The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

I get that though, vinegar and gravy doesn’t always feel right, sometimes it does. 

I can forgive the lack of vinegar if there’s gravy in the equation.

Although personally, I’m a vinegar and gravy man. Only time I won’t apply vinegar is if they’re fries.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I get that though, vinegar and gravy doesn’t always feel right, sometimes it does. 

Although personally, I’m a vinegar and gravy man. Only time I won’t apply vinegar is if they’re fries.

Same. 

Chippy chips and oven chips absolutely need vinegar, but not fries. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Agree and the soggy chip merchants are obviously apply too much, at the wrong time or both.

Chicken salt on fries for me.

It's mad how many chip shops can't put salt and vinegar on properly, it's up there with serving the chips is a tray for me, sacrilege because of incompetent staff who can't wrap chips and owners who are trying to pinch pennies 

Was on holiday in Scotland last year, got some fish and chips by the sea (in Skye I think) and they used a spray bottle for the vinegar, never seen that before 

• Like 1

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

Agree and the soggy chip merchants are obviously apply too much, at the wrong time or both.

Chicken salt on fries for me.

Just looked up chicken salt, had never heard of it until now, thanks. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

My favourites are the Cajun fries from Five Guys. Orgasmic. 

One of the reasons I don't like 5 guys - the peanut oil fried chips - really not for me

The only thing I liked in 5 guys was the american drink machine with grape Fanta and the various cokes - but not proper mountain dew, or the best American drink which is obviously root beer

I was in the States in December, American food would probably tick a lot of boxes on this thread, root beer floater being one of them 

Edited by villa4europe

47 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You guys have gone frickin crazy.

Vinegar on chips is a standard, and as for saying it adds no flavour.......WTF, vinegar is a well strong flavour! (Unless you have coronavirus)

It adds a lot of flavour. It's just not a very nice flavour.

Certainly isn't worth it to have your chips feel like they've been passed under a tap

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It's mad how many chip shops can't put salt and vinegar on properly, it's up there with serving the chips is a tray for me, sacrilege because of incompetent staff who can't wrap chips and owners who are trying to pinch pennies 

Was on holiday in Scotland last year, got some fish and chips by the sea (in Skye I think) and they used a spray bottle for the vinegar, never seen that before 

I always put my own salt on chippy chips.

I don't like the two options of no salt, or approximately 7kg of salt, that chip shops seem to offer

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It adds a lot of flavour. It's just not a very nice flavour.

Certainly isn't worth it to have your chips feel like they've been passed under a tap

You’re not meant to leave the chips in a vat of vinegar overnight you know, just a light sprinkling.

When you jizz on the missus does she get soaked head to toe?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You’re not meant to leave the chips in a vat of vinegar overnight you know, just a light sprinkling.

When you jizz on the missus does she get soaked head to toe?

Any excuse to post a VT favourite 

1017C028-3128-46F2-AEE6-1CE096653D04.gif

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

One of the reasons I don't like 5 guys - the peanut oil fried chips - really not for me

The only thing I liked in 5 guys was the american drink machine with grape Fanta and the various cokes - but not proper mountain dew, or the best American drink which is obviously root beer

I was in the States in December, American food would probably tick a lot of boxes on this thread, root beer floater being one of them 

Root Beer is proper nasty. It’s like drinking fizzy Covonia. 

Edited by wazzap24
Little bit of the bubbly
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Don't like chip shop curry sauce. If your having curry sauce, it needs to be proper chinese or indian curry sauce. 

It depends, the bog standard curry sauce most chip shops sell is rank. However, there is one type I grew up with that is the dogs danglies. It was sold in what we knew as the bottom chip shop (to distinguish it from the top one) in my granddads village in Wales, it's rather fruity with of fruit and sultanas in it. For ages I thought it must have been made in-huse as you could never get it anywhere else. But since I've been living out these ways I have two chippies that sell the exact same curry sauce, I am blessed

chips without vinegar? Are you French?

But on the subject of chips and condiments. the Scottish can get tae f*** with their dirty habits. "Salt and Sauce?" No love get the proper vinegar out of the cupboard marked sassenachs please, do not even attempt to put that putrid bizarre mixture of brown sauce and vinegar on my chips

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

Does not compute

Pitta + Salad + Filling +/- sauce = kebab

Pitta + Salad = Mediterranean Weed Sandwich

I saw the notification and thought, yep, this will be salad related.

Cannot beat a chilled salad pitta smothered in hot sauce, getting a sweat on eating iceberg lettuce and tomato is one of life’s true pleasures.

Â