Political Ramifications of Covid-19 Pandemic

maqroll

12 hours ago, Straggler said:

I'm hoping for a swing to the left as people are reminded in very dramatic fashion that effective public services are not just a nice to have.  The drift towards individualism and greed may yet be checked.  I'm also hoping that it will pull the wool away from peoples eyes about populist politicians as they get found out around the world.  Lies and hating on the experts may have been working on Brexit and typical Tory v Labour political wrangling, but a virus gives zero shits about the lies and just keeps on going.  There was a massive swing to the left at the end of the WW2, with the war hero Churchill turfed out, so it is not as unprecedented as you may think. 

Also as the rich have buggered off to their bunkers and laid off loads of staff and come cap in hand for more tax payer money we may at last notice that allowing the rich to just gather more wealth endlessly is really stupid as they do not give a shit about us.  The longest shot I'm hoping for is a proper wealth tax to start redistributing some of that hording.  Hording that is again obviously hurting us all as it gets more widespread.  We can't keep going the way we are going, this needs to be a wake up call.

Early POTY candidate

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Hopefully the only changes will be the Chinese towards eating weird shit. **** idiots 

The West eats pork which caused swine flu, which killed tens of thousands of people. This sentiment is a bit of a trope. 

• Like 1

One thing that has occurred to me over the last few days as governments have fallen in line with their emergency financial packages, to help businesses and workers alike, is, what an opportune moment this is to run the biggest trial they could possibly have hoped for on a Universal Basic Income.

With only Big Tech firms seemingly the ones left still functioning, and benefiting from this crisis, it might prove to be a very valid dry run for when AI has completely taken over. How we come out the other side of this will no doubt be extremely influential on shaping government policy with regards to UBI in the future.

• Like 2

Boris and the Conservative party are expecting to come out of this as heroes. 
But they delayed actions that have put countries like South Korea in a much better place than us. 

They also spent a decade attacking the NHS, social care and benefits. Every 1p they saved over the last decade now costing us 10p. 
Its nice to see all the support being put in place but when this is all over it needs to be paid for.  Let’s not make the same mistake and pay for it by massively cutting the things we are now relying upon.

CV19 has happened. CV22 might. 

Hopefully this will make people realise what is important in life. It’s not cutting taxes for the super rich so low that it allows Richard Branson to F off to his own private island and beg for more money to fund his businesses. 

• Like 1

Imagine how angry people would be if they found out Branson et al had hidden away on their private islands with all the toilet rolls.

Then asked the government to send them more toilet rolls.

The bullshit machine that put the filth into power, here and and the US,  will be working overtime to make sure their interests are served.

It's not like people have got smarter in months, so the Dark Side have a decent chance of succeeding again.

Emotions are riding high though, and tension could rack up a few notches yet. That does add a dash of uncertainty.

Potentially riots could cover a massive area, everyone being 2 metres apart and everything.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

But they delayed actions that have put countries like South Korea in a much better place than us. 

As I read it Part of Korea’s “success” was down to mass surveillance and tracking people via mobile phones and bank cards  ... fairly sure there would have been uproar if the UK government  had started doing that ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

The West eats pork which caused swine flu, which killed tens of thousands of people. This sentiment is a bit of a trope. 

It’s not a trope, it’s ignorance, pure and simple. 

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

The West ?  Pig accounts for 70% of all meat eaten in China 

swine flu wasn’t and couldn’t be spread from eating pork for the record. 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

As I read it Part of Korea’s “success” was down to mass surveillance and tracking people via mobile phones and bank cards  ... fairly sure there would have been uproar if the UK government  had started doing that ?

You're right. Draconian measures by repressive regimes will be more successful in these situations. The price of freedom can be death, and people should be aware of that. 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I agree. But the key word you have used there is “part”. 

But they are using a lot of methods that we are still not adopting. For instance everyone can have 2 face masks per week. Drive through testing was begun and they were testing 12000 per day average.  I agree that our society would not have agreed to everything they did. But we would have agreed to some. 

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

There’s going to be uproar in the UK soon enough regardless. 

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

As I understood it that was certainly true of China but South Koreans were more self-policed than anything else. Even wearing masks at home when around other family members. Self-sacrifice is a more natural part of their culture as the donations of gold from the general public during the '98 Asian financial crisis proved in a way that you could never imagine in Britain.

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

The West ?  Pig accounts for 70% of all meat eaten in China 

swine flu wasn’t and couldn’t be spread from eating pork for the record. 

My point is that it's hypocritical for non-Chinese to criticize Chinese for their questionable practices when we have plenty of our own. Swine flu is transmitted from pig to human through industrial farming, slaughter and packaging. 

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

My point is that it's hypocritical for non-Chinese to criticize Chinese for their questionable practices when we have plenty of our own. Swine flu is transmitted from pig to human through industrial farming, slaughter and packaging. 

I kinda got the sentiment ... but think you picked a bad example with pig which is the most widely eaten meat on the planet .... And not contained to the west 

14 hours ago, chips'ngravy said:

One thing that has occurred to me over the last few days as governments have fallen in line with their emergency financial packages, to help businesses and workers alike, is, what an opportune moment this is to run the biggest trial they could possibly have hoped for on a Universal Basic Income.

With only Big Tech firms seemingly the ones left still functioning, and benefiting from this crisis, it might prove to be a very valid dry run for when AI has completely taken over. How we come out the other side of this will no doubt be extremely influential on shaping government policy with regards to UBI in the future.

USA rejected that out of hand last week. 

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I kinda got the sentiment ... but think you picked a bad example with pig which is the most widely eaten meat on the planet .... And not contained to the west 

Ok, Tony.

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Should probably just not eat any meat if it has a hand in all these diseases, hey?

Â