The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

On 19/06/2021 at 06:42, Tegis said:

Unsure if this is the right thread. VT will decide.

3 types of Pickled herring, spuds and chive-flowers from the garden, and a curious bird-killer.

vZdXhO8.jpg

Pickled herring is legit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/08/2021 at 21:05, Rds1983 said:

234811301_1203404510164940_4316773662027

Thoughts. Better or worse then gravy on fish? 

Oh my god.  Please tell me this is a photoshop and not an actual thing. 

14 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

Tonight eating my very first steak & kidney pie along with some mashed potatoes.

This is the staple of UK cuisine, consumed 2-3 times a week in every British home. Other nights it is fish and chips without gravy, and as a treat on Fridays, beans on toast. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

This is the staple of UK cuisine, consumed 2-3 times a week in every British home. Other nights it is fish and chips without gravy, and as a treat on Fridays, beans on toast. 

Yeah I have been wanting to try it forever so I hope it turns out ok. Want to try a full English breakfast next👍

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

Yeah I have been wanting to try it forever so I hope it turns out ok. Want to try a full English breakfast next👍

Careful with the breakfast, easy to do it cheaply not get it right and fail to see what the fuss is all about, a lot of English cafes etc will do exactly that

If you're relying on an import shop then it could be hit and miss

And definitley go for black pudding, would probably make for an interesting topic as to what people consider the must have ingredients, personally I have to go heinz baked beans too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

Good choice but make sure the baked beans are on the plate, not a separate dish.

it should consist of sausages, bacon, fried eggs, black pudding, mushrooms, beans and toast. 

For me, quality produce over quantity is the key to a good English breakfast! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Careful with the breakfast, easy to do it cheaply not get it right and fail to see what the fuss is all about, a lot of English cafes etc will do exactly that

And definitley go for black pudding, would probably make for an interesting topic as to what people consider the must have ingredients, personally I have to go heinz baked beans too

Pretty much typed up the same at the same time 😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

It should consist of sausages, bacon, fried eggs, black pudding, mushrooms, beans and toast. 

Same

Im more than happy with hash browns but I like them extra crispy so that's 30+ mins in the oven and that's too long

I need to start taking a slice of toast out and adding in a slice of fried bread but I usually can't be bothered

I'll eat tomatoes if it's a cafe breakfast but don't cook them myself for my own 

And I go red if there's no tomatoes, brown if there is 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I had a 'full Scottish breakfast' the other day on holiday and the only difference to a normal breakfast was the addition of black pudding.  I'm sure I had it before on previous holidays with haggis as well but I was disappointed by the lack of haggis anywhere.  I never thought of black pudding making it particularly Scottish, just a bit northern.

12 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I had a 'full Scottish breakfast' the other day on holiday and the only difference to a normal breakfast was the addition of black pudding.  I'm sure I had it before on previous holidays with haggis as well but I was disappointed by the lack of haggis anywhere.  I never thought of black pudding making it particularly Scottish, just a bit northern.

Haggis is lovely with a fry up breakfast! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Haggis is another one where I just don't have the time, the one you can get in Morrisons is perfectly fine but I think takes an hour in the oven 

You can microwave it but then from my experience it ruined it 

Never had bad haggis though, love the stuff and I was the same when I drove around Scotland a few years back its surprising how many places didn't actually offer it, i wouldn't call it common, I'm sure I had at least 4 hotel breakfasts in different parts of the country and none of them had it

Â