Your Villa XI - one from each nation

StefanAVFC

29 minutes ago, Enda said:

Kiraly for Marshall, Curcic for Dawkins, Sylla for D2, Balaban for Helenius. Micah Richards and Charlie Insomnia need inclusion in there somewhere. Taylor is a bit harsh.

Can’t put Richards and Lescott together. Sylla had a good spell with us 2012/13, his performance helped our run towards the end. Same goes with Charles. I though Taylor would be harsh but I’m limited in terms of nationalities. 😅

GK - Bosnich (Australia)
RB - Delaney (Wales)
CB - Mellberg (Sweden)
CB - Laursen (Denmark)
LB - Bouma (Netherlands)
RM - Solano (Peru)
CM - Petrov (Bulgaria)
CM - Barry (England)
LM - Ginola (France)
ST - Angel (Colombia)
ST - Benteke(Belgium)

We're preobably one of the easier teams to do it for. We've had a lot of decent players/big names from a wide variety of countries.

I did a Milan one on twitter. Considering the only players that've succeeded there come from Italy, Brazil and Netherlands (with a couple of exceptions), it was a bit more difficult!

Completely breaking the rules, but:

Given

Staunton McGrath Dunne Stevens

Whelan

Houghton Townsend Grealish

Keane Cascarino

(had to shoe-horn Staunton into a right back, and Grealish has played more internationals in green than white.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Enda said:

Kiraly for Marshall, Curcic for Dawkins, Sylla for D2, Balaban for Helenius. Micah Richards and Charlie Insomnia need inclusion in there somewhere. Taylor is a bit harsh.

Lescott was worse than Richards so he would take the English spot

15 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

GK - Bosnich (Australia)
RB - Delaney (Wales)
CB - Mellberg (Sweden)
CB - Laursen (Denmark)
LB - Bouma (Netherlands)
RM - Solano (Peru)
CM - Petrov (Bulgaria)
CM - Barry (England)
LM - Ginola (France)
ST - Angel (Colombia)
ST - Benteke(Belgium)

We're preobably one of the easier teams to do it for. We've had a lot of decent players/big names from a wide variety of countries.

I did a Milan one on twitter. Considering the only players that've succeeded there come from Italy, Brazil and Netherlands (with a couple of exceptions), it was a bit more difficult!

Well, now it's interesting to know how many nationalities we had in terms of players in the Premier League era. Compared to other teams?

England, Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland, Ireland, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Bulgaria, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Netherlands, Belgium, Czech, Austria, Congo, DR Congo, Zimbabwe, Ghana, Zimbabwe, Togo, Cameron, Mali, Tanzania, Benin, Ivory Coast, Senegal, Egypt, Morocco, Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica, USA, Brazil, Colombia, Peru and Australia.

That's from what I can remember. 40 nationalities.  More than what I expected to be honest, I'm sure there is more which I can't remember.

Just remembered before posting:

Croatia, Switzerland , Montenegro (But Sarkic yet to play a game for the first team), Curacao (which Bacuna plays for), Portugal.

So here 45 nations which represented Aston Villa, I'm sure there is still more. Will try and find a stat for that.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Well, now it's interesting to know how many nationalities we had in terms of players in the Premier League era. Compared to other teams?

England, Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland, Ireland, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Bulgaria, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Netherlands, Belgium, Czech, Austria, Congo, DR Congo, Zimbabwe, Ghana, Zimbabwe, Togo, Cameron, Mali, Tanzania, Benin, Ivory Coast, Senegal, Egypt, Morocco, Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica, USA, Brazil, Colombia, Peru and Australia.

That's from what I can remember. 40 nationalities.  More than what I expected to be honest, I'm sure there is more which I can't remember.

Just remembered before posting:

Croatia, Switzerland , Montenegro (But Sarkic yet to play a game for the first team), Curacao (which Bacuna plays for), Portugal.

So here 45 nations which represented Aston Villa, I'm sure there is still more. Will try and find a stat for that.

Enckelman - Finland

Kubicki - Poland

Ecuador - De La Cruz

Turkey - Alpay

Kiraly - Hungary

Savo was born in Bosnia but played Serbia/Yugoslavia

You also have Zimbabwe twice ;)

8 minutes ago, captain said:

Maybe you meant Zambia for one of the Zimbabwes  (Emment Kwapengwe and Fred Mwali).

There is also an Argentinian Oscar Arce.

And super signing Gustavo Bartelt, although did he ever end up playing any games for us?

From players in my time supporting the club;

Bosnich

Mellberg  McGrath  Laursen  Bouma

Petrov   Hitz

Yorke                      Young    

Benteke   Angel

• Like 1

I'm going to do this in my own era, I wasn't born when we won the European cup so can't really talk about those players!

Friedal (USA)

Delaney (WAL) McGrath (ROI) Laursen (DEN) Bouma (NET)

Grealish (ENG) Petrov (BUL) McGinn (SCO) 

Yorke(T&T) Benteke (BEL) Angel (COL)

Might have gone a little attack minded!! Hard not to have Milner or Barry in there, Young too. I think the best left back I can remember was Steve Staunton but you can't leave God out! I Alan Wright was a top right back but I can't leave Jack out!  

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

From players in my time supporting the club;

Bosnich

Mellberg  McGrath  Laursen  Bouma

Petrov   Hitz

Yorke                      Young    

Benteke   Angel

I never thought of Melberg at RB. I know he played there a lot but he was always a CB in my mind. 

Â