Football in the 'good old days'

Graham t

Hi, 

I have been enjoying a debate today on how things were tougher playing football in 'the good old days'.  Here is my example. At the start of one season ( 1960's ) I missed training sessions and had joined a club late and only met up with the players on the first day of the season. They were a good club in the top amateur league locally ( the Mercian ) so I was really looking forward to playing a good standard of football. As we had our pre-game kick around the manager introduced me to the players , most I knew from previous clubs. We then came to John Smith ( not his real name ) who I would be playing next to 'up front' , I knew 'John' by reputation but had never met him. What I did know was that ' you did not f#ck about with John Smith'. He was an impressive specimen about six foot and about 14 stone of solid muscle. He shook my hand a bit too warmly and looked me straight in the eye for a couple of seconds longer than was comfortable. I walked away thinking ' does this guy know we are supposed to be on the same side'.

One of the lads I did know trotted over and told me not to worry about John as he was ' like that with everyone at first'. But he continued, I was under no circumstances to upset him.' Sod that ' I thought flexing my 20 year old muscles. My new mate grabbed my arm, 'the police are still after him you know', 'what do you mean ' I replied. Well he said,' he chased a bouncer out of Barberellas ( a night club ) and down Broard St not long ago. 'So what' I said not particularly impressed, 'he was waving an axe at the time' continued my new mate.

No , you didn't f#ck with John Smith.

Regards

VLD.

Playing alongside 'John' was an experience I can tell you....

He could certainly play and moved to Bath City at the end of the season ( semi pro).

I guess Villa Talk is the wrong section to post this and I have asked admin to move it to a more appropriate area.

ATB 

VLD.

And furthermore.....

John Smith was responsible for the only one punch knockout I ever witnessed on a football pitch.

The season was progressing normally with defenders lining up to kick me as only a suicidal death wish lunatic would kick John Smith . Then it happened, a suicidal death wish lunatic duly marched up to 'John' as we had our kick in prior to the match and announced that he had heard all about John Smith and he was going to 'sort him out'. John calmly ignored him and carried on his pre-match warm up.

We kicked off and the game ebbed and flowed without any further outbursts. After about 10 minutes I was strolling back to the half way line when I heard a sickening crunch that could only be a huge fist smashing into someone's face. I turned to watch the pre- match lunatic sailing through the air and landing with a lifeless thud unto the pitch where he duly stayed , definitely unconscious. John Smith ambled past without so much as a smile.

Everybody on the pitch knew what had transpired, especially the referee, nobody said a word and the unconscious idiot was carried limply off the pitch.

No, you didn't f#ck with John Smith.....

ATB,

VLD.

You had the maximum wage of £20 a week in those days didn’t you until jimmy hill got it abolished? Refs let players get away with murder, pitches were mud-baths. Footballers weee just normal. I even had the West Brom keeper living next door to me when I was a child. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

You had the maximum wage of £20 a week in those days didn’t you until jimmy hill got it abolished? Refs let players get away with murder, pitches were mud-baths. Footballers weee just normal. I even had the West Brom keeper living next door to me when I was a child. 

How do normal people weee? Have I been doing it wrong?!

Â