The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

You're an anarchist, and while I respect that, I suggest that you sit down, have a nice pint of Guinness and lemonade and consider your position.

You've used the words nice and Guinness in the same sentence there. 

giphy-downsized.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

You've used the words nice and Guinness in the same sentence there. 

giphy-downsized.gif

Absolute muck. Black Castlemaine XXXX with an enormous marketing budget.

• Like 2

That's something I've never had - one of these weird Guinness cocktails that Irish bars abroad offer, one in town here sells Guinness and cider, Guinness and beer, Guinness and smirnoff ice 

Guinness and black obviously, I've had Guinness and tia Maria too but who's drinking those things? 

7 hours ago, bickster said:

Neither had I, until the pastie shop at New St Station started selling them. Very nice they are but they are about as Welsh as yorkshire pudding.

Any story that starts "Legend has it" is dubious from the outset. Any story published by Reach Media and specifically a title related to their Liverpool Office is about as trustworthy as a Michael Gove statement, given that they are notorious for getting facts wrong, not lies just plain simple facts, like the name of a type of cloud.

I'd guess that the Welsh connection goes back no further than Max Boyce. Most of my family is Welsh and I've never heard of them before the last few years.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Risso said:

I'd guess that the Welsh connection goes back no further than Max Boyce.

Not even that far, there's no connection between Oggy Oggy Oggy and pasties. It's just something Max completely made up

On 05/03/2021 at 19:54, villa4europe said:

That's something I've never had - one of these weird Guinness cocktails that Irish bars abroad offer, one in town here sells Guinness and cider, Guinness and beer, Guinness and smirnoff ice 

Guinness and black obviously, I've had Guinness and tia Maria too but who's drinking those things? 

Just shit, ennit, Guinness? Have a coffee or have a pint. Don't **** about trying to make some sort of one-size-fits-all flavour ****.

People who love it are people who wear t-shirts proclaiming they love it, and ain't nobody got time for those words removed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Just shit, ennit, Guinness? Have a coffee or have a pint. Don't **** about trying to make some sort of one-size-fits-all flavour ****.

People who love it are people who wear t-shirts proclaiming they love it, and ain't nobody got time for those words removed.

Was at a wedding and a northern bloke offered one of those half Guinness half cider (Black Velvet?) deals. I finished it, barely :wacko:

Apparently* Guinness is such an aspirational brand that many people claim to drink it who actually don't.  When they conduct surveys about it, if as many people actually drank it as claim to do so their sales would be around triple what they actually are. 

I can't imagine pretending to like something so much that I would claim to drink it in a survey. 

* I realise this means it's probably bullshit. 

Edited by sidcow

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Apparently* Guinness is such an aspirational brand that many people claim to drink it who actually don't.  When they conduct surveys about it, if as many people actually drank it as claim to do so their sales would be around triple what they actually are. 

I can't imagine pretending to like something so much that I would claim to drink it in a survey. 

* I realise this means it's probably bullshit. 

Drinking from the furry goblet

Guinness is still the best beer you can get in a lot of places, which says more about the quality of those places than the drink itself. I’m happy that it’s a better stock option than any commercial lager though.

• Like 1

I don't mind Guinness, went through a period in my 20s drinking it and then came off it cos of drinking in rounds at the football 

"what do you want?" 

"ill have a Guinness" 

"I got you a carling" 

I can't do sessions on it anymore though, have to stop at around 5, so the idea of sticking a smirnoff ice in it and going turbo shandy* would work for me... But **** that, don't even go Guinness and black, if you're sticking stuff in it then you shouldn't be drinking it 

* the idea of a turbo shandy was to get drunk quicker not to make the drink palatable 

Edited by villa4europe

37 minutes ago, blandy said:

You could make a Guinness batter. That might be good.

Not sure that's a secret any more is it, sparkling water or something fizzy in the batter makes it lighter and crispier than normal batter

Googled it and there's a few recipes for Guinness battered onion rings out there 

• Like 1

Â