Unidentified Flying Objects

Straggler

1 minute ago, danceoftheshamen said:

So far as our current knowledge tells us 🤨

Yes, if we discount any current knowledge, then absolutely there could be space aliens visiting. They might even be disguised as bollards, or sparrows, or clouds.

Perhaps we are just a dream that an alien is having.

But we’re back on stoner propositions again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, limpid said:

Still can't travel faster than C.

When I was taught waveguide theory (used in radar etc.) it was explained to me that the radar wave enters the waveguide at one end, say a 10metre straight waveguide, and emerges the other end the time later that it takes C to travel 10 metres (10 divided by 3*10-8)s.

But it was also explained that the radar waves propagate along the waveguide by"bouncing" from one surface to the next - so they actually travel further than the 10 metres as they bounce from top to bottom.

When we pointed out that this meant the were travelling faster than the speed of light, and "wasn't that impossible" we were told both statements were nevertheless true.

It's always stuck in my mind.

Anyway, space aliens disguised as sparrows. That'd be nice. They seem so happy.

29 minutes ago, blandy said:

When I was taught waveguide theory (used in radar etc.) it was explained to me that the radar wave enters the waveguide at one end, say a 10metre straight waveguide, and emerges the other end the time later that it takes C to travel 10 metres (10 divided by 3*10-8)s.

But it was also explained that the radar waves propagate along the waveguide by"bouncing" from one surface to the next - so they actually travel further than the 10 metres as they bounce from top to bottom.

When we pointed out that this meant the were travelling faster than the speed of light, and "wasn't that impossible" we were told both statements were nevertheless true.

It's always stuck in my mind.

Anyway, space aliens disguised as sparrows. That'd be nice. They seem so happy.

Wave / particle duality innit (and a professor in the field should have been able to explain why). Also, photons don't move at the speed of light except in vacuum. Information cannot move faster than C - that's what causality is. Of course, these underpinnings of science might be wrong, but probably only incrementally and only in specific frames of reference.

The neighbour's cat kills aliens.

A photon is a UFO until it is observed. Except it's not really flying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, limpid said:

a professor in the field should have been able to explain why

As you may have guessed, he wasn't a professor :). Also, he wouldn't let me go to Rotterdam in 82. Such was the lot of apprentices in the RAF.

• Like 1

Our sparrows are getting closer and closer to us. Physically, not emotionally, I presume from their 5:30am attic based riots they couldn’t give a shit about our emotions.

I think it’s 20% that everything is quieter and more peaceful, 80% familiarity as we’ve been out on the garden for most meals most days.

We’ve also got magpies, they are **** amazing. Cheeky little beggars.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Our sparrows are getting closer and closer to us. Physically, not emotionally, I presume from their 5:30am attic based riots they couldn’t give a shit about our emotions.

I think it’s 20% that everything is quieter and more peaceful, 80% familiarity as we’ve been out on the garden for most meals most days.

We’ve also got magpies, they are **** amazing. Cheeky little beggars.

Robins are the best. Totally fearless. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Robins are the best. Totally fearless. 

We have a robin up the allotment that will attempt to perch on the spade after every dig if you stop for a second’s rest, to inspect the new earth for snacks.

• Like 3

Magpies can do one. Wouldn't mind them getting abducted and probed. 

That parakeet I was on about qualified for this thread when I didn't know what it was. Trying to find out what the big Brown thing we saw in designated exercise sector 357 with up turned wing tips is now. 

Sky news reporting FYI. It's a drone / unmanned military vehicle is still the most likely explanation.  When you don't have the ungainly meat sack in the machine they can get way more creative about how the it is designed and therefore how it moves.  I do have a theory about why an alien species might visit earth and behave in the way these objects are, but I'm writing a novel that relies on it for a plot device so you will just have to wait until I'm published before you find out what it is.

Edited by Straggler
The truth is out there

Â