Great players who were crap at Villa

KentVillan

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Did Villa have both leading goalscorers of Euro 2000 (Savo) and 2004 (Baros) on the books?

and David Villa was Euro 2008 top scorer ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Alan Thompson should get a mention too. Thought he would fit right in but only saw glimpses of what he could do. 

Him and Agathen were hugely effective for Celtic. A couple of seasons before Agathe arrived at Villa Park he was linked with a move to Juventus. Shaun Maloney is another who probably had the attributes to be better than what he produced but his career really only had glimpses of excellence. None mentioned in this post could be considered great though.

• Like 1

On 17/05/2020 at 16:21, MaVilla said:

rather than "great players who were crap for Villa", below who i reckon "didnt live up to expectation":

Tommy Elphick                     -  3.5m, leader, professional, should have been an important part of our promotion team, mostly poor/average (read his story on Villa when he joined, for me shows how its probably as much the clubs fault players failed, as the players themselves)     

Scott Hogan                          - 10m, decent scoring record in Championship, bombed badly.

Aaron Tshibola                      - 5m, highly rated, bombed.

Ross McCormack                - 13m, had a very good scoring record in the Championship, bombed with us. (terrible financially for us)

Richie De Laet                      - 2m, granted not a brilliant player, but the expectation should have been much higher, loaned out, bombed.

James Bree                          - 3m, signed as a high potential youngster, surprise surprise didnt develop.

Pierluigi Gollini                    - 4.5m, highly rated, went on to be a great keeper in Italy.

Henri Lansbury                   - 3m, had a very good time at Forest, bombed with us, very expensive failure based on salary etc.

Micah Richards                  - Nuff said.

Libor Kozak                         - 6m from lazio, never got going, injuries didnt help.

Charles N.Zogbia               - 10m, Nuff said.

Stephen Ireland                  - 9m as part ex for Milner, nuff said.

Eric Djemba Djemba         - 2.2m from Manure, sigh......

Bosko Balaban                   - 7m in 2001..........nuff said.

Sasa Curcic                        - 5.5m in 96, was meant to be the missing link to give us the title.....yeah.......nuff said.

Its like looking back down the toilet after a night on a hot vindaloo.

• Haha 1

On 18/05/2020 at 12:16, ferguson1 said:

Sasa Curcic.  Very excited about him joining us, but turned out to be a dud.  Shame, as seemed really talented. 

Never understood why we sold Tommy Johnstone and bought him 

10 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

That was Villa's jumping the shark moment. Mostly utter garbage since.

Yep, hard to imagine any villa fan ever even coming close to suggesting that was a decent deal for us, we lost our best player who was an absolute grafter in midfield for a measly sum of money and a luxury player who coasted through games, we had no idea how to use him and at a time where we started to hit the slide we got a guy with questionable commitment to football

To make it worse at the time I can remember city's chief (cook?) was an absolute dick, treated us like we were something on man city's shoe

That would be the equivalent of us taking £30m and lingard for Jack this summer

Ireland needed to be given a free role in the front 3 but we ended up playing him in the early games in a central two with Petrov for some bizarre reason. I also get the feeling we signed him when we were going to give McDonald the permanent job (they'd worked together at ROI) and then Newcastle 6-0 happened and that idea was scrapped. Houllier took over and didn't rate Ireland one bit so from that point it was a disaster deal.

A three behind the striker of Young-Ireland-Downing would've been interesting but instead Young played as number 10 the whole season which I didn't reallty get unless it was to pander to him to sign a new deal. We needed another CM to replace Milner but didn't do anything there until January when Makoun and Bradley came in.

Actually come to think of it....Michael Bradley. Hardly played here yet played well in 2010 world cup for US and also in Serie A for Chievo and Roma, good box to box central midfielder so could've developed into some sort of Milner replacement if we'd actually played him more.

Edited by VillaChris

1 hour ago, Silent_Bob said:

Michael Boulding was crap. But he was a great talent. In tennis though.

And what about the 'Next Pelè' - Nii Lamptey. Crap here, but great in Championship Manager.

We only signed him to play doubles,, with the bloke whose name is still on the Witton Lane stand. 😉

Dwight Yorke - could have been a great cricketer, best mates with Brian Lara but chose football instead.

James Milner - could have been a great athlete, long distance and 100m, and an accomplished cricketer at youth level too. But he chose football instead. 

Jack Grealish - could have been the star of Birmingham’s Gaelic Football scene, but yes you guessed it, he chose football instead. 

So much wasted talent there...

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I think Ireland was already washed up when he arrived at Villa.

There's a reason to why City wanted to get rid in the first place.

Yes he never did much after leaving us. Too lightweight. First time I realised he wasn’t up to it was when Newcastle overran us 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, EastEndVillan said:

Guy Whittingham is one that springs to mind. Scored for fun at Pompey, couldn't hit a cows ass with a banjo when he got here. Didn't we swap him for Talys?

We bought the wrong one....should have bought his partner paul walsh.

We did it with cascarino too, should have bought Teddy sheringham, instead.

We did it right once, we bought Luc Nilis, but that was just a tragedy.....only played 2 games and i still remember him.....so much for the settling in, argument, he just smashed it from the get go.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Yes he never did much after leaving us. Too lightweight. First time I realised he wasn’t up to it was when Newcastle overran us 

But we love lightweights......its our forte.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

But we love lightweights......its our forte.

Mata is lightweight but had a wonderful career.

Nothing wrong with them. But they need support around them to be effective and play in the right system.

Â