Rank every Villa manager post MON

villalad21

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

I thought he did very well, to get us up......but I still had huge reservations about the goals against column and how easy we concede, even in that division.

He did well when Jack was in the team.

When Jack was out we looked woeful.

That's the worry if we go down. Who is supposed to create and inspire?

• Like 1

Surely the main question since MON is rate the owners? 

Lerner- Basically gave up after 2010 and ran the club down to be relegated. Shocking. No consistency- bring in a experienced foreign coach, no bring in a dour scotsman, no bring in  a young dour scotsman, no bring in a motivator, no bring in a inexperienced foreign manager in a relegation battle. Oh wibble Villa are relegated.

Probably a nice guy to have  drink with but no managerial experience at all. He just inherited the money from his daddy and was bored. Romantic nourishment my a**e.

Dr Tony- A bullsh*t merchant from day one. I still don't think we know who he was and who had the actual money to buy the club. Chucked all of parachute payments int trying to get us up and very nearly got Villa into administration. One of the most established football clubs in the country and we were that close to falling apart in summer 2018.  And then he had the cheek of going to Wembley last year in the playoffs. Couldn't pay Randy the extra 30 million and thankfully he is no longer part of AVFC.

Wes and Naseef. A breadth of fresh air. They are serious and know what they are doing.  For sure they have made a few mistakes (in hindsight potato head should have gone straight away, our summer signings have been mixed) but I feel far more confident with these fellas in charge than the last 2. It is just a shame Lerner could have just sold up to them before we got relegated and then we would not be behind so much with the other mid sized clubs we should be competing with like Everton etc.

Grealish made a big difference to us the season we were promoted but Smith has to take some credit for that, you only have to look at the fact that we'd spent two seasons in the championship with Grealish in the side and failed to get promoted and didn't look anywhere like getting promoted last season until Smith came in, he was so important because Smith in part improved him, as he did with several of our other players.

Also it's too simplistic to say that we'd struggle without Grealish in the team if we were relegated just because we struggle without him last season, then our whole gameplan was based around him and Smith didn't have much in the way of his own players at the club, whereas if Grealish was to leave we'd have the summer come up with a different game plan and to buy the players to try and achieve that game plan... Teams get promoted every season without Grealish in the side, we ourselves were only promoted once in three seasons with him in the side, so whilst we'd miss him it wouldn't mean that we couldn't get promoted.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Surely the main question since MON is rate the owners? 

Lerner- Basically gave up after 2010 and ran the club down to be relegated. Shocking. No consistency- bring in a experienced foreign coach, no bring in a dour scotsman, no bring in  a young dour scotsman, no bring in a motivator, no bring in a inexperienced foreign manager in a relegation battle. Oh wibble Villa are relegated.

Probably a nice guy to have  drink with but no managerial experience at all. He just inherited the money from his daddy and was bored. Romantic nourishment my a**e.

Dr Tony- A bullsh*t merchant from day one. I still don't think we know who he was and who had the actual money to buy the club. Chucked all of parachute payments int trying to get us up and very nearly got Villa into administration. One of the most established football clubs in the country and we were that close to falling apart in summer 2018.  And then he had the cheek of going to Wembley last year in the playoffs. Couldn't pay Randy the extra 30 million and thankfully he is no longer part of AVFC.

Wes and Naseef. A breadth of fresh air. They are serious and know what they are doing.  For sure they have made a few mistakes (in hindsight potato head should have gone straight away, our summer signings have been mixed) but I feel far more confident with these fellas in charge than the last 2. It is just a shame Lerner could have just sold up to them before we got relegated and then we would not be behind so much with the other mid sized clubs we should be competing with like Everton etc.

Lerner lost his passion for the club. 

I fear the same happening with Wes and Naseef if we get relegated this season. Hope i'm wrong

Just now, useless said:

Grealish made a big difference to us the season we were promoted but Smith has to take some credit for that, you only have to look at the fact that we'd spent two seasons in the championship with Grealish in the side and failed to get promoted and didn't look anywhere like getting promoted last season until Smith came in, he was so important because Smith in part improved him, as he did with several of our other players.

Also it's too simplistic to say that we'd struggle without Grealish in the team if we were relegated just because we struggle without him last season, then our whole gameplan was based around him and Smith didn't have much in the way of his own players at the club, whereas if Grealish was to leave we'd have the summer come up with a different game plan and to buy the players to try and achieve that game plan... Teams get promoted every season without Grealish in the side, we ourselves were only promoted once in three seasons with him in the side, so whilst we'd miss him it wouldn't mean that we couldn't get promoted.

But who will fill the gap if we get relegated?

Even this season almost all our attacks are orchestrated through Jack.

Every time Jack don't play well Villa don't play well.

Who are we relying on to be the creative spark? El Ghazi and Trezeguet? Hourihane?

