Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

The Football Ramble had an interesting suggestion. They suggested (or rather talked about something that someone else had suggested) finishing the season DURING next season.

So suspend everything until the start of next season, start next season as planned, and play the remaining fixtures from this season around next season's fixtures. Maybe cancel next year's league cup or something to free up some extra fixtures for everyone to use.

I'm not sure how it would work with teams that should have been relegated or promoted, but it was an interesting proposal that I hadn't heard before

45 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The Football Ramble had an interesting suggestion. They suggested (or rather talked about something that someone else had suggested) finishing the season DURING next season.

So suspend everything until the start of next season, start next season as planned, and play the remaining fixtures from this season around next season's fixtures. Maybe cancel next year's league cup or something to free up some extra fixtures for everyone to use.

I'm not sure how it would work with teams that should have been relegated or promoted, but it was an interesting proposal that I hadn't heard before

Ain't gonna work.

Sponsorship deals, the logistics of team playing in different leagues, fans not able to purchase tickets because they don't know if they are gonna play Arsenal or Millwall.

Also, sponsorship deals depend on the league status, number of staff in Stadium, a million things, including stupid things like releasing new FIFA as EA sports has a big say in it.

You need at least a 2 month break between seasons for all the pieces to fit in together.

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

Ain't gonna work.

Sponsorship deals, the logistics of team playing in different leagues, fans not able to purchase tickets because they don't know if they are gonna play Arsenal or Millwall.

Also, sponsorship deals depend on the league status, number of staff in Stadium, a million things, including stupid things like releasing new FIFA as EA sports has a big say in it.

You need at least a 2 month break between seasons for all the pieces to fit in together.

Like I said there would have to be a solution for relegation/promotion. You can't relegate a team halfway through the next season.

But if you did one of the other proposed solutions like promote the top 2 in the championship and have a higher number of teams relegated next season it could work.

But yeah, I don't know how possible it is, just thought it was an interesting solution.

38 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

All these proposals are far less viable than just cancelling this season.

Of course they are. But you can understand for a myriad of reasons why they would want to finish the season

38 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If it was anyone else in 1st place it wouldn’t even be a debate but we cant upset Liverpool now can we.

I don't think it's got anything to do with Liverpool. Liverpool winning the title is literally the least complicated part about the whole thing. You could award Liverpool the title now and nobody would really complain. I said earlier I'd be uneasy with giving the title to a team who hasn't actually won it yet, but if that was what they decided to do, I don't think there would be a serious complaint

Relegation and promotion, sponsorship deals, players contracts, transfer windows etc are all far more complicated and far easier to resolve if the season is completed as planned. That's why they're clinging onto the hope of finishing the league.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Of course they are. But you can understand for a myriad of reasons why they would want to finish the season

I don't think it's got anything to do with Liverpool. Liverpool winning the title is literally the least complicated part about the whole thing. You could award Liverpool the title now and nobody would really complain. I said earlier I'd be uneasy with giving the title to a team who hasn't actually won it yet, but if that was what they decided to do, I don't think there would be a serious complaint

Relegation and promotion, sponsorship deals, players contracts, transfer windows etc are all far more complicated and far easier to resolve if the season is completed as planned. That's why they're clinging onto the hope of finishing the league.

Well, yeah, obviously.

But then everything would be easier if we just proceeded as planned.

I haven’t seen a single viable alternative to voiding the season yet, although I’m sure they’ll come up with something.

I think they have to throw out press releases and various ideas and keep pushing it back so that should worse come to worst they can stand in front of a judge and tell him that they had no other choice

they have to close every avenue of "we could have done this"

will take a lot of time to do that due diligence 

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Well, yeah, obviously.

But then everything would be easier if we just proceeded as planned.

I haven’t seen a single viable alternative to voiding the season yet, although I’m sure they’ll come up with something.

There is no easier alternative to voiding the season. But like I said you can understand why they'd want to find a way to conclude it. 

Anyway my point was, as much as I despise Liverpool, I don't think it's anything to do with them. That part of it resolves itself.

La Liga postponed indefinitely. Their president Javier Tebas has more than possibly anyone else in world football been adamant that their league would finish no matter what, but even he has probably been forced to rethink now that Spain is fast turning into another Italy when it comes to Corona.

The F1 race in Baku has also been postponed.

Holland looking at the same solution the Germany have been talking about.

AMSTERDAM - If Eredivisie football is no longer played this season due to the corona virus, the Eredivisie for the 2020-2021 season consists of twenty clubs: the current eighteen clubs including the numbers 1 and 2 of the Kitchen Champion Division: SC Cambuur and De County.

