The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

On 17/05/2020 at 00:51, KentVillan said:

Pork crackling, straight out of the oven, with apple sauce

Can I make it clear I am no way a vegetarian.  I couldn't live life without sausages and burgers and I LOVE a good steak. 

But I draw the line at consuming burnt pig skin.  What a horror show. 

On 17/05/2020 at 09:00, chrisp65 said:

My father puts cranberry sauce on his Christmas lunch.

I say ‘my’ father, I can’t really see how I’m the product of a man who basically puts jam on his roast dinner.

The bible and the Ten Commandments were basically a set of rules for their time, for the majority of people to live the best life they could. Basic common sense guidance to get us through with the minimum amount of repeating other people’s conflict and mistakes.

If the bible had to be started again, now, here. There would be something in the re write about gravy on fish and jam on meat. It would be some sort of cover all easy to remember one liner we could use for millennia to persecute perverts,

‘though shalt not defile thy food, the jam shall not lay with the potato, nor the gravy upon the seafood’

Something like that.

My philosophy on this is pretty simple. 

Why on earth would you have cranberry sauce on a turkey dinner when you can have more stuffing instead? 

• Like 2

On 21/05/2020 at 00:14, Stevo985 said:

Vinegar on chips has always baffled me.

It's not that nice for a start. But worse than that, it makes your chips soggy.

God damn another one. I don't think I can take anymore.   I really don't.  #prayforsidcow 

• Haha 3

On 21/05/2020 at 11:45, bickster said:

It depends, the bog standard curry sauce most chip shops sell is rank. However, there is one type I grew up with that is the dogs danglies. It was sold in what we knew as the bottom chip shop (to distinguish it from the top one) in my granddads village in Wales, it's rather fruity with of fruit and sultanas in it. For ages I thought it must have been made in-huse as you could never get it anywhere else. But since I've been living out these ways I have two chippies that sell the exact same curry sauce, I am blessed

The day I passed my driving test I drove straight down the A5 from Brum to Llandudno. 

On the pier I was delighted to see they offered gravy with chips and spent more time than I should have deciding if I should have gravy or curry sauce. 

I eventually plumped for curry sauce and to my complete horror he poured this weird runny "sauce" over them which was full of grapes and raisins. 

I was in utter shock I just didn't know how to react.  It remains to this day one of the most disappointing decisions I have ever made in my life and I still often think back on that day. 

You need to give your head a wobble. Chip shop curry sauce is a thing of beauty. There is no space in this world or the next for any curry sauce with fruit in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I have seen some absolute nonsense written on here.  A certain poster is taking it to new levels at the moment but this is the most abhorrent post I have ever seen written on this or any other websites. 

Hang your head in shame. 

It’s gross

On 21/05/2020 at 19:27, Xela said:

Worcestershire Sauce is the dogs danglies. 

During the lockdown panic buying height I couldn't get Worcestershire sauce which is basically a life essential for me. 

My wife managed to get something called Hendersons sauce which apparently is legendary in Sheffield.  It looks like Worcestershire sauce, it's packaged like Worcestershire sauce, it tastes like Worcestershire sauce with half the tasty ingredients taken out and mixed 50/50 with water. 

I imagine it's how a Heroin addict feels when taking methadone. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

A few musings after reading through this thread. 

I will happily have mint sauce with any roast meat dinner other than chicken.  I love it but yes as some poster said, mint jelly is an abomination. 

The one sauce that I miss more than anything is McDonald's mild mustard sauce. Dipping fries in that was heavenly. 

Suprised no one has mentioned Barbecue sauce on Pizza. A other abomination. 

You HAVE to have vinegar on chips and the notion it mushes them up is just weird.  Must be putting way too much on.  I wouldn't over vinegar battered fish but I literally soak fish fingers in vinegar. 

I love the flavour of chicken and lamb kebab meat and I cannot fathom why people utterly destroy those lovely delecate spices by smothering them in red hot chilli sauce. 

I don't understand why red hot chilli sauce exists.  See stupidly hot curries, same ting. What's the point other than macho bullshit. 

There was something else but I've forgotten it. 

Edited by sidcow

In lockdown I have learned to make my fav Chinese dishes. I love cooking and also realised that as only 1 in 20 Chinese restaurants are actually decent, I should just make the Chinese food how I want it. So now I can smash Chinese spare ribs, crispy shredded chicken or beef, egg fried rice and prawn toast. It’s all dead easy and way cheaper to do it yourself. Just need to learn to make prawn crackers!

I want to do the same with Indian food but no matter what I do I just can’t get that Indian takeaway taste. I don’t care if what I’m making is more genuine or whatnot, I want to recreate delicious greasy Indian takeaway heaven. Any suggestions??

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

In lockdown I have learned to make my fav Chinese dishes. I love cooking and also realised that as only 1 in 20 Chinese restaurants are actually decent, I should just make the Chinese food how I want it. So now I can smash Chinese spare ribs, crispy shredded chicken or beef, egg fried rice and prawn toast. It’s all dead easy and way cheaper to do it yourself. Just need to learn to make prawn crackers!

I want to do the same with Indian food but no matter what I do I just can’t get that Indian takeaway taste. I don’t care if what I’m making is more genuine or whatnot, I want to recreate delicious greasy Indian takeaway heaven. Any suggestions??

Prawn crackers are super easy but you need to go to an Asian grocery to get the little disks that you then fry. I don’t think you would make them from scratch?

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

There is a book called The Curry Secret that a friend suggested and it shows you how to make Indian takeaway food. He swears by it, I bought it and can’t vouch for it as I never made anything from it. 

• Thanks 2

Â