Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

12 hours ago, PaulC said:

Honestly, has coronavirus suddenly disappeared then. it wasn't that long ago he was saying how much he was concerned about playing football again. 

it disappeared the moment a government official got away with going for a drive...

46 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

it disappeared the moment a government official got away with going for a drive...

very easy to say but do you think if that hadn't have happened or the govt had of dismissed him the protest marches wouldn't have happened 

I know it’s MLS, but they came up with a really cool idea I’m excited to see. Starting in July every team is going to Disney World to compete in a 26 team tournament. Similar format to World Cup or Euros with a group stage and then top teams advancing to knockout rounds. All group stage matches will count towards the regular season, and once in the knockouts the champion will earn a spot in the CONCACAF Champions League.

It’s a fun way to restart, and it makes sense with covid. Every team in the same place, minimizing travel and limiting exposure to the public. Plus they’re going to be playing matches all day long every day, there will always be MLS on TV during waking hours while the tournament is going on.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, how on Earth is there not a procedure for the scenario where the season can’t be finished? It’s madness.

Yes with the numbers still on the downward trend I think they are expecting to finish it now. 

8 hours ago, Genie said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, how on Earth is there not a procedure for the scenario where the season can’t be finished? It’s madness.

Is it that mad though? How many times in the leagues history has it not been finished? 

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Is it that mad though? How many times in the leagues history has it not been finished? 

force majeure, something unforeseen out of your control that prevents it from being completed without either party being in breach of contract

its in every construction contract in the country as a standard clause, would be surprised if its not in manufacturing and other industries too

been talked about before, take out "global pandemic" as being written but its surprising that there's nothing that covers the outbreak of war which could be used for this

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Norwegian league starting today. It's gonna be weird to watch football again, and watch football "out of season" so to speak. 

It was weird. The tempo was slow and the passing a bit all over the place. Very pre-seasonish, but with both teams very cautious in their approach. The football wasn’t much, but it was still football. I enjoyed being emotionally invested in something unimportant again. It was fun. 

I only say this because my team won, of course, but still. 

11 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

It was weird. The tempo was slow and the passing a bit all over the place. Very pre-seasonish, but with both teams very cautious in their approach. The football wasn’t much, but it was still football. I enjoyed being emotionally invested in something unimportant again. It was fun. 

I only say this because my team won, of course, but still. 

I’ve watched a few of the German games and they were the same. Looked like preseason friendlies. It’ll be interesting to see how the premier league goes (may be an opportunity for Villa).

Could go in tyhe Game's gone thread I guess. But here is how the CL will be determined.

This is how the Champions League is decided

The CL season was prematurely canceled when the corona pandemic broke out and paralyzed the world.

Four teams were ready for the quarterfinals at that time: PSG, RB Leipzig, Atalanta and Atlético Madrid.

The following eight-eighth finals have not yet been decided:

Real Madrid-Manchester City (1-2 in first meeting).

Chelsea-Bayern Munich (0-3 in first meeting).

Lyon-Juventus (1-0 in the first meeting).

Naples-Barcelona (1-1 in first meeting).

To be decided in August

Uefa now announces that the remaining eighth finals will be played August 7-8. Thereafter, everything will be decided in the form of a "mini-tournament" with Portugal as the venue for August 12-23.

The quarterfinals will be played August 12, 13, 14 and 15.

Semifinals: August 18 and 19.

Final: August 23.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/opXXyK/klart-sa-har-avgors-champions-league

What a joke.

Integrity...

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Looks alright to me.  I'm not sure what else they can do under the circumstances.

Bite the bullet and focus on the lives and health of people rather than money.

But that was obviously never going to happen.

I’m ok with it, blast through it and get it finished in 10 days. 
It’s all well saying scrap it, but it’ll be like the PL and will be entrenched in legal battles for years and years. 
Get it finished and move on.

38 minutes ago, sne said:

Bite the bullet and focus on the lives and health of people rather than money.

But that was obviously never going to happen.

Well yes but that was never going to happen, the actual format is ok.  Hopefully the big teams get a hangover from it and struggle next season.

Â