Finances YE 2019

Farlz

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Our assets have gone up from £19m to £55.8m even though we've sold the stadium and land. What is it we own that got so much more valuable?

Isn't that cash and future moneys from the parent company and NSWE Stadium?

14 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Isn't that cash and future moneys from the parent company and NSWE Stadium?

I'm not sure I understand the question - sorry.

When you say future monies from NSWE Stadium what do you mean?

I'd have thought in these accounts the only monies to NSWE Stadium were just the outgoing rental we're paying on it?

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

When you say future monies from NSWE Stadium what do you mean?

Just that the change in net Assets includes a £61.5m loans receivable amount, £57.6m of which is due from NSWE Stadium Ltd (note 25).

On 29/02/2020 at 02:08, KHV said:

Grealish McGinn and Mings sales will also be  a massive profit before next season starts

Grealish most probable.

However again, it baffles me how everyone is so certain Mings, who we recreated and took a punt on when he couldn't get a game, and McGinn, who has been out with a lengthy injury (was in poor form before it) and signed from Scotland, are certs to be off. lol

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Grealish most probable.

However again, it baffles me how everyone is so certain Mings, who we recreated and took a punt on when he couldn't get a game, and McGinn, who has been out with a lengthy injury (was in poor form before it) and signed from Scotland, are certs to be off. lol

Totally agree. We’ll probably have to sell Jack unfortunately to comply with finance rules if relegated but anyone else stays unless they are not wanted. We don’t need to do anyone any favours and need a squad capable of going straight back up this time if the worst happens (and I still think we’ll be ok..)

Edited by Elton
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Just that the change in net Assets includes a £61.5m loans receivable amount, £57.6m of which is due from NSWE Stadium Ltd (note 25).

So what does that mean for us? Did Aston Villa loan NSWE Stadium the money to buy the stadium from Aston Villa?

I'm confused.

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Grealish most probable.

If I was a Premier League manager I'd be trying to poach Mings and McGinn ASAP if we go down.  I'd be surprised if head didn't rule over heart for both of them as well when it came to it.  Anyway it's a bit off topic, overall it seems the club are on the right track in difficult circumstances but I'm no expert.  I just hope to McGrath that we stay up.

32 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

If I was a Premier League manager I'd be trying to poach Mings and McGinn ASAP if we go down.  I'd be surprised if head didn't rule over heart for both of them as well when it came to it.  Anyway it's a bit off topic, overall it seems the club are on the right track in difficult circumstances but I'm no expert.  I just hope to McGrath that we stay up.

They can try all they want, the same way we looked at Kalvin Phillips and multiple others mate. Long term contracts and money. .

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

With this regime at least we have sellable assets to balance against the losses. 

Compare to the previous regime we had spend our entire FFP "budget" and were left with Whelan, Jedinak, Hogan (I know), Adomah, Elphick, Gardner, McCormack and countless others who were worth negative equity once their wages were balanced out. 

From NSWE's perspective, even though they have put in affect 100m+ into the club the assets of Mings, Grealish, Mcginn, Luiz, Targett, Konsa etc FAR out weigh that. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So what does that mean for us? Did Aston Villa loan NSWE Stadium the money to buy the stadium from Aston Villa?

I'm confused.

Not sure - I was just pointing out the note and the change in debtors that seemed to make up a good proportion of the change in assets. :)

Is it just a timing issue (date of sale v cash received)?

Edited by snowychap

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Not sure - I was just pointing out the note and the change in debtors that seemed to make up a good proportion of the change in assets. :)

Is it just a timing issue (date of sale v cash received)?

Could be I guess. The wonders of accounting.

If that thing from The Price of Football is correct and we're managing to report our £179m losses at £18m for FFP then we're in very good shape.

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Grealish most probable.

I think we'll keep McGinn until January as he seems a reasonably loyal type and enjoys playing for us. May be different if Leicester come in for him though....

With Mings the issue is he's currently first choice England CB. He plays in championship and he'll probably start falling down the pecking order.

Also worth noting we confirmed today all players have relegation clauses in their contracts. So imagine he signed a 50-60k deal last summer and that could drop by half for next season. Suddenly offers from prem clubs to continue earning what he does know would be very tempting. We also don't know if a relegation buy out clause was put in his permanent deal last season, Gana had one when we went down so I'd be surprised if none were in last summer's intake.

Swiss Ramble thread on Aston Villa finances out today.

Not had time to go through it yet but he usually has a lot of interesting stats and information.

Edit: Dear lord the wage bill is just utterly out of control.

Edited by sne
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, sne said:

Not had time to go through it yet but he usually has a lot of interesting stats and information.

Brucey begging borrowing and stealing in that time to get players in...

Anyway, you would hope with the huge clear out and turnover of staff this summer it will be relatively under control.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sne said:

Although that was last season and we released a million players in the summer. Hopefully the new contracts  given out in the summer aren’t crazy and I doubt they will be as we bought very few established players. 

