Political Ramifications of Covid-19 Pandemic

maqroll

24 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Hard to tell from a screen shot of a tweet but a UBI for all households that will give money to 1 million doesn’t seem to be “ for all “ and thus not universal ? 

Few years back we had a thread on UBI I seem to recall ? , as one of the Scandie countries was trialing it ...thread sorta died on its arse for whatever reason , but it’s an interesting concept that might be in the news more and more post virus and the recovery 

It says each household gets the money.

I think the idea is you pay it out to everyone because it's much simpler/cheaper than making people apply for it, but then you recover it via tax from people that don't need it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve only speed read it, but I thought the same thing, not sure you can have selected universal income.

But I haven’t looked at the detail, and even then I’d want a better source than a BBC tweet.

To be fair,  the actual BBC report doesn't use the word universal in its description.  They just describe it as "a monthly basic income scheme for the most vulnerable households"

That choice of "universal" appears to be a bit of a colourful journalistic flourish added in the tweet you linked. 

• Like 2

Yeah I can’t see any direct quotes, it’s all along the lines of a Reuters translation of something they heard in an RTE interview that’s then been picked up by BBC and The Independent.

It really does look like its been through loads of news organisations and then eventually been picked up by a BBC journalist that’s decided to add in the word Universal and give us a twitter tutorial on UBI.

I remember when the BBC knew what it was doing.

Edited by chrisp65

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Every pandemic has an upside.

Yup, he's an arse. Met him a few times. I used to rent an office in a recording studio, bumped into him in the lift and the bar a few times.

As someone who owns a good number of his records, I was a tad underwhelmed by him

He used to own this British Racing Green BMW 2 seater, there weren't many of them made, it was his pride and joy, so much so he parked it every day in the doorway to the studio. And I mean in the doorway at 90 degrees to the road. A recording studio which had 4 working studios, A hotel floor, An office floor anda working bar and canteen. This was the only entrance.

He kicked off when someone put a big scratch up the side of it, with a flightcase. Roadies generally don't give a shit about stuff in the way. Quite funny watching him lose his shit

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, reading about Spain's policy, it appears to be something you might describe as a 'Minimum Income', rather than a 'Universal Basic Income'.

Agreed.

And also

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

one of the Scandie countries was trialing it

Finland. Only that also wasn't UBI. The trial organisers get quite miffed when people say it was a UBI trial.

The results were that when unconditionaly, without having to apply for it, they gave unemployed people money, it largely helped them and was positive for many when  compared with the comparison group of unemployed people who didn't get it.  It didn't solve problems like lack of employment opportunity and the organiser said it resulted in outcomes which could both be validly used to support the case for genuine UBI and to support the case against.

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

It really does look like its been through loads of news organisations and then eventually been picked up by a BBC journalist that’s decided to add in the word Universal and give us a twitter tutorial on UBI.

I remember when the BBC knew what it was doing.

I guess they at least correct themselves where appropriate. 

• Like 1

OK, this is only anecdotal, and a sample of one, but my neighbour was telling me that her parents - lifelong dyed-in-the-wool Tories - are so appalled by Cumgate they have sworn they will never vote Conservative again. 

• Like 1

Stay classy, Westminster.

Help english universities by limiting access to Scots or Welsh universities.

Deep concern has been raised over plans to cap English student numbers at Welsh universities

Wales' Education Minister Kirsty Williams has written to the UK Universities Minister Michelle Donelan expressing her worries.

With the obvious consequence now that Wales might limit funding for places in english uni’s

EZNdUVAWAAIoTKw?format=png&name=large

My nipper has a place in an english uni for September.

What an absolute shit show of a Westminster government this lot are hell bent on being.

If you vote tory, you’re a word removed.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

Zero ramifications. 

Once this is all over, the media will find ways to hit out at Labour, BBC and Laura will continue posting sources about whatever the bad things is Labour did. Labour are treated like the ones in power and the Tories as the opposition. People fall asleep, wake up, remember Boris got Brexit and then they vote him in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

2/3 year long report, released past the next election followed by "mistakes were made".

Still waiting for Russia troll farm brexit report aren't we?

Exactly that. And yep, the imminent Russia report from way back in December. All gone quiet. 

Saw a friend today for the first time in a while. Of course Covid came up.

I tentatively put forward the opinion that Johnson and the Tories haven't done very well. HIs response?

"Yeah but just imagine how bad it would have been under Corbyn!"

Nothing will change.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Nothing will change.

Denial is taking people to another level of stupidity.

My best Tory Brexit friend is cutting off dozens on Facebook now, doesn't want to see it.

The Putin/Banks/Farage Brexit next. We're going to need a new lie counter.

Does anyone know what happened with that voucher scheme to repair old bikes to get them up and running?

Sounded like a positive idea when they pitched it a few weeks ago, but haven’t seen any detail fleshed out since and I suspect we’re days away from the roads being fully busy again.

4 hours ago, Xann said:

Denial is taking people to another level of stupidity.

My best Tory Brexit friend is cutting off dozens on Facebook now, doesn't want to see it.

The Putin/Banks/Farage Brexit next. We're going to need a new lie counter.

I observed a FB 'debate' yesterday between a friend and one of his friends. 

Basically it went: 

A: Brexit is great, Boris is great, etc. What's your alternative? 

B: (A very calm and reasoned list of facts)

A: That's it, you're unfriended. 

• Like 1

Â