Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've always thought that if this came to pass you would have a number of clubs who are currently considered Giants, who waltz their league every year who would just become whipping boys.  Someone will always be coming last.  What fun. 

Exactly... Your Club Brugges, Galatasarys, Red Star Belgrades et al. would get spanked yearly...

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Finding this thread a bit weird at the moment. I seem to be in the minority, in that I actually want the football club whose name this forum takes to survive the next few months as a going concern, and am happy for them to take the steps that they need to take to achieve that. Lots and lots and lots of businesses have had to furlough employees, many of whom have significantly better finances than your average football club. The reason for this government support programme to exist is so that it can save businesses that are going to the wall, which all football clubs will, and fairly quickly, in the current circumstances.

but Liverpool and Tottenham wont go to the wall, Newcastle either. 

Coventry, Leyton Orient have rightly applied for it because they could actually go to bust

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Finding this thread a bit weird at the moment. I seem to be in the minority, in that I actually want the football club whose name this forum takes to survive the next few months as a going concern, and am happy for them to take the steps that they need to take to achieve that. Lots and lots and lots of businesses have had to furlough employees, many of whom have significantly better finances than your average football club. The reason for this government support programme to exist is so that it can save businesses that are going to the wall, which all football clubs will, and fairly quickly, in the current circumstances.

Yes you a make a valid point. Football club at the end of the day are just businesses. It’s just the division In wages between the footballers and general members of staff that’s the problem. The Pfa I blame for wanting to protect players rights instead of telling them straight away take pay cuts. If footballers had got in first there would be no issue.

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

but Liverpool and Tottenham wont go to the wall, Newcastle either. 

Coventry, Leyton Orient have rightly applied for it because they could actually go to bust

I don't share your belief that Premier League teams can survive as going concerns for long at all without football happening. These are businesses for which wages are a huge proportion of turnover, and usually have a lot of debt that needs servicing.

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

Surely companies should have to qualify for furlough, if a company is making certain amount of profits they should be banned from the scheme

I don't think that would work. If you're a lower paid employee at a massive company like Amazon you could be ****. They'll just let you go.

• Like 1

Rooney voicing his opinion again. Oh poor footballers, firstly being used as guinea pigs now being picked on by the health secretary. Nobody will have sympathy for footballers. Join the real world. 

I doubt players at Derby are on big money compared to Rooneys wage

A lot bigger targets than Rooney to be moaned at. 2 Champions League finalists in 2019 for a start

Edited by Zatman

18 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Are you sure?  If counted all their assets it would be close 

Together they might be a billionaire. Your net worth is closer to Messi than Messi net worth is to a billionaire 

Messi is highest paid footballer on a list I saw of athletes in 2020 so used him as an example

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

He’s invested in properties. He’s probably got business interests you don’t even know about. Nobody knows apart from their accountants what their true worth is. 

Dont hsve sympathy for Premier League or the footballers, greedy bastards 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He’s invested in properties. He’s probably got business interests you don’t even know about. Nobody knows apart from their accountants what their true worth is. 

Dont hsve sympathy for Premier League or the footballers, greedy bastards 

You do know paycuts mean all players so players from Walsall, Rochdale etc living on wage to wage. PFA represents a lot more than Premier League

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I don't think that would work. If you're a lower paid employee at a massive company like Amazon you could be ****. They'll just let you go.

Yes, this is exactly what would happen. People are missing that the point of the furloughing option is precisely *so there is a job to go back to when this is all over*.

• Like 1

Potentially hundreds of clubs around the UK could go out of business now.

Even before this enforced break many were close to going under, the longer this goes on it will be interesting to see what happens. I guess that's why the PL are adamant football will return at some point....Personally it's going to be months before we can even consider restarting.

Â