46 minutes ago, sne said:

Ross MCCormack, Henry Lansbury, Yannick Bolaise, Jedinak, Whelan all spring to mind straight away. On enormous premier league wages to play for a mid table championship club.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Ross MCCormack, Henry Lansbury, Yannick Bolaise, Jedinak, Whelan all spring to mind straight away. On enormous premier league wages to play for a mid table championship club.

(Richards)

Scott Hogan springs to mind, talk of integrating him back into the squad. Let's not make the same mistake of having nearly men, squad members on 40k a week again. Even if it's £2m. Let's finally clear out the mistakes of the parachute years once and for all.

• Like 2

Swiss Ramble posted this today  , lot of it isn't new info , but still interesting I guess

In 2018/19 Villa were promoted with the biggest ever loss in the Championship. The loss widened by £33m from £36m to £69m, as revenue dropped £14m (21%) to £54m and profit on player sales fell £5m from £16m to £11m. Operating expenses increased by £15m, while £46m promotion payments were offset by stadium sale £36m and HS2 land compensation £14m.

Almost all clubs lose money in the ultra-competitive Championship, but Villa's £69m loss is the largest by far of the clubs that have reported to date in 2018/19. The closest challenger is Norwich City with a £39m loss, as both clubs booked hefty promotion-related payments.

The £14m revenue fall was mainly due to lower parachute payments, which meant broadcasting was £18m (45%) down at £22m. Partly offset by increases in commercial, up £4.2m (31%) to £17.6m, and gate receipts, up £0.9m (8%) to £12.7m, though player loans fell £1.4m to £1.6m.

The wage bill, excluding £11.7m promotion bonuses, shot up by £10m (14%) from £73m to £83m. Wages to turnover ratio worsened from 107% to 154%, over twice the Uefa recommended level. (175% including bonuses). Whichever way you look at it, the club's wage bill was by far the highest in the Championship. The “clean” wages figure of £83m is around 50% more than the next highest, Stoke City £56m. If £12m bonuses are included, to give reported £95m, the gap would be around £40m. This was actually the highest wage bill ever in the Championship. In fact, in the last three seasons Villa have now registered three of the five highest wage bills in the English second tier.

Aston Villa sold their stadium to another group company for £57m, which produced a £36m profit (after £21m book value). If this transaction were excluded, they would have reported a larger £105m loss. Interestingly, much lower sales price than Rams £81m, though similar to Owls £60m.

The Swiss Ramble notes, 'NSWE Stadium Ltd now owns Villa Park, though the ground has been leased back to the football club. The sale is within EFL rules, but this is undoubtedly some fancy financial footwork by [the club].'

Like many other clubs, Vila have increasingly relied on player sales, averaging £22m annual profit in the last 4 seasons, compared to just £1m in the preceding 3 seasons. However, the profit has declined each year (2016 £35m, 2017 £27m, 2018 £16m and 2019 £11m) and 2020 also likely to be low.

Club revenue decreased £63m (54%) from the £117m peak in the 13/14 Premier League to £54m, mainly TV £50m and commercial £8m. Revenue has fallen five years in a row. The importance of parachute payments is evident, down from £41m in 2017 to £16m in 2019. Despite the decrease, the £54m revenue is still third highest reported to date in the Championship, only behind Stoke City £71m and Swansea City £68m, though likely to be overtaken by WBA and Middlesbrough when they publish 2018/19 accounts.

Villa benefited from £16m parachute payments, which makes a total of £90m over the last three years. However, other clubs received much more, so Stoke City, Swansea City and WBA got £43m, while Hull City, Middlesbrough and Sunderland got £35m; and QPR £17m.

Average attendances held up quite well in the Championship and increased by 12% from 32,097 to 36,027 in 2018/19. This is the highest since 2013/14 (in the Premier League), but still a fair bit below the recent high of 40,000 in 2008. Nevertheless, Vila still had the largest crowds in the Championship last season with their 36,027 comfortably ahead of Leeds 34,033 and Forest 28,144.

Commercial income rose by £4.2m (31%) to £17.6m, comprising sponsorship £7.3m and commercial £10.3m. This revenue stream is down from £28m in Premier League, but it was still the second highest in Championship, only behind Leeds.

The Swiss Ramble concludes, 'The new owners have given Vila fans cause for optimism, though they still have to provide considerable financial support. If Villa do get relegated, they would be in better shape than before, but likely that they would have to sell some top players.'

• Like 1

So lucky we were saved when we were. Cant thank NSWE enough for making us basically debt free. Shame theyve been let down big time by Suso. As long as they maintain interest, which I think they will regardless if we go down or not, we appear in very good hands. If only we could just get it right on the pitch 🤨

• Like 3

Â