The current status also applies when the tickets for European football are awarded. The championship in the Eredivisie and Eerste Divisie will not be forgiven and RKC Waalwijk and ADO Den Haag, the current number 17 and 18, avoid relegation

This is the worst case scenario and is considered the fairest by all parties involved when professional football is no longer played before June 30. Even if the competition is resumed, but not completed, the KNVB as organizer of the competition will get this script out of the closet.

FOX has also announced that it will transfer the last quarterly amount of the television contract for the 2019/2020 season anyway, so that the clubs can distribute an amount of around 22 million euros as agreed. This immediately relieves the immediate pain for the Eredivisie and Eerste Divisie clubs, because it allows them to pay most bills including salaries. For the time being, it is also the only secure source of income for clubs in this era of corona. Sponsor money and receipts from the season ticket sales have been transferred before. In April and May, clubs often enter into most conversations with sponsors for renewal of their contracts and season ticket holders are offered an offer to extend their annual card.

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/63737217/het-noodscenario-van-de-eredivisie-volgend-seizoen-20-clubs

I think this solution or voiding the season is the only realistic options for any league.

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If it was anyone else in 1st place it wouldn’t even be a debate but we cant upset Liverpool now can we.

It has nothing to do with Liverpool though. They would just give them the title. The problems are the European spots and promotion and relegation issues. They have to finish the season some how even if it means playing every day for 10 days. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It has nothing to do with Liverpool though. They would just give them the title. The problems are the European spots and promotion and relegation issues. They have to finish the season some how even if it means playing every day for 10 days. 

But they don’t do they? They could just literally stop it, void it and restart from next season with everyone as they were heading into this season.

There is a precedent, albeit not remotely identical but when world war 2 broke out the football season was essentially abandoned, now it was only a handful of games in at that point but still, a precedent is there perhaps.

And yes, a few peeps have picked up on my mentioning Liverpool, that bit was tongue in cheek.......kinda.

27 minutes ago, PaulC said:

But they cant give them the title as they didn't win the league. They might have lost every game and City win the rest, highly unlikely but was still that option. The only reason this debate is its because of Liverpool or United.

Any other teams and would have already been voided

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

But they cant give them the title as they didn't win the league. They might have lost every game and City win the rest, highly unlikely but was still that option. The only reason this debate is its because of Liverpool or United.

Any other teams and would have already been voided

Its nothing to do with the fact that its Liverpool or United. As has been said previously, I don't think there's anybody in the world who would have an issue with Liverpool being given the title if no more football was played (other than people showing their bias). If any team was 25 points ahead with 9/10 games to go I'd like to think awarding the title was a fairly easy common sense decision.

The real issue is with the relegation places and next year's European places - that's more difficult to make any decision on given the number of teams involved in the chase for both of these.

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Kinda reminds me of occam's razor even if it doesn't really match the principle. Of all the ways out of this wouldn't cancelling/voiding it be the least problematic? 

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Kinda reminds me of occam's razor even if it doesn't really match the principle. Of all the ways out of this wouldn't cancelling/voiding it be the least problematic? 

It's the easiest, sure. 

Least problematic? I'm not sure. I don't know if any of us know enough about the situation to make a judgement.

Voiding the season presents far more problems than completing the season 3 months late, for example. In my opinion

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's the easiest, sure. 

Least problematic? I'm not sure. I don't know if any of us know enough about the situation to make a judgement.

Voiding the season presents far more problems than completing the season 3 months late, for example. In my opinion

Really? I can't see that. You have to see an end to this covid crap to play in August surely? Then you'd cause problems for next season, next tournaments, transfer windows etc. By just voiding it there's just less uncertainty from what I can see, and you can actually have the transfer window as planned. 

17 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Really? I can't see that. You have to see an end to this covid crap to play in August surely? Then you'd cause problems for next season, next tournaments, transfer windows etc. By just voiding it there's just less uncertainty from what I can see, and you can actually have the transfer window as planned. 

Yeah there's plenty of complications if you delay the season. 

But if you void the season what about unfulfilled TV deals? Unfulfilled sponsorship deals? Teams not being promoted who should have been promoted having ploughed millions of pounds in. European places undecided. etc

There's plenty of complications.

If the season was delayed a few months you wouldn't have any of that (well you would, but to a far lesser extent). There's still complications of course.

Like I said, I don't think any of us know enough of the details to say which one is more or less problematic than the other. But there seems to be a bit of a perception that voiding the season would be easy. it wouldn't. It would be very problematic.

The tv deals are easy as I said before. SKY and BT will be ok losing 10 games of a dead season in terms of title excitement for a full season 

Kit sponsorship only goes to a certain date like June 30th, imagine the uproar if Liverpool lift the trophy in October wearing a Nike kit instead of New Balance. 

Â