All time Villa XI for Villa Park - Midfielders

OutByEaster?

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

What about Douglas Luiz?

Still a lot to do to convince me.....but he has time to develop on his side.

He needs dedicated coaching to turn him in to an effective player.

We need dominant players in the middle to give us a resillience the other players can play off.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Still a lot to do to convince me.....but he has time to develop on his side.

He needs dedicated coaching to turn him in to an effective player.

We need dominant players in the middle to give us a resillience the other players can play off.

Do you think McGinn is a dominant player?

11 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Do you think McGinn is a dominant player?

When he is on form yes....on form ,John wins crucial tackles and his turn overs, create attacks.... despite his ability to tackle, i see him as a more offensive player. 

I would like to see us sign a top CDM

personally, i would be looking for a Patrick Viera type, big powerful presence, who could play......maybe, i am setting my sights high, but even a slightly lesser version, would be great.

There must be one out there, if we look hard enough.

Edited by TRO

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

When he is on form yes....on form ,John wins crucial tackles and his turn overs, create attacks.... despite his ability to tackle, i see him as a more offensive player. 

I would like to see us sign a top CDM

personally, i would be looking for a Patrick Viera type, big powerful presence, who could play......maybe, i am setting my sights high, but even a slightly lesser version, would be great.

There must be one out there, if we look hard enough.

With our current league position, I think it will be tough to recruit a top CDM. Personally, I still have high hopes for Nakamba and Luiz

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

With our current league position, I think it will be tough to recruit a top CDM. Personally, I still have high hopes for Nakamba and Luiz

I think if our owners share the ambition of any top players, they can be persuaded, in the same way Robinho was the first one in at Man City under Sheik Mansour.

You have to start somewhere, to show your intent. and others will come.....signing the likes we have, will attract the same standard.....The business is tough in general....but mediocrity is tough too, tough to live with.

These good/top  players know exactly the level of player they want to share a dressing room with.....as a young sought after player, you learn best, from playing with other good players.....so they gravitate towards them.

We have to up the Ante and be ruthless in pursuing better quality.

Its not being clever, its being brave.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think if our owners share the ambition of any top players, they can be persuaded, in the same way Robinho was the first one in at Man City under Sheik Mansour.

You have to start somewhere, to show your intent. and others will come.....signing the likes we have, will attract the same standard.

These good/top  players know exactly the level of player they want to share a dressing room with.

We already have one top player (Grealish), McGinn isn’t far behind either, perhaps other players will see the light. As you rightly say, top players attract other top players

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We already have one top player (Grealish), McGinn isn’t far behind either, perhaps other players will see the light. As you rightly say, top players attract other top players

The thing is Football is dynamic not static.

You are either moving forward or moving backwards in terms of stature.....there is no inbetween over a reasonable period of time.

as fans we need drive too and not be complacent....That does not mean moaning at the club every 5 minutes, but it does mean not accepting second best as the Norm.

These things do take time, when you have had 10 years of demise like us.....but Incremental improvement, no matter how small, should be gained and built up on.....if we see static, something is not right.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

but if you sit on them and expect them to carry you through, that will only last for so long.

They will get itchy feet.....The club needs to scratch them, by bringing in better quality.

This with Grealish is nothing new......some of us old uns have seen it so many times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

but if you sit on them and expect them to carry you through, that will only last for so long.

They will get itchy feet.....The club needs to scratch them, by bringing in better quality.

This with Grealish is nothing new......some of us old uns have seen it so many times.

A few variables to consider now though. 

1. When will football resume

2. What effect the coronavirus has  on transfers

3. What division are we going to be in. 

Edited by PaulC

27 minutes ago, PaulC said:

A few variables to consider now though. 

1. When will football resume

2. What effect the coronavirus has  on transfers

3. What division are we going to be in. 

I have as much idea as what next weeks lottery numbers will be.

I mentioned to John Lerwill, that we were doing this yesterday. John has written several books on Villa and was also the club's historian. I asked him what his selections would would be. He gave me: Dennis Mortimer, Gordon Cowans, Joe Bache and Peter McParland.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John said:

I mentioned to John Lerwill, that we were doing this yesterday. John has written several books on Villa and was also the club's historian. I asked him what his selections would would be. He gave me: Dennis Mortimer, Gordon Cowans, Joe Bache and Peter McParland.

For some reason I always thought you were John Lerwill 😂

• Haha 1

On 24/04/2020 at 23:22, OutByEaster? said:

I reckon this is the hard one, for me, Cowans and Morley are the players I grew up on, Mortimer lifted the cup and so much more, Barry was our best midfielder for  a decade and I loved watching Tony Daley, I love watching Grealish but beyond that there's just opinions - it's not like goalscorers who have a handy number next to them - it's one where for me, people I've seen play have an advantage.

Much as Sid, Morley and Sir Dennis all deserve their places. If we are going to have a right midfield slot then Des Bremner has to get in too. Without his energy and sheer tenacity we would have struggled, yet another under rated player whose efforts seem to e ignored whenever these things are raised.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, John said:

They would be my subs.

just kidding John.

PS John While I have got you.....My Villa Bible "Aston Villa" written by Rob Bishop & Frank Holt needs bringing up to the modern day,finishes 2009/2010( Fantastic book of stats)....Would John Lerwill know if such a task could be done.?

Edited by TRO

7 hours ago, LancsVillan said:

Much as Sid, Morley and Sir Dennis all deserve their places. If we are going to have a right midfield slot then Des Bremner has to get in too. Without his energy and sheer tenacity we would have struggled, yet another under rated player whose efforts seem to e ignored whenever these things are raised.

Ha Ha......A wise old Owl....Good shout.

Any good side has one....but he was not free scoring eye candy, so only the discerning eye could detect his worth......sadly, I couldn't when I was in my youth.

Quick story......I was in just my thirties, when Des was doing his thing and I thought I understood the game, I didn't really appreciate Des as much as Cowans and Mortimer and often said so to my mates, who didn't disagree. I was quite disparaging towards him, regretfully, as I got older and began to learn the finer arts of the game, I realised what a plonker I was for not seeing his work properly.....years later,In the corporate one day, I explained to Des my thoughts of those days and my regret for being so stupid....He just laughed and said "Ah well better late than never"

He was largely what we are missing today....The architect and platform/engine room of that great side.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

They would be my subs.

just kidding John.

PS John While I have got you.....My Villa Bible "Aston Villa" written by Rob Bishop & Frank Holt needs bring up to the modern day,finishes 2009/2010( Fantastic book of stats)....Would John Lerwill know if such a task could be done.?

Not bad subs. ;) 

The original "Aston Villa" was published in 1988, a second edition was published in 1992 and it was not updated until 2010, but I guess you already know that from your own book. I understand he's hoping to do an update for the club's 150th in 4 years time. 

Edited by John
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, John said:

Not bad subs. ;) 

The original "Aston Villa" was published in 1988, a second edition was published in 1992 and it was not updated until 2010, but I guess you already know that from your own book. I understand he's hoping to do an update for the club's 150th in 4 years time. 

I hope I last that long.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I hope I last that long.

I hope that we all will.🤞We all need to try to be as positive about it, as Rob Bishop is. "Four more years" as they say in the USA. :cheers:

• Like 1

On 28/04/2020 at 09:21, John said:

@John wasn't McParland a centre forward?

(Also Johnny Dixon)

Â