The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

Mine give you a paper bag

Fish and chips come in a special box, kebab meat and chips obviously in a polystyrene tray and then just chips come on a small tray and then wrapped in paper

I don't like the small tray for a bag of chips, it's portion control, back in my days of working in a chippy you had a sheet of greaseproof paper and asbestos hands 

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Generally, around the country, do people get a bag to carry home their wrapped fried fish or is it the norm to have to kick it up the road?

Take my own. Plastic pollution is bad m’kay.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Ah, good local knowledge.

I suspect he’s keeping the 15p and just sticking it in his pocket.

Guaranteed he’s got about £1.35 by now that his missus knows nothing about.

Can confirm 135 is divisible by 15.

• Like 1

Long read:

The Hyper-Regional Chippy Traditions of Britain and Ireland

In the Inception of regional fish and chips, the first level is the fish and chips itself ─ fishing patterns and taste tends to carve Britain and Ireland into cod and haddock, with skate and rock perhaps more common in the south than the north. Chips are differentiated by the type of cooking fat; beef dripping traditionally, especially in the north, while the south, particularly London, prefers a blonder chip (perhaps the influence of Cypriots who stewarded the national dish and brought a fresher, Mediterranean frying style). Go down a level and you have condiments: the south doesn’t understand wetness and is content with mayo and ketchup, but in Wales and the north you have lineages of gravy and curry sauce, with vinegary brown sauce the condiment of choice in Scotland. Then the third level is the fish substitutes: sausage in batters, saveloys, smokies, puddings and pies. You can define whole swathes of countries by whether they know what scraps or a potato scallop is. Linguistically too ─ fish and chips or fish suppers; chippies, chip shops or chippers, these are all broadly regional variants that each of us insist is the correct version.

However, that’s not what today’s newsletter about. The level I’m interested in is further down; traditions that are specific to a county, or to a city, or to a part of a city, or perhaps even to a single chip shop...

Each of the following 19 dishes is local history on a polystyrene tray...

more

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Soooooooo. 

Ketchup/Curry Sauce. 

Smothered all over everything or left daintily at the side of your plate for dipping like a big girl? 

Dipping is the correct answer 😊 - guaranteed the right amount of sauce to chip ratio.

Otherwise the top chips get swamped and soggy and doesn’t leave enough sauce for the whole chip portion.

as long as there’s no gravy anywhere near the fish supper! 

29 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Soooooooo. 

Ketchup/Curry Sauce. 

Smothered all over everything or left daintily at the side of your plate for dipping like a big girl? 

IS the correct way of phrasing the question, obviously. Slather it over everything, like a winner.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Just now, Paddywhack said:

I don’t think VT would like my wife. Look what she had from the chippy tonight.

32382CB7-07F7-41C1-9B7A-53F47D284551.png.2cfecb6404999393872370ce09b61bfc.png

Obviously the mayo had to be out on a separate tiny plate, it would be weird otherwise. 

Wives are shit as mine finds this totally acceptable as well. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah you can beat a bit of mayo with your gravy. Stating the obvious but you need a pickled onion and some trifle to do it properly.

Not sure if you are missing out the profiteroles with minced turnip intentionally or not?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â