The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Yep. Red Bull, same. Yuck. 

Red bull and energy drinks are another thing altogether, I love fizzy drinks and flavoured coke* but energy drinks can get in the sea, jager bombs are disgusting because of the red bull**, had years of rounds on nights out of vodka red bull and jager bombs

* coca cola have a drink here called mexo mix, basically orange coke, sat drinking it now, good stuff, normal for the wife to order an orange juice and coke at the bar, they also put coke with beer for a shandy

** jager lemonade is the way to drink it 

22 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yes to salt and vinegar on my chips but don't slather my battered cod with vinegar! Hate that. 

My problem with battered cod is the ground rice, don't like it, usually results in me stripping the batter off and trying to get rid of it 

36 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Incidentally, I hate cheese, it bordered on a phobia for a time weirdly.

Ditto. Bloody horrible stuff. Taste, texture, smell eurgh

I get such funny looks when I tell people I don’t eat Pizza (I’ve Eaten a cheese less one once, pointless as everything falls off). 

36 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

My problem with battered cod is the ground rice, don't like it, usually results in me stripping the batter off and trying to get rid of it 

Ground rice? Ground. Rice. Ground **** ing RICE??? 

Batter is made from flour and beer! 

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Ground rice? Ground. Rice. Ground **** ing RICE??? 

Batter is made from flour and beer! 

They coat the fish in ground rice in order to get the batter to stick to it ;)

The white slimy stuff that's uncooked between the fish and the batter... Thats ground rice 

Edited by villa4europe

"Garlic bread? Garlic bread? Garlic? Bread? Am I hearin' you right? Garlic bread? No, thank you, I've got some milk roll, that'll do me"

55 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

They coat the fish in ground rice in order to get the batter to stick to it ;)

The white slimy stuff that's uncooked between the fish and the batter... Thats ground rice 

This sounds like a Chinese chippy kinda thing

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Ditto. Bloody horrible stuff. Taste, texture, smell eurgh

I get such funny looks when I tell people I don’t eat Pizza (I’ve Eaten a cheese less one once, pointless as everything falls off). 

Yeah it does but I am partial to a cheeseless pizza from dominos having discovered the create your own option a couple of years ago. Had never eaten a pizza until then.

Although my mates remind me regularly that without cheese it’s not a pizza, just bread with stuff on it :)

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Green stuff? We're talking about sauce here, spicy stuff, as if I have lettuce on a kebab, tomato and onion yes, green stuff?... what planet are you on?

We're talking about an intrinsic part of the kebab experience not the window dressing

You sir are a shandy kebab eater

I mean I don't eat them any more, but when I did there's no way I'd be ruining a kebab with onions and tomatoes. Rank.

• Thanks 1

I would avoid using the term bullshit but I have stood in chippies and seen fish dipped in batter, there wasnt any pre dipping in crushed rice. Not round these parts. 

But what do I know. 

https://www.vawhitley.co.uk/blog/rice-cones-to-use-or-not-use.html

Rice Cones - To Use Or Not To Use. Dusting fish with *Rice Cones or Rice Flour is a longstanding preparation technique used by many friers over many years. 

Edited by Seat68

On 21/05/2020 at 10:02, StefanAVFC said:

Got this chili bbq stuff over here. class.

What’s that then? I love the Heinz Curry Mango sauce. A friend had had it in Spain too so we took some back to the UK for them when we said that it’s over here.

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I would avoid using the term bullshit but I have stood in chippies and seen fish dipped in batter, there wasnt any pre dipping in crushed rice. Not round these parts. 

But what do I know. 

https://www.vawhitley.co.uk/blog/rice-cones-to-use-or-not-use.html

Can’t say I notice it every time but I can distinctly remember having a soggy white layer under the batter when we used to have regular chippy teas. I guess that I thought it was just less cooked batter mix on the inside though. Certainly wouldn’t have had it down as ground rice, but that’s basically a flour substitute, and a pre-dusting to make the batter stick is common in frying so this is completely believable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

What’s that then? I love the Heinz Curry Mango sauce. A friend had had it in Spain too so we took some back to the UK for them when we said that it’s over here.

Heinz | Sos Chilli Barbecue

In Biedro or Auchan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â