and fat in a steak personally.

It's the best* cut.

*If best is only in terms of texture. It's much less flavourful than almost any other cut. 

• Like 3

Pretty well understood that fat has a lot of flavour (but is...fatty) and parts of the body that get used have a lot of flavour (but are tough and have to be slow cooked), whereas those that don’t will be more tender but require more effort (butter) to bring the taste out.

Anyway I was in a pub a few weekends ago for the day after a wedding meet up, recall and recovery session. One of those places with a massive laminated menu with everything imaginable. I had some chicken strips (but ignore that part), a side dish mac and cheese and a side serving of curry sauce. So yes, my gastronomic delight that day (and many more times in the future) was curry mac and cheese.

Edited by fightoffyour

I do like a nice bit of fillet. My favourite part of the moo-cow. 

I went to Gaucho once, in Fitzrovia, and it was sublime! Must go back there soon, as there is one in Brum now, that i've never visited. 

On 17/08/2021 at 09:32, fightoffyour said:

Pretty well understood that fat has a lot of flavour (but is...fatty) and parts of the body that get used have a lot of flavour (but are tough and have to be slow cooked), whereas those that don’t will be more tender but require more effort (butter) to bring the taste out.

Anyway I was in a pub a few weekends ago for the day after a wedding meet up, recall and recovery session. One of those places with a massive laminated menu with everything imaginable. I had some chicken strips (but ignore that part), a side dish mac and cheese and a side serving of curry sauce. So yes, my gastronomic delight that day (and many more times in the future) was curry mac and cheese.

Can I get some of that 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 17/08/2021 at 12:20, Xela said:

I do like a nice bit of fillet. My favourite part of the moo-cow. 

I went to Gaucho once, in Fitzrovia, and it was sublime! Must go back there soon, as there is one in Brum now, that i've never visited. 

Went to Gaucho a couple of times in Dubai. Is really hit and miss. Had one of the best meals there. Went back, total shite.

Had the same experience with Côte brasserie. 

On 15/08/2021 at 03:20, MNVillan said:

I’ll be honest, I want to try this while over there but kidney sounds disgusting

Yeah, why would you have a lovely steak pie and ruin it with yucky kidney? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spoony said:

Went to Gaucho a couple of times in Dubai. Is really hit and miss. Had one of the best meals there. Went back, total shite.

Had the same experience with Côte brasserie. 

Greatest steak I've ever had (or, at least, definitely for full experience) was at this place called La Barra in Mendoza.

Lovely little rustic looking restaurant with an outdoor seating area at the back complete with massive open grill.  The cuts are huge but cooked absolutely perfectly.  I can pretty much taste it typing this out and I was there over 5 years ago 😐.

There was also a great place in Buenos Aires called Don Julio.  This was the first place that made me realise how relaxed the Argentinians are when it comes to eating - we tried to book a table for 8pm and were told "8pm?  That's a bit early - come back at 10pm; you can't book but should be OK".  Walked up at 10pm, got a complimentary glass of fizz to have on the street, milling about with other diners.  The place was heaving but somehow relaxed and incredibly friendly and the steak was, again, beautiful.

Slight link here into the whole "fillet is best" chat above - I would generally choose fillet steak in the UK.  It's the most tender and often sirloin or other cuts are too fatty/chewy and it spoils the experience for me.  Flip reverse out in Argentina though - "bife de chorizo" (sirloin) is the best cut, the juiciest due to the fat but, my God, they just cook steaks so well.  I didn't have one that was chewy at all, they were all melt-in-mouth standard.  Same went for fillet (bife de lomo) too, but obviously not quite as flavoursome due to the lack of marbling.

Also learnt that cooking steak should always be incredibly simple.  You need two ingredients other than the steak itself - salt and pepper.  No butter or oil or peppercorn sauce to serve it with.  Salt and pepper.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

Greatest steak I've ever had (or, at least, definitely for full experience) was at this place called La Barra in Mendoza.

Lovely little rustic looking restaurant with an outdoor seating area at the back complete with massive open grill.  The cuts are huge but cooked absolutely perfectly.  I can pretty much taste it typing this out and I was there over 5 years ago 😐.

There was also a great place in Buenos Aires called Don Julio.  This was the first place that made me realise how relaxed the Argentinians are when it comes to eating - we tried to book a table for 8pm and were told "8pm?  That's a bit early - come back at 10pm; you can't book but should be OK".  Walked up at 10pm, got a complimentary glass of fizz to have on the street, milling about with other diners.  The place was heaving but somehow relaxed and incredibly friendly and the steak was, again, beautiful.

Slight link here into the whole "fillet is best" chat above - I would generally choose fillet steak in the UK.  It's the most tender and often sirloin or other cuts are too fatty/chewy and it spoils the experience for me.  Flip reverse out in Argentina though - "bife de chorizo" (sirloin) is the best cut, the juiciest due to the fat but, my God, they just cook steaks so well.  I didn't have one that was chewy at all, they were all melt-in-mouth standard.  Same went for fillet (bife de lomo) too, but obviously not quite as flavoursome due to the lack of marbling.

Also learnt that cooking steak should always be incredibly simple.  You need two ingredients other than the steak itself - salt and pepper.  No butter or oil or peppercorn sauce to serve it with.  Salt and pepper.

simpsons-dreamy.gif

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
Â