The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

Not crazy about apple sauce with pork. I do think it goes well with duck, but even then I usually give it a miss because it clashes horribly with red wine. 

25 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Apple sauce with pork is my god given right and if you take that from me you can prise the knife and fork from my cold dead hand. 

Wait , people north of Surrey use knifes and forks now ? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I object to the way this debate has now been framed.

Having the roadkill photo as first entry makes it look like that came first and now the rest of the world is criticising it in retrospect. Like some cultural judgement from places that have gone soft. It was never acceptable. Other places haven’t stopped putting gravy on fish, it’s incidental to progress, not a result of progress.

We didn’t start the virus debate with a nice picture of bat in gravy and then debate whether to change. We all knew it was **** wrong from post one. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I object to the way this debate has now been framed.

Having the roadkill photo as first entry makes it look like that came first and now the rest of the world is criticising it in retrospect. Like some cultural judgement from places that have gone soft. It was never acceptable. Other places haven’t stopped putting gravy on fish, it’s incidental to progress, not a result of progress.

We didn’t start the virus debate with a nice picture of bat in gravy and then debate whether to change. We all knew it was **** wrong from post one. 

You point me in the direction of the previous posts and I'll gladly merge them into here

1 minute ago, bickster said:

You point me in the direction of the previous posts and I'll gladly merge them into here

Well, there was possibly never a post of someone randomly choosing to state the obvious.

I doubt there’s a post anywhere that says, hey, you know what, we shouldn’t inject domestos. But then, later, it turns out that would have been a good quality post.

For future reference, don’t put custard on baked beans and don’t put vinegar in trifle. That should at least head off a couple of weird threads.

• Haha 1

Just seen this. Chips and gravy is a brilliant combo. Adding cheese is a masterstoke. Probably wouldn’t have it with fish and chips though but that’s because curry sauce goes better with fish. Also more than happy to have ketchup, tartare sauce or, the misunderstood king of chip-dipping condiments, mayonnaise. No salt, no vinegar thanks.

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

For future reference, don’t put custard on baked beans and don’t put vinegar in trifle. That should at least head off a couple of weird threads.

Well, yes. But the thing is... I'm pretty sure that nobody does those things (apart from Heston Blumenthal, obviously).Whereas we have a shameless confession, right here on VT, that somebody actually does put gravy on fish and chips. It's no good putting our heads in the sand and trying to deny it. It's going on, in our own communities. Your children could be next. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hmm, I need to check if this qualifies being a staple of Swedish hangoverness

Sausage on bread with ketchup, mustard and creamy shrimp-mayo

Roslagsgrill Instagram posts - Gramho.com

25 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

At the risk of being excluded from further commenting on heathens wrongly using pork and fish , I should probably confess that if I go to weddings and they have a chocolate fountain I dip cocktail sausages on a stick into it .... it’s surprisingly good and should be served at restaurants everywhere  

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

At the risk of being excluded from further commenting on heathens wrongly using pork and fish , I should probably confess that if I go to weddings and they have a chocolate fountain I dip cocktail sausages on a stick into it .... it’s surprisingly good and should be served at restaurants everywhere  

Went to a party once where they had glace cherries wrapped in bacon. They were surprisingly nice. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Went to a party once where they had glace cherries wrapped in bacon. They were surprisingly nice. 

Tbf bacon goes with everything ... not that you’d catch me eating cherries :puke:I

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Tbf bacon goes with everything ... not that you’d catch me eating cherries :puke:I

Are glace cherries even cherries? They seem like pure sugar + gelatine. 

1 hour ago, hogso said:

Peanut butter with chips. Yes yes yes. Put it on my face. 

Proper thick Dutch Indonesian peanut sauce + chips and yep

Also with the fruit sauce / jam, Ive got in to crusty bread rolls with pate and blackcurrant jam, delicious 

Edited by villa4europe

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Are glace cherries even cherries? They seem like pure sugar + gelatine. 

When I worked at the cookie factory in Hartlebury we tried for ages to get glaced cherries in to a recipe, the amount of liquid sugar in them **** all the machines though, we could could get some incredible stuff in the test kitchen but then couldn't mass produce them 

• Like 1

Â