Kaine Kesler Hayden

Villan4Life

49 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Trying to predict where we will be in 7 years is a fools errand. Obviously I would be delighted with a left sided Kaine Kesler to compliment and force the issue, but Targett is absolutely "for the long term" back in the real world. 

Not if we want to keep improving. He is a solid player, but he isn't anything special. We have seen from Liverpool how important full backs are. And from City spending about 200 million on them in 3 seasons. 

Plus are we supposed to keep every player for 10 seasons? We need to sell players before they age out. It's dumb to think any of our players will be here for another 3 seasons unless they are like 22-23. Or we think they are special talents and should keep hold as much as we can like with Martinez or to a lesser extent watkins.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Targett is 25 years old. 

I meant Ashley Young isn't a long term solution. We need two Left Backs especially if we've aspirations for cup runs and Europe.

I would look to sign a player talented enough to take Taegetts place. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He was voted players player of the year last season. Do you think he won that award through his inconsistency? 

He has come on leaps and bounds since he joined the club. An injury, a non-existent pre-season and a shit 45 minutes don't change that for me. 

A couple of bad games in a new season and a player becomes inconsistent!  It’s crazy on here sometimes. 

44 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I meant Ashley Young isn't a long term solution. We need two Left Backs especially if we've aspirations for cup runs and Europe.

I would look to sign a player talented enough to take Taegetts place. 

Agree with this and I’m sure it will be considered in future plans. Ashley Young is a stop gap but I reckon he can give us a couple of seasons. He seems in great shape.

10 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Not if we want to keep improving. He is a solid player, but he isn't anything special. We have seen from Liverpool how important full backs are. And from City spending about 200 million on them in 3 seasons. 

Plus are we supposed to keep every player for 10 seasons? We need to sell players before they age out. It's dumb to think any of our players will be here for another 3 seasons unless they are like 22-23. Or we think they are special talents and should keep hold as much as we can like with Martinez or to a lesser extent watkins.

You seem quite happy to charge Targett as not good enough for the long term and ‘inconsistent’ yet I would actually argue that Martinez has had the same inconsistency at the start of this season by his standards.

Yet you’re happy to class Martinez as one who we keep hold of as much as we can and discount Targett. 

He was PPOTY less than 3 months ago. Benefit of the doubt due to circumstances comes to mind. 

On 16/09/2021 at 22:31, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Are we giving up on Matt Targett after a disjointed pre-season? 

If a better option become available , you bet we are giving up on him but until that day he gets our utmost support, 

By wanting to improve at the cost of a player that has been nothing but classy for us is alway hard, I've been probably guilty of this with mcginn , but if a special player becomes available as I believe CV put it , than ya replace him (is see mcginn a special player so he would have to be very special)

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

A couple of bad games in a new season and a player becomes inconsistent!  It’s crazy on here sometimes. 

Modern football. Play bad and you are **** gash and need to be sold and replaced. Can't beat the dopamine hit of a new signing. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

You seem quite happy to charge Targett as not good enough for the long term and ‘inconsistent’ yet I would actually argue that Martinez has had the same inconsistency at the start of this season by his standards.

Yet you’re happy to class Martinez as one who we keep hold of as much as we can and discount Targett. 

He was PPOTY less than 3 months ago. Benefit of the doubt due to circumstances comes to mind. 

You could argue that happened with Guilbert. Some fans really rate him. I personally didn’t think he was good enough and was signed for the championship.  But either way RB probably wasn’t a priority that summer but we still strengthened it when the opportunity became available. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steero113 said:

The difference is keepers can stay elite for a lot longer.

Targett has had serious injury issues in the past. Yes last season he was fantastic. But you know what one season doesn't mean everything. And the fact he has been torn to shreds multiple times this season really says it all. When you look at the totality of his career here he has been very average. Better than Taylor for sure but certainly not elite by any stretch. Yes you could maybe make the same argument with emi. And we will see as the rest of the season comes. But we have a mcuh smaller sample size of him being poor compared to Targett. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 18/09/2021 at 15:18, bobzy said:

Looks to be playing as an AMR today - could be interesting. 

This message is a while back but Seamus Coleman played here for Blackpool on loan. Allows him to have defensive responsibilities while learning from an older full back

He played fullback on his debut, then they pushed him forward to get the most out of his attacking intent - they've since changed to a 5-3-2 where he's a wingback and has the freedom to get forward, that's the formation they've had their recent successes in - it's not unfair to say that he's been so good, they've made sure their formation suits him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He played fullback on his debut, then they pushed him forward to get the most out of his attacking intent - they've since changed to a 5-3-2 where he's a wingback and has the freedom to get forward, that's the formation they've had their recent successes in - it's not unfair to say that he's been so good, they've made sure their formation suits him.

It’s been a great loan for him

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It doesn't read like that at all on their forum.  tl;dr is that he was brilliant at the start and has been pretty average since (which is fine, but yeah).

• 2 weeks later...
Â