thabucks

EDITED - SEEMS LIKE THE SPORTPESA THING WAS EITHER A RED HERRING OR CHANGED TACK.

Not sure where else to post this ... From the dodgiest of sources as well but just sharing ...

https://tbrfootball.com/aston-villa-reportedly-set-for-new-sponsors-with-everton-dropped-sportpesa-stepping-up/

Villa reportedly set for new sponsors with Everton dropped SportPesa stepping up

43 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Not sure where else to post this ... From the dodgiest of sources as well but just sharing ... 

https://tbrfootball.com/aston-villa-reportedly-set-for-new-sponsors-with-everton-dropped-sportpesa-stepping-up/

Ehh, not the best looking sponsor. At the very least, hope we don't get the Angry Birds sleeve patch 😐 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Ehh, not the best looking sponsor. At the very least, hope we don't get the Angry Birds sleeve patch 😐 

Was about to post this, they make it seem as if the Tanzania connection has something to do with it? Re: SportPesa

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Was about to post this, they make it seem as if the Tanzania connection has something to do with it? Re: SportPesa

According to wiki they have operations in Tanzania and South Africa.

34 minutes ago, sne said:

According to wiki they have operations in Tanzania and South Africa.

Obviously not the be all, but this would actually seem like Samatta paying dividends already off the pitch to be fair, as Tanzanias national treasure, and that being their market.

Just googled a bit and found this, not read it yet but might have some info about them in it.

Long article.

How gambling giant SportPesa made waves in Africa – and Premier League

Everton’s sponsors are hailed by the club for supporting community schemes, but there are concerns about how the Kenyan-Bulgarian firm profits from an online gambling craze...

SportPesa grew rapidly in Kenya to dominate online gambling by zealously exploiting the mass arrival of mobile phone technology from 2014, and sponsors the country’s Premier League. With little regulation and no welfare or research similar to even the UK’s limited industry-funded framework, serious problem gambling appears to have become entrenched among Kenyan young people, who are gambling and losing far more than elsewhere in sub-Saharan Africa.

Matiang’i, finally proposing new regulation in May, said $2bn was gambled annually in Kenya, mostly by low earners, and that 500,000 young people defaulted on loans to fund gambling. Last week SportPesa was among a number of gambling companies in Kenya whose licences were suspended because of reported concerns about non-compliance with regulations, although SportPesa said it did comply and is continuing to operate because of a court order.

In June 2017 Kenyatta reversed a pledge for a 35% tax on gambling to fund sport, arts and universal healthcare after relentless lobbying by SportPesa and other gambling companies. Instead, after his November 2017 re-election, the president introduced a 15% rate, while imposing a 20% tax on individual gamblers’ winnings, explaining this was “in order to enhance equity and fairness”.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/18/sportpesa-gambling-company-premier-league-kenya

Edited by sne
  • Thanks 1

Another year I won't be buying the kit then!

Honestly can't remember the last kit I bought, maybe the DWS one. Its been that long we've been walking advertisers for gambling.  

• Like 1

More stuff.

Seem they didn't like to be forced to pay tax in Kenya so they shut down operations and quit sponsoring in the country.

Out, down but not alone: Agony as SportPesa fires over 400 staff

From the face of it, it could just be over 400 people being sent home by betting Company SportPesa after they halted their operations in Kenya following regulation impasse with the State, but more awaits as the ripple effect begins to bite.

The crackdown that was seen as a way of taming the ballooning betting craze, which started early this year, has come back to bite the very Kenyans that supported the idea.

Speaking to Standard Digital on phone, economist Duncan Otieno has warned that if the Government does not rescind its hardline stance, it will be the loser in the long run.

The dispute between SportPesa and the government has been on for three months now ever since the government withdrew licences of 15 betting firms it claimed were not paying taxes as required.

SportPesa announced that that they were forced to stop operations in Kenya in the wake of a tax dispute with the government.

“It is not possible to operate under the new tax rules. This has become a hostile business environment,” the company said in a statement.

Also affected are the sponsorship deals it had signed with football entities including Gor Mahia, AFC Leopards, Kenyan Premier League and Football Kenya Federation running into hundreds of millions of shillings.

Gor Mahia’s preparation for CAF matches were hit by SportPesa’s withdrawal leading to the club's poor show and eventually being relegated to the less lucrative Confederations Cup.

Due to lack of funds, Gor lost home and away to Algeria’s giant USM Algiers.

https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2001344260/out-down-but-not-alone-agony-as-sportpesa-fires-over-400-staff

• Thanks 1

And in South Africa...

SportPesa under fire as KRA demands Ksh.14.9B in tax arrears

KRA is in a vicious protracted court tussle with SportPesa over billions of shillings in tax arrears.

The taxman is demanding a whopping Ksh.14.9billion from the betting firm.In its demand note, KRA claims Pevans East Africa Limited failed to comply with the Income Tax Act that provides for taxation from betting.

The company is facing a further charge of failing to withhold tax from benefactors.

Out of Ksh.60billion paid out to betting winners, KRA says the firms would have withheld and remitted Ksh.12billion; an amount that shot up to Ksh.14.9billion given payment penalty and interest accrued.

https://citizentv.co.ke/news/sportpesa-under-fire-as-kra-demands-ksh-14b-in-tax-arrears-244818/

Honestly thou they are possibly no worse than every other betting company but yeah, I wont be buying a kit with them on it.

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

Another year I won't be buying the kit then!

Honestly can't remember the last kit I bought, maybe the DWS one. Its been that long we've been walking advertisers for gambling.  

Cows was before acorns.

QuickBooks wasn't too bad, that was my last shirt but I'd never wear a shirt that advertises professional scumbags. I'd happily see gambling advertising banned.

• Like 4

On 19/02/2020 at 14:30, the_eristic said:

Sick of betting sponsors, never liked the idea of them in the first place and this sounds like a particularly nasty one, really hope we don't go through with it.

I don't think any other companies would pay what these betting sponsors are paying. Ofcourse when we're talking about the rest of them teams (not the fashionable and top ones). Until then I don't think it'll be easy to find any good sponsor.

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

**** these gambling companies. They buy the sponsorship to build their brand with impressionable kids and teenagers. It’s evil.

The real issue is that they're allowed to and the people who allow it, don't give a shit because of how much money they put into the game. 

• Like 1

Â