Baseball

ianrobo1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't see anything but Yankees/Philthies with the latter winning. Either way it's a bought Championship.

Explain please?

It's not all that difficult to win when you massively outspend anyone is it? The Yankees and Philthies are easily the top spenders in their respective leagues.

I don't hate the Yankees though so if they win it I don't mind. :lol:

And PM'd you for the fantasy league next season Maqroll.

Don't see anything but Yankees/Philthies with the latter winning. Either way it's a bought Championship.

Explain please?

It's not all that difficult to win when you massively outspend anyone is it? The Yankees and Philthies are easily the top spenders in their respective leagues.

There's a difference between having a big pay roll and necessarily "buying" a championship.

Look at the likely play off roster for the Yankees and the guys who have helped them win the AL East. There is more home grown talent and smart trades than there are big contract FA signings. And to win, the Yanks have to beat the Sox who also have a reasonably big pay roll.

Obviously, the Yankees have a big advantage with their finances but it has become a bit of a pet peeve of mine that a lot of people underestimate their achievements because of it.

Explain please?

There's a difference between having a big pay roll and necessarily "buying" a championship.

Look at the likely play off roster for the Yankees and the guys who have helped them win the AL East. There is more home grown talent and smart trades than there are big contract FA signings. And to win, the Yanks have to beat the Sox who also have a reasonably big pay roll.

Obviously, the Yankees have a big advantage with their finances but it has become a bit of a pet peeve of mine that a lot of people underestimate their achievements because of it.

The Yankees renaissance (1996-ish) has a lot in common with Man U. Both clubs developed good young talent, and then had the money to splash out on big signings. Winning formula.

matt kemp means business this year; 40/40 is a possibility.

posted at the start of the season. could he pull this off? needs five more long balls to top off a truly sensational season. #KEMvP

make that four needed. three doubles and a dinger tonight vs the giants.

The AL wildcard race has got ridiculously close. Sox are on a ferocious downward spiral this September; Rays are chasing hard. (Looks like the Angels are almost done.)

Sox and Yankees are 4-4 in the 14th inning of the 159th game. If the Sox lose this, the Rays and Sox are tied with three games to go. If the Sox win, they're a game up.

[4-4 in extra innings Sox-Yankees has been a harbinger of unlikely Sox successes in the past (see, games 4 and 5 of ALCS 2004.)]

C'mon Sox! Turn it around here!

Well, you had to know that was going to happen when the Yankees went to Scott **** Proctor. Second only to Sergio Mitre in terms of suckitude :lol:

Congrats on an important W. Be prepared to have to sweep the O's though, as the Yankees use the last three games to prepare for the ALDS. And as the Sox know better than anyone, Baltimore have been very tough down the stretch!

Re: Verlander for MVP, how do you guys feel about pitchers getting the MVP award? I mean, Verlander has been fantastic but I'm undecided as to whether or not a pitcher should get it. I agree Ellsbury is a good shout (should the Sox reach the play offs, I feel MVPs should get to october or you might as well give it to Bautista), so is probably Gonzales and I like Cano and Granderson from my Yankees. Answers on a postcard, please!

Halfway through the year, I thought Gonzalez was a certainty to win the MVP... but his long hitting has really dried up in the second half. Ellsbury is awesome. Bautista has had a huge season -- but I just can't see a player in a .500 team winning the MVP. Curtis Granderson is another good shout -- but for his homers, still only a .270ish hitter.

It's a tough year to call on the AL side.

I'm firmly in the camp that says pitchers should never be awarded the MVP. They play only 20% of the games for the season... and they have their own award. JV is surely a certainty for the Cy.

Halfway through the year, I thought Gonzalez was a certainty to win the MVP... but his long hitting has really dried up in the second half. Ellsbury is awesome. Bautista has had a huge season -- but I just can't see a player in a .500 team winning the MVP. Curtis Granderson is another good shout -- but for his homers, still only a .270ish hitter.

It's a tough year to call on the AL side.

I'm firmly in the camp that says pitchers should never be awarded the MVP. They play only 20% of the games for the season... and they have their own award. JV is surely a certainty for the Cy.

Yup, Granderson's AVG. is too low. Bautista's production has plummeted since the break....Gonzo lost his power as you said...Ellsbury is hitting for power, average, he steals bases and is great in the field....if Verlander wasn't so dominant, it would have to be Ellsbury, I think.

Re: Verlander for MVP, how do you guys feel about pitchers getting the MVP award? I mean, Verlander has been fantastic but I'm undecided as to whether or not a pitcher should get it. I agree Ellsbury is a good shout (should the Sox reach the play offs, I feel MVPs should get to october or you might as well give it to Bautista), so is probably Gonzales and I like Cano and Granderson from my Yankees. Answers on a postcard, please!

There are some years where pitchers just edge it because they carry their team, and are just unhittable. I wish I drafted him over Josh Johnson :(

Rays and Sox are now tied in the WC race. Baltimore are really making life miserable for Boston down the stretch!

So I take it you guys are writing off Cano for MVP?

And I agree Granderson's average will probably cost him, but other than that he's had an unbelievable year. The combination of production, runs scored, stolen bases and solid D: Amazing.

I tend to agree. And, listening to David Cone and Al Leiter on YES, they have both (as former pitchers) made the exact same point.

Rays and Sox are now tied in the WC race. Baltimore are really making life miserable for Boston down the stretch!

So I take it you guys are writing off Cano for MVP?

And I agree Granderson's average will probably cost him, but other than that he's had an unbelievable year. The combination of production, runs scored, stolen bases and solid D: Amazing.

Definitely not writing off Cano. It's a really tough one to call this year in the AL. No player has dominated; all candidates have arguments against.

The Sox have really let this one slip. To be honest, the way they've played this September, they don't deserve to play in October. Here's hoping for a good couple of nights, though, where they turn things around!

... and, dare I say it, go Yankees

Â