Baseball

ianrobo1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "funny" thing is. If the Yanks are eliminated today, you can't blame the pitching but rather the combined (lack of) production from A-Rod and Tex.

This past year, Major League pitching has had a shadow cast over it by one man and five syllables: Just-in Ver-land-er.

He is a beast. Consistently hit triple digits with his fastball from inning 1 through inning 8 last night. The likes of Cano, A-Rod, Tex and Swisher just couldn't get anywhere near him.

Yankees 2-0 up on a double by Jeter. AJ struggled badly and walked the bases loaded in the first but was rescued by a great leaping catch from Granderson. He's settled down nicely since, but let's see what happens as we head to the bottom of the fourth!

5 2/3 of one-run ball from AJ has to be considered very, very good for the Yankees. Granderson with another great catch to end the sixth, diving to get Peralta's drive to left center off Soriano with a man on first. Huge out for the Yankees. So-Ro-Mo rarely give up three through 7-8-9.

This is heading back to NYC as the Yankees send 11 batters to the plate and score six in the eighth. You have to be optimistic about game five as the offense is starting to look very good again.

It's all very much still alive in the LDSs. Both Arizona and St. Louis have managed to take the series back to Minnesota and Philly respectively, and tonight we have game five between the Yankees and Tigers in the Bronx. <3October<3

Get in. (Sorry, Mich!)

Think I'll be supporting the Brewers from here on in.

That's alright :)

Like I said earlier, we're out not because of the pitching but because of the offensive (lack of) performance from the supposed big bats of A-Rod, Tex and Swisher. The teams production with RISP last night just wasn't worthy of a place in the ALCS.

I have no beef with Nova for giving up back to back solos in the first. He's a rookie and he had a problem with his forearm.

I'm okay with the disappointing performance of CC in this series, because of the circumstances with the suspended game one.

I have no ill-feelings towards Joe Girardi. It wasn't his fault.

I am in awe of the great work our bullpen does day in and day out, as am I hugely impressed by Brett Gardner's performance and how gracefully Jorge Posada has ended his years of brilliant service to the Yankees. I am positive Robinson Cano is going to be the best player in baseball.

But I have hardly ever been mooe disappointed in another person in my adult life as I am in Alex Rodriguez right now. Yes, he's suffered injuries but frickin hell what a shower of shite this series has been from a guy we still owe 30 mill/year until 2017! Even with the bases loaded with one out, I had no confidence in us scoring with Alex at the plate. What levels of suckitude can you take from a guy who's supposed to be the best player in baseball? **** me, if this guy is the reason we end up trading Jesus Montero because we can't find a place for him in the line-up I'll kill myself.

Fair play to the Tigers for earning their place in the ALCS. I still feel the Yankees are the better side, but not in this series. Detroit were smarter and did better in the clutch. Good luck to them, they've deserved it.

Oh well, at least I can go back to sleeping in the night now. And maybe take up jogging. Go Brew Crew!

1903 in the life of erratic pitcher Rube Waddell, cataloged by Cooperstown historian Lee Allen:

“He began that year sleeping in a firehouse in Camden, New Jersey, and ended it tending bar in a saloon in Wheeling, West Virginia. In between those events he won 22 games for the Philadelphia Athletics, played left end for the Business Men’s Rugby Football Club of Grand Rapids, Michigan, toured the nation in a melodrama called The Stain of Guilt, courted, married and became separated from May Wynne Skinner of Lynn, Massachusetts, saved a woman from drowning, accidentally shot a friend through the hand, and was bitten by a lion.”

And that was just 1903. In one game against the Athletics, Waddell was at bat in the eighth inning with two out and a tying run on second. The catcher threw to second, trying to pick off the runner, but overthrew, and the ball went into the outfield. The runner took off for home. As he rounded third, the center fielder hurled the ball in to home plate …

… and Waddell, to everyone’s horror, knocked it out of the park.

He was declared out for interference. “They’d been feeding me curves all afternoon,” he told a flabbergasted Connie Mack, “and this was the first straight ball I’d looked at!”

Futility Closet

Â