Well obviously we'd sign other players, no one as good as Grealish, but no team that's been promoted has had a player as good as Grealish. And the likes of El Ghazi and Hourihane would be very valuable players to have in the Championship, for all the criticism they've both made decent enough contributions in the premier league, and Trezeguet might do okay in the championship as well.

2 hours ago, useless said:

Well obviously we'd sign other players, no one as good as Grealish, but no team that's been promoted has had a player as good as Grealish. And the likes of El Ghazi and Hourihane would be very valuable players to have in the Championship, for all the criticism they've both made decent enough contributions in the premier league, and Trezeguet might do okay in the championship as well.

I agree. It's probably an easy signing to make but I'd be all for us finally going for Joe Lolley. Might not have been as good as previous seasons but more than shown his worth in championship and would be a good goal threat from out wide.

Think he's at the stage of his career where he'd relish taking over the mantle from Grealish and I reckon Forest will cash in if they don't go up.

6 hours ago, TRO said:

I thought he did very well, to get us up......but I still had huge reservations about the goals against column and how easy we concede, even in that division.

We had the best defence in the league from the moment Mings signed til the end of the season last year. There's really only one person who should cop blame for our overall goals against column that season.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, villalad21 said:

But who will fill the gap if we get relegated?

Even this season almost all our attacks are orchestrated through Jack.

Every time Jack don't play well Villa don't play well.

Who are we relying on to be the creative spark? El Ghazi and Trezeguet? Hourihane?

New signings? 

12 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Lerner lost his passion for the club. 

I fear the same happening with Wes and Naseef if we get relegated this season. Hope i'm wrong

you have to remember lerner bought us before man city and before FFP

I actually feel sorry for the bloke, talk about goalposts moving after he'd spunked £200m up the wall, I would be pissed off too, the shit thing he did was stuck to his no media, no noise stuff, he should have been an enraged man walking down the halls of premier league HQ punching holes in the walls

we had a more elevated position both in the league and stature back then, if he'd have put us front and centre and made a good case very loudly I think others would have stood by us, instead he was soft as shit and slumped off in a huff absolutely killing us

cant remember exactly what it was that we were campaigning for at the time, charity on the shirt, safe standing and then backed down, id love the owners now to get themselves to the forefront of something good in football and be very vocal on it

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

you have to remember lerner bought us before man city and before FFP

I actually feel sorry for the bloke, talk about goalposts moving after he'd spunked £200m up the wall, I would be pissed off too, the shit thing he did was stuck to his no media, no noise stuff, he should have been an enraged man walking down the halls of premier league HQ punching holes in the walls

we had a more elevated position both in the league and stature back then, if he'd have put us front and centre and made a good case very loudly I think others would have stood by us, instead he was soft as shit and slumped off in a huff absolutely killing us

cant remember exactly what it was that we were campaigning for at the time, charity on the shirt, safe standing and then backed down, id love the owners now to get themselves to the forefront of something good in football and be very vocal on it

Getting divorced didn't help things.  God knows how much money he lost just from that and he suddenly couldn't afford to lose tens of millions each year owning a football club.

Edited by sharkyvilla
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Crazy we had Gueye, Veretout, Amavi, Traore and Ayew all in the same team in 2015 and we ended up being the second worst side in PL history. Most of those players are CL caliber now.

zYcT3E5.gif

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51ab27100b415ac51e602

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We had the best defence in the league from the moment Mings signed til the end of the season last year. There's really only one person who should cop blame for our overall goals against column that season.

Maybe, if Mings had signed in the summer, it would have been on par......but we will never know that will we?.....there is a thing called progression so it would follow he would do better with Mings.

By your deduction....maybe we just need better players that what we have to survive.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Maybe, if Mings had signed in the summer, it would have been on par......but we will never know that will we.

By your deduction....maybe we just need better players that what we have.

Well you knew enough to mention the goals against column with zero context. It's not that we needed better players, we just needed players full stop. We had 1 senior hobbled CB at the club and another being played at RB until Smith came in. We then lost that senior CB to the injury he should have been on the sidelines with to begin with and only had Tuanzebe (who then got injured soon after) until we recalled Elphick and signed Mings and Hause by the end of January. That's half of the season already.

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Well you knew enough to mention the goals against column with zero context. It's not that we needed better players, we just needed players full stop. We had 1 senior hobbled CB at the club and another being played at RB until Smith came in. We then lost that senior CB to the injury he should have been on the sidelines with to begin with and only had Tuanzebe (who then got injured soon after) until we recalled Elphick and signed Mings and Hause by the end of January. That's half of the season already.

We had no defenders, because Terry Retired, Chester was injured, Elphick was not in favour after too many errors and on his way.....and the club declared, near bankrupcy, we had a fraud running it, so hadn't got a pot to piss inand a manger with his finger in the dam......Just one sensible guy, who weighed all this up and give a respectful glance over his shoulder and said this team is good enough to go up.....and I give credit to Dean Smith for that and ultimately, got what he deserved.....where his predesesor, just missed out by a gnats doodah.....Hence his initial comments of inheriting a good team, his words not mine.

Â