Any 70s or 80s coppers on this forum?

TimTort

In these tough times, my wife’s dad has been collecting and putting together some amusing stories about policing in the seventies and eighties. Times were so different back then it’s hard to comprehend. Some are good to post publicly, some might be better in private! But any interest in sharing a few? Or anyone able to contribute any to pass the time? Nothing anti-police, just a few smiles at things that happened.

As a member of the public I'm struggling to think of any  memories of that era  that wouldn't be anti-police. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, TimTort said:

policing in the seventies and eighties. Times were so different back then it’s hard to comprehend. 

Would it be much different to now?

Obviously much less tech, probably less stabbings... but surely general crime and therefore police work doesn't really change.

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

Would it be much different to now?

Obviously much less tech, probably less stabbings... but surely general crime and therefore police work doesn't really change.

It is very different. Police officers are viewed very differently and treated very differently. And that’s inside and outside the service. Some of the stories I’ve been given are remarkable. Nothing outrageous but the sort of things that would never happen nowadays.

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

@Robtaylor200 @TheStagMan

Does Towbar Tone have an account on this forum?

31 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I dont think he does. Wishing him well in his mansion in Cornwall though. Hope he is well

Oh f**k I hope not, me and Denjo have actually been in the same room as him. 

He caused me to leave the OS Forums, well until I went back (at the request of the other mods) specifically to ban him

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TimTort said:

It is very different. Police officers are viewed very differently and treated very differently. And that’s inside and outside the service. Some of the stories I’ve been given are remarkable. Nothing outrageous but the sort of things that would never happen nowadays.

My old man was in the force. Joined in '75 or '76 I think. 

He loved it for the first 15-20 years. Hated it by the end. Basically became an admin job. 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Oh f**k I hope not, me and Denjo have actually been in the same room as him. 

He caused me to leave the OS Forums, well until I went back (at the request of the other mods) specifically to ban him

None of that surprises me really. But he is exactly what the OP is after.

@TimTort If you are interested in Australia as well, I can certainly give you some. Corruption was rife back then.

There's actually a TV series called Underbelly which will give you the story, more or less, and you can see for yourself. I'm good friends with a family who featured on the show.

If of interest, Google the Walsh Street police shootings to get a taste for how bitter the feud was back then, and how the police were basically their own criminal syndicate.

But I'm not sure any of this is what you're looking for. Hence why I suggested Towbar Tone. He's an ex-copper and I'm pretty confident would've been active then.

11 minutes ago, maqroll said:

One of my uncles was a cop in the 70's and 80's in Massachusetts. He was fired for excessive force. 😬

I can only presume ‘excessive force’ is 70’s U.S. cop code for machine gun.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

None of that surprises me really. But he is exactly what the OP is after.

@TimTort If you are interested in Australia as well, I can certainly give you some. Corruption was rife back then.

There's actually a TV series called Underbelly which will give you the story, more or less, and you can see for yourself. I'm good friends with a family who featured on the show.

If of interest, Google the Walsh Street police shootings to get a taste for how bitter the feud was back then, and how the police were basically their own criminal syndicate.

But I'm not sure any of this is what you're looking for. Hence why I suggested Towbar Tone. He's an ex-copper and I'm pretty confident would've been active then.

Thanks, appreciate that.

2 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

I'm friends with him on Facebook if you want me to ask....

I'm not fussed, just checking to try and help the OP out because I remember Tone sharing some on the job stories, some were interesting reads.

I'll leave it up to you but appreciate you writing back regardless.

3 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

I'm friends with him on Facebook if you want me to ask....

Of course, I’d love to share some of the stories but I wouldn’t want to cause any work or run the risk he might be disappointed with my offerings! But, your call really... and thanks.

17 hours ago, Xela said:

My old man was in the force. Joined in '75 or '76 I think. 

He loved it for the first 15-20 years. Hated it by the end. Basically became an admin job. 

My Uncle was actually Chief Inspector of Cannock police force in the 80s, He was also Worshipful of the Uttoxeter Free Masons (no surprises there) My dad and mom went to  two or three of their does. My dad used to tell a story of how my Uncle was so pissed he would be driving with his feet on the steering wheel (my old chap did exaggerate) But he got my old chap off with a couple of speeding tickets too. 

Â