Passing Time During The Pestilence

Xann

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

Cut my own hair today lads. Time for a cool sharp Harp. 

004AE7E6-CCA3-42BB-A5B4-80DF74B2BAD5.jpeg

Aah ! The good ol' Lionel Blair cut if i am not mistaken !

• Like 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

I've been researching my late father-in-law's wartime record, and it's fascinating. He was a flight engineer in Bomber Command, and flew two tours in Lancasters, in 1942-43. I already had a full transcript of his log book, and had researched the fate of all the aircraft he flew in. Now I'm going through the squadron diaries from the National Archives, which is giving me even more detail on each mission - crew members, bomb loads, weather conditions, flak and fighter opposition, pilot's debriefings - the lot. It's all going into a spreadsheet. I am a happy geek. 

My great grandfather was a tail gunner on a Lancaster, think he only flew one or two combat missions though for some reason.

I was watching WWII in Colour on Netflix last night, it’s unreal now to think what people went through then, there’s been lots of references to ‘wartime thinking’ or strategies recently but they’re not even remotely comparable really.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I've been researching my late father-in-law's wartime record, and it's fascinating. He was a flight engineer in Bomber Command, and flew two tours in Lancasters, in 1942-43. I already had a full transcript of his log book, and had researched the fate of all the aircraft he flew in. Now I'm going through the squadron diaries from the National Archives, which is giving me even more detail on each mission - crew members, bomb loads, weather conditions, flak and fighter opposition, pilot's debriefings - the lot. It's all going into a spreadsheet. I am a happy geek. 

I did my dissertation on the Battle of Britain and source material like this was so valuable to getting an understanding of the truth of the time.  What I also found was so much material like this had been lost to time.  I was speaking to a real aircraft nut a few moths ago at a party and he was telling me that all his fathers in laws log books and diaries got chucked in a skip by his kids because they didn't see any value in them.  The guy did 3 years of almost constant missions and kept a daily diary, so I'm glad to hear that there are people out there looking after this sort of stuff.  As a fellow geek I'm building model aircraft out of Amazon packaging with my son and he is getting into free CAD software to design better models.  My kid built a model Spitfire, it glides beautifully.  I built a ball of cardboard and sellotape that glides like a brick.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Straggler said:

I was speaking to a real aircraft nut a few moths ago at a party 

Just be careful there aren't any holes in his story.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve just lost my new hobby. It’s called city centre foraging. 

At the start of the lockdown city centre shops were still stocked fully despite having 1% of their normal customers. I’ve never spent less on food in my life.
Highlights were

M&S - Dine in for 2 - £2 plus a free bunch of Mother’s Day flowers. 

M&S - Chinese Meal for 2 - £2.50

Morrisons - 6 eggs 7p  plus 2 free Easter Eggs as I walked out. 

Poundland - A massive bag of chocolate Xmas tree decorations.

But they have all now stocked to the correct level and I’m having to buy things full price. 

It was good whilst it lasted. 

• Haha 1

Only trouble with this National Archives stuff, is that it ain't free - £3.50 for each scanned document. To get all the month-by-month diaries I need, it's going to end up costing me north of a hundred quid. 

12 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

So, to pass some time during the pestilence, a couple of the guys have been sorting through some history stuff they’ve been gathering on the local footy club. They had a ton of black n white images and thought they’d colourise a few. It worked really well. They prioritised players they could recognise where they had contact with living relatives. To send them a copy.

One of the first was...

Sent it off to the daughter of the goalkeeper.

To which, she’s posted back...

Now, that’s how you do a transfer deal or loan signing!

That’s awesome, and talk about letter headed paper! 

I had friends who lived on Stockton Road in Newport too, that was where I went to school (St. Julians) :)

• Like 1

As a family were doing ok until today, because we've had weeks of decent sunshine we've been able to spend a majority of time outside as we have a decent garden with trampoline/swings etc

Today cus of the rain were indoors and it's like my 2 kids have had half a pound of amphetamines.

Jackbox tv has been fun. Every week we've played games with the nephews. 

Bit of a pictionary type game (drawful i think), a quiz thing, some space game tonight. Bit all over the shop but a fun way of keeping in touch with the family.

Basically, parlour games via webcam on your mobile devices.

(Ipad and ipencil ftw) 

On 18/04/2020 at 16:55, Jimzk5 said:

As a family were doing ok until today, because we've had weeks of decent sunshine we've been able to spend a majority of time outside as we have a decent garden with trampoline/swings etc

Today cus of the rain were indoors and it's like my 2 kids have had half a pound of amphetamines.

Opposite for me. I struggle more when the weather is good because i'm stuck indoors and its nice outside. If its raining then I don't feel as though i'm missing out if that makes sense?

Forecast a warm week as well :( 

• Like 1

Â