All time Villa XI for Villa Park - Midfielders

OutByEaster?

These are so hard to do of players never seen. 
But for me 

Platt 
Cowans

(neither which I really saw for us, but reputation alone)

Taylor

Townsend (last Captain to win something, also part of the 94 midfield)

Grealish 

3 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

For me it was Plant, that's when I started regularly going to Villa Park.

50 goals in 120 games from midfield is some record, legend for me.

I know obviously about Cowans too but he was a bit before my time, well his best years.

didn't he sing for Led Zeppelin.😁

• Haha 1

I'd really like to find a place for Grealish, not sure it can be justified.

No player has brought me more true joy watching us, maybe Yorkie, but he was generally in much better teams.

Cowans, Grealish, Barry in my team. in some form.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I'd really like to find a place for Grealish, not sure it can be justified.

No player has brought me more true joy watching us, maybe Yorkie, but he was generally in much better teams.

Cowans, Grealish, Barry in my team. in some form.

Why can’t it be justified? He’s been carrying us for a long time now

Morley, Cowans, Grealish... and then too many to pick from... seems weird we don't have a midfield these days (apart from Grealish)... but those three need a steady man with them, so I say Mortimer.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TRO said:

For me Alex Cropley moved us up a few gears from the doldrums.....He could tackle and scheme in equal measures, until that dreadful tackle by Ally Brown finished him.

i know he may not qualify for the criteria......but a fine, fine, player, who Imo transformed us at the time, back to respectability.....wouldn't be right to not mention him.

@TRO did Cropley play centrally or down one of the wings? 

Again, going to go for who i’ve seen.   Cowans was fantastic, as was Barry.  However, Platt was something else. Work rate, awareness and goals.  Just brilliant.

Favourite winger - Tony Daley. Closely followed by Birch and Young.

Platt's stats for us were ridiculous, he'll surely be in a lot of teams, but before my time. I'd probably go Young, Merson, Barry, Grealish as my four best. Petrov just misses out. Grealish getting in is going on his talent alone, as Petrov and other midfielders from past years have achieved more with the club. I also agree Taylor should be mentioned here, not the most glamorous of players and didn't ever get an England call up (surprisingly), but was a very consistent player for us and loved the club. Strangely, most of our best midfielders (Petrov aside) have been English. Very few foreign playmakers to play in a Villa side. I wonder if that will change in the coming years - it would be nice to sign an Alonso, Neves, Fernandes or Van der Vaart for a change as opposed to so many of the disappointing signings we've seen for overseas midfielders. 

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

@TRO did Cropley play centrally or down one of the wings? 

Centrally.....but could come out wide on ocassions, was fierce in the tackle too....could drop a ball on a sixpence, like Sid, very versatile across the midfield ......when sid come on the scene, reminded me of Cropley.....Broke his leg in the centre circle IIRC in a challenge with Ally Brown.....that might indicate where he did most of his work.

Andy Gray, introduced me to him, went out for drinks several times with him, Andy always teased me for being  a tad in awe of Alex.....I said to Andy once, I might be your mate, but i am also a villa fan, I am entitled to be in awe.....he just laughed.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Platt was the best player i've seen play for us. He was fantastic. 

He had a great awareness and sense of positioning.....his ghosting runs were legendary.

for a midfielder his goal scoring was phenomenal.

not bad for £250,000 from Crewe.

I have always maintained these players are out there, just needs the conkers to take a gamble and of course loads of foresight/Nous.

It always fascinates me, when a player like Platt comes along and folk say " you'll never find another like that for that money"........ and low and behold, clubs do.

Vardy, Mahrez, McGinn.....just a couple of examples.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Morley, Cowans, Grealish... and then too many to pick from... seems weird we don't have a midfield these days (apart from Grealish)... but those three need a steady man with them, so I say Mortimer.

I do find it amazing too, the midfield is not balanced right.....I also find it amazing that we have no midfield General.

I think our team is crying out for one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I do find it amazing too, the midfield is not balanced right.....I also find it amazing that we have no midfield General.

I think our team is crying out for one.

I think Nakamba can be that player

On 25/04/2020 at 13:40, TRO said:

For me Alex Cropley moved us up a few gears from the doldrums.....He could tackle and scheme in equal measures, until that dreadful tackle by Ally Brown finished him.

i know he may not qualify for the criteria......but a fine, fine, player, who Imo transformed us at the time, back to respectability.....wouldn't be right to not mention him.

Nice one. It really rankles me still that Ally Brown got away with the dangerous wreckless tackle that broke his leg and finished his career. Yes he came back but was never the same. But for that broken leg he would have been one of the title winners and European cup winners. 

• Like 1

Â