The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

9 hours ago, chappy said:

You mean Henderson’s Relish? Far superior to Worcester sauce!

I dunno about superior, but Hendo’s goes better with some stuff than Worcester sauce does and vice versa.

During this clampdown I’ve been mostly having soups for dinner and tend to rotate between hot chilli sauce (mostly with red or orange soups), hendos with green coloured soups and Worcester sauce with pale coloured soups. So pumpkin soup + encona, pea soup + hendos, leek & potato + Worcester for example. I’m simple folk, I keep to the rules (albeit I made them) and while I don’t have, quite, 27 different sauces to pick from I am nevertheless able to enjoy a cosmopolitan, dare I say sophisticated range of tinned soup and condiment clampdown combos. Embrace the margins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/05/2020 at 05:17, Spoony said:

I want to do the same with Indian food but no matter what I do I just can’t get that Indian takeaway taste. I don’t care if what I’m making is more genuine or whatnot, I want to recreate delicious greasy Indian takeaway heaven. Any suggestions??

This channel is quality.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKlET6nkHSKNWef97D_UBkQ

Here's an example...

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, chappy said:

You mean Henderson’s Relish? Far superior to Worcester sauce!

We have a bottle in the cupboard. But then we do live in Yorkshire. 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

We have a bottle in the cupboard. But then we do live in Yorkshire. 

They love their Hendo’s up here for sure. I’ve been flying the flag for Worcester sauce ever since I moved here. Only because I like to make out that the Midlands is better. To be fair though Henderson’s Relish is reasonably good. 

• Like 1

Worcestershire sauce is a more global product, you can get several knock offs here, it's used in a lot of cuisine videos from the states and has properties that lead to it being an ingredient more than just a sauce 

Did anyone go to the restaurant opposite the factory? Can't remember the exact name, every dish had a generous helping of it, was pretty good

Edited by villa4europe

22 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Wasn't me who recommended it, but bizarrely actually made a Chinese chicken curry with this tonight. Absolutely beautiful, just like Chinese takeaway! 

Tried the win yip one before which is pretty good too but think will stick with this one. Got it at ASDA as well so should be pretty easily available. 

Also agree with the Patak pastes, whilst not quite the same as an Indian takeaway, they are pretty damn good. Much better than the sauce in the jar and far easier than mixing up your own spice mix.

I think that was me that recommended it.Have since seen on FB apparently a Katsu version which would be worth a rattle.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

Oi, can we stick to pillorying those freaks who like gravy with their Fish please. This topics abut wrong 'uns not food recomendations, there's already a topic for that

It will be my pleasure. 

HEY.  IF YOU PUT GRAVY ON YOUR FISH YOU ARE A BLINKIN IDIOT AND NEED TO GIVE YOUR HEAD A RIGHT OLD WOBBLE. 

• Haha 2

Speaking of wrong uns I want to talk about Greggs. 

I used to love Starkies bakery.  They made the best sausage rolls I have every tasted. The best pineapple cakes I have ever tasted and used to sell whole chocolate cream or Victoria sponge cakes for very little. 

Greggs buy them and just shut them down, literally just shutting down their competition and what do we get? 

Massively inferior grey sludge sausage rolls. A pineapple cake which is a shadow of what it was, no goo - all dry flakey icing.   Expensive cakes. 

They did ham and cheese slices and quiches which were excellent then promptly drop them for katsu and other such nonsense. 

3 cooks was also better.  What we have is a nationally dominant chain offering expensive bland average food after buying and closing down a ton of decent regional bakers. 

Now the competition have gone they are abusing their dominant position increasing priced and lowering sizes left right and center. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Speaking of wrong uns I want to talk about Greggs. 

I used to love Starkies bakery.  They made the best sausage rolls I have every tasted. The best pineapple cakes I have ever tasted and used to sell whole chocolate cream or Victoria sponge cakes for very little. 

Greggs buy them and just shut them down, literally just shutting down their competition and what do we get? 

Massively inferior grey sludge sausage rolls. A pineapple cake which is a shadow of what it was, no goo - all dry flakey icing.   Expensive cakes. 

They did ham and cheese slices and quiches which were excellent then promptly drop them for katsu and other such nonsense. 

3 cooks was also better.  What we have is a nationally dominant chain offering expensive bland average food after buying and closing down a ton of decent regional bakers. 

Now the competition have gone they are abusing their dominant position increasing priced and lowering sizes left right and center. 

You are Firkin wrong!

• Haha 1

I have just made a typical lunc (for me), Cheese and ham on toast, I went to put worcestershire saunce on and put soy sauce on two pieces by accident before I noticed. I didn't have time or the ingredients to start again...

Not great

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, bickster said:

Oi, can we stick to pillorying those freaks who like gravy with their Fish please. This topics abut wrong 'uns not food recomendations, there's already a topic for that

Gravy with their Fish,  how would one get so desperate to even try it ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Gravy with their Fish,  how would one get so desperate to even try it ?

Lockdown must have took it's toll and he might have been battered when the OP posted it.

But there's a time and a plaice for that kind of thing.

• Haha 3

Felt a bit down today so back read a few pages of this thread, I'm all good now.

I did notice though that we have a few geniuses in our mist, quite a few nut jobs and a couple of you really do need to go and see someone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brumstopdogs said:

But there's a time and a plaice for that kind of thing.

You just had to go and do it didn't you.  Abandon thread for the next 5 pages now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â