Eric Dier

OutByEaster?

Marched up the stand at Tottenham tonight to try to fight his own fans.

Apparently his brother had been insulted (and he'd noticed from 50 yards away).

Jose has defended him, but I have a feeling the Premier league will take a different view.

Be interesting to see what Spurs fans make of it too - he could be on his way out.

And there's now some confusion about whether "his brother" was his brother or whether it was Gedson Fernandes. This was originally reported as a response to racist abuse of Fernandes, but Jose has issued a statement that throws lot of confusion onto that.

As said on the other thread, I wonder if this is Spurs closing ranks because "Dier lost his head" is an easier sell to sponsors than "We've got a problem with racism". The allegation earlier in the season from Rudiger went away after no evidence could be found and I'm guessing the last thing Spurs would want is another incident on the back of that bit of suspicion.

if he's responding to racism, fair play to him - although for me, there's never a good case for a player to enter the stands - any more than there is for a fan to enter the field of play.

• Like 1

Some world class arse covering going on at Tottenham tonight - those Spurs fans in the Spurs seats? Not Spurs fans at all - corporate fans - neutrals really, maybe even fans of other clubs, but definitely not Spurs, perish the thought. That's great news for Tottneham, because now they can be racists and Eric can be heroic and no one linked to Tottenham is bad at all. Genius.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51747014

The incident happened in the area behind the dugouts, which is a corporate section, and Mourinho criticised it for not housing "real Tottenham fans".

He added: "The people that are in these privileged positions by the tunnel, of course some are Tottenham fans.

"But I think a lot of corporate, a lot of invitation, a lot of people with special status [are in there] and probably it is the place of the stadium where I sometimes have doubts over if they are the real Tottenham fans, because these [real fans] are the ones who support the boys until the last."

There's video footage of him saying "He's my brother, he's my brother".

I'm guessing something like this happened:

• He goes over after the game to wave to his family
  • Someone shouts abuse at him
  • His brother gets in a fight with the bloke
  • Dier sees it kicking off and goes charging up to help

I'm not sure it's crime of the century. The whole racism things seems to just be random Twitter guesswork relating to the fact Gedson missed a pen.

Tell you what; this Amazon documentary about  Spurs 2019/20 season might be nearly as good as the Sunderland one was. 

• Like 1

Whatever the story behind it he's a flippin idiot.

Cantona was one thing but Dier could have ended up inciting a riot. The FA will, and should ban him for a long time.

You just can't do that. What an idiot.

Edited by TheAuthority

Banned for the rest of the season and out of the Euro's?

Unless it was a matter of life or death (it wasn't) then you can't really do something like that.

If it was for a genuine reason and he went there with best intentions then i can understand (to a degree). However, in today's smartphone society, did he really think it was going to end well for him ?

41 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

If it was for a genuine reason and he went there with best intentions then i can understand (to a degree). However, in today's smartphone society, did he really think it was going to end well for him ?

There were 50,000 eye witnesses too. Smartphones have got nothing to do with it. 

2 hours ago, The_Rev said:

There were 50,000 eye witnesses too. Smartphones have got nothing to do with it. 

Right....ok....i guess i need to be more specific here. Those nearby with smartphones will have filmed it, picking up any dialogue that the other 49,950 witnesses couldn't.....and yes, this IS a reflection of today's society where filming a fight, tragedy or other such happenings seems to be the primary thought in a lot of minds, rather than going to help or offer practical support. 

Fans can be idiots no doubt, additionally stewards and the clubs should deal with bad fans better.

A player jumping into the crowd and chasing a fan is just idiotic though.

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Fans can be idiots no doubt, additionally stewards and the clubs should deal with bad fans better.

A player jumping into the crowd and chasing a fan is just idiotic though.

6 months ago a fan jumped on the pitch and attacked Jack, then a steward stamped on him celebrating. 

If Jack retaliated then he would have probably got a ban. Footballers are humans I dont see the problem, real fans wont get in the way 

• Like 1

On 05/03/2020 at 12:53, mottaloo said:

Right....ok....i guess i need to be more specific here. Those nearby with smartphones will have filmed it, picking up any dialogue that the other 49,950 witnesses couldn't.....and yes, this IS a reflection of today's society where filming a fight, tragedy or other such happenings seems to be the primary thought in a lot of minds, rather than going to help or offer practical support. 

Again, witnesses would have picked up dialogue in any era and the bystander effect was documented as being a real thing in the human psyche fifty years before everybody had a smartphone. Basically the more people who are in in the immediate vicinity of incident, the less likely an individual witness is to step in and get involved, presumably because they think somebody else will do it.  Weirdly the people who seem most annoyed by this are people who weren't there. 

Â