Log-In Issues

Question

Ever since I joined this site over a year ago, I have had the following problem:

Whenever I return to the site, I am logged out.

When I try to log in again, it says my password is incorrect.

The only way for me to get back in again is to reset my password.

I have tried deleting the internet cache and cookies and this doesn't help.

I have encountered this problem on internet explorer, firefox and opera.

Edit: I've just tried to go into the "account security" section under account settings, which requires a password, and it even says my password/username combo is wrong then, even though I'm already logged in.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by Deano & Dalians Umbrella

11 answers to this question

What happens if you try from your phone?

Can you link your twitter, Facebook or Google account in your account settings and log in with your session on one of those?

The only times something similar was reported it was fixed by clearing cookies and cache, so this is something new. I have a bad feeling that it might be caused by the apostrophe in your username, but let's try another device first.

17 hours ago, Dalian's Umbrella said:

I don't have a smart phone . The only one of those I have is twitter - I tried to link it in settings but it said an error occurred.

Don't worry for now, I think I won't be posting that regularly anyway.

I'll rename your account if you like. It's probably that apostrophe causing the problem.

12 hours ago, Dalians Umbrella said:

That would be great if you could do that please! I login (or fail to!) by email address anyway.

Cheers

I've changed it. Let me know if it helps (I recommending clearing cookies and cache again just to be sure).

On 01/04/2020 at 10:23, limpid said:

I've changed it. Let me know if it helps (I recommending clearing cookies and cache again just to be sure).

Thank you - but unfortunately not.

I even used ccleaner to completely wipe any opera data and tried a browser i'd never used before - microsoft edge, and tried a broswer on my work pc (to which I'm remotely connected) that i'd never used for villa talk - chrome.

Still the same login problem, still gives an error if i try and link to my twitter account but weirdly,  it now accepts my password to get into the account security section.

1 hour ago, Dalians Umbrella said:

I'm assuming my current username will already be taken but that going back to the apostrophe will cause problems.

If this is the case, would you re-inserting the apostrophe into my current username allow me to select my current username (without the apostrophe) - if that makes sense?

I don't know. I'd rather not take the risk.