The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

Condiments with roasts:

All  Have gravy made from the fats off them.

Turkey - Cranberry sauce 

Pork - Crackling And apple sauce

Chicken - None

Beef - None 

Duck - Plum or cherry sauce

Lamb - Mint Sauce

Pigs in blankets and Yorkshire puddings can go with them all 

11 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Yorkshire puddings 

Ah yes , reminds me , in all this weirdness , I’m surprised nobody has brought up my Yorkshire puddings with treacle and ice cream tip from another thread 

12 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Condiments with roasts:

All  Have gravy made from the fats off them.

Turkey - Cranberry sauce 

Pork - Crackling And apple sauce

Chicken - None

Beef - None 

Duck - Plum or cherry sauce

Lamb - Mint Sauce

Pigs in blankets and Yorkshire puddings can go with them all 

Almost a perfect clean sweep! 

Just missing a big blob of horseradish with your beef... 

• Like 3

How do we feel about chucking the relevant sauce all over everything on the plate?

For example, if I have a lamb roast, I put mint sauce on everything. Same with horseradish and roast beef. The carrots, potatoes, parsnips, Yorkshire puds, stuffing, etc are all getting sauced.

Based on the number of incorrect and extremely ignorant opinions being expressed about mango chutney in this thread, I'm not confident I'll be getting intelligent feedback on this question, but just wanted to throw it out for discussion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

English mustard unless you're a sex offender.

Like IYR said, horseradish sauce. The hot version, not 'creamed'. And yes, I also put it on the potatoes, and - get this - sprouts. Weirdly, I actually love sprouts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Like IYR said, horseradish sauce. The hot version, not 'creamed'. And yes, I also put it on the potatoes, and - get this - sprouts. Weirdly, I actually love sprouts. 

Roast sprouts for me. In fact I don't really like any boiled veg except peas.

• Like 1

My Mom (born 1914) - British, Brummie and as old school as they come, liked cheese with apple pie. I don't think it's an American innovation. 

I don't like gravy, or chips for that matter.  Anything larger than fries is too much potato for me.  Those really skinny fries you get at GBK are my absolute ideal.  Can do thicker chips if I'm on the continent, they tend to be crispier and more flavourful than the mushy nonsense you get from a chippy over here.  My wife's capacity for chip-shop fare is terrifying, so if I do get forced into a chippy meal, I'm having a large cod (which I'll slather in reggae reggae sauce at home) and onion rings.

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My Mom (born 1914) - British, Brummie and as old school as they come, liked cheese with apple pie. I don't think it's an American innovation. 

It sounds weird but I think it would work.

You have fruit with a plate of cheese and biscuits so the premise is there. 

I've also had a cheese and jam sandwich before and it's a lot nicer than you might expect

• Like 1

Â