The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Reminds me of this magnificent beast. Bunny Chow, a dish that originated amonst the Indian community in South Africa. Essentially Hollowed out bread filled with a chicken curry that was taken to work to be eaten so much the same origins as a Cornish Pasty

bunny-chow.jpg

Available in any branch of Mowgli Street Food but unlike their other dishes should not be treated as something to be eaten tiffin style as the dish is plenty enough on its own.

Would that be Mowgli Street Food which in fact sells Restaurant food. 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Reminds me of this magnificent beast. Bunny Chow, a dish that originated amonst the Indian community in South Africa. Essentially Hollowed out bread filled with a chicken curry that was taken to work to be eaten so much the same origins as a Cornish Pasty

bunny-chow.jpg

Available in any branch of Mowgli Street Food but unlike their other dishes should not be treated as something to be eaten tiffin style as the dish is plenty enough on its own.

I make it with chilli con carne, hollowed out Vienna rolls, fill with chilli, cheese on top and under the grill 

If you want to resuse the bread from hollowing it out then rough bread crumbs and mix it with the cheese

So simple yet great food

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Would that be Mowgli Street Food which in fact sells Restaurant food.

Not sure what you mean. It's a restaurant chain owned and started by Nisha Katona in Liverpool. The food in the restaurant is based on the street food culture of India and further afield plus the cooking she's used to from her family, Hence it's called Mowgli Street Food

Just now, bickster said:

Not sure what you mean. It's a restaurant chain owned and started by Nisha Katona in Liverpool. The food in the restaurant is based on the street food culture of India and further afield plus the cooking she's used to from her family, Hence it's called Mowgli Street Food

It's one for the things that piss you off thread.  Street food is sold in the street.  That's the point. If it's sold 8n a restaurant it's not street food.

Also street food is supposed to be cheap. I assume they don't want to base their pricing model on street food. 

It's just something that annoys me intensely. 

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

That's the point. If it's sold 8n a restaurant it's not street food.

Thats not particularly true, way before Deliveroo, the Indians had tiffin delivery services, they've been doing it for many decades, your hot lunch delivered to you at work, so you can have your lunch still hot

Your ire is too literal, the street food dishes are also the same dishes you'd eat at home or in a restaraunt to varying degrees. What makes it "Street Food" is the tiffin boxes and the size of the portions (think of it as Indian Tapas), the idea being to order two or three dishes as the main meal (much like the traditional TIffin boxes). The food was very often cooked at home and taken to work, it was just eaten in the street. .The same could be said of SE Asian "Street Food", its not really street food, go to Singapore and go to a Hawkers Market, lots of different vendors selling their wares, but its all done inside and you sit at a table to eat it. We've got a couple of places in Liverpool based on this concept already but with food from all over the world and in one of them, different local restaurants have their own stalls selling their food (and I mean restaurants)

So has brum, digbeth dining club and of course London with Borough Market and other places of that ilk

Personally I think it's the future of fast food so it's great that villa tried to team up with them 

A few have them have "made it" and set up restaurants in grand Central and other places I think, definitely the original patty men and I'm sure the mac and cheese place 

• Like 1

On 02/04/2021 at 15:55, blandy said:

IMG_2043.jpeg

Can you guess what I had for m'dinner. S'been too long.

Hide contents

IMG_2042.jpeg

Too long for you? How do you think I feel?! It’s getting on for a **** year. Evidence will be posted here when that eventually changes.

Great pickled onion brand choice by the way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Thanks. They're my favourites. I can only sympathise with your barren spell. Don't they have Fish & Chips in Poland?

6 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Too long for you? How do you think I feel?! It’s getting on for a **** year. Evidence will be posted here when that eventually changes.

Lets hope lockdown and travel restrictions remain in place eh?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Thanks. They're my favourites. I can only sympathise with your barren spell. Don't they have Fish & Chips in Poland?

They have fish and they have frytki but they don’t have battered chips or battered fish or gravy (not even in KFC!) or curry sauce or mushy peas. And they pickle absolutely everything except onions and eggs (not that I would have the latter apart from for a joke).

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

This Local Fish & Chip Shop Have Started Selling Deep Fried BATTERED Chip Buttys - YouTube

id be all over that to be honest

also seeing as chip bap with gravy is my weapon of choice the splash of mint sauce could be a revelation 

go away gtfo GIF

(Not the deep fried chip butty but the addition of gravy AND mint sauce - evil child!) 

• Like 1

Â