Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

Another one that springs to mind is Zeli Ismael at Wolves. Still remember him being splashed all over the news of the world after one of the Wolves coaches said he would be the first £100 million player. Nice way to keep pressure off the kid who was about 14/15 at the time I think. I also imagine the club weren't too happy with him for that.

Different story though. He actually stayed with Wolves when big clubs started circling but never really made it. He plays for Bradford now. According to his agent, he could have gone to Chelsea and made £2million by his 18th birthday. I imagine that agent uses it as a cautionary tale to parents when they consider staying put at their current clubs. It just shows that staying where you are is no guarantee of success either so in many ways you can't blame them for sometimes going for the money now route rather than doing what looks like the sensible thing. It's a massive pressure to put on kids and families.

• Like 2

I always thought Samir Carruthers was going to be a very good player after he left us.

Can remember him doing well at a league 1 club and Sheffield United under Wilder picked him up but he didn't last long and seems to have gone into obscurity again so guess his attitude isn't there for top level demands.

Harry Forrester was another. Had a bit of Lee Hendrie about him in that youth final v Chelsea. After he left he did well at Brentford and really should've stayed there but went to Rangers and lost his way again. Last I heard he was playing in Iran.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, villanmac said:

Another one that springs to mind is Zeli Ismael at Wolves. Still remember him being splashed all over the news of the world after one of the Wolves coaches said he would be the first £100 million player. Nice way to keep pressure off the kid who was about 14/15 at the time I think. I also imagine the club weren't too happy with him for that.

Different story though. He actually stayed with Wolves when big clubs started circling but never really made it. He plays for Bradford now. According to his agent, he could have gone to Chelsea and made £2million by his 18th birthday. I imagine that agent uses it as a cautionary tale to parents when they consider staying put at their current clubs. It just shows that staying where you are is no guarantee of success either so in many ways you can't blame them for sometimes going for the money now route rather than doing what looks like the sensible thing. It's a massive pressure to put on kids and families.

Saw him a lot last season at Walsall. Talented with the ball but other days when he simply couldn't be bothered, reminded me of N'zogbia.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Harry Forrester was another. Had a bit of Lee Hendrie about him in that youth final v Chelsea. After he left he did well at Brentford and really should've stayed there but went to Rangers and lost his way again. Last I heard he was playing in Iran.

Playing the league below MLS incredibly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've seen this lad twice and he did look noticeably good.

Huge big lank at the moment. Could take a few years to fill out.

Anyone who is 16 would be mad to turn proper money to move clubs. As mentioned, that Tosin lad can do anything he wants even if he never makes it at city.

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I've seen this lad twice and he did look noticeably good.

Huge big lank at the moment. Could take a few years to fill out.

Anyone who is 16 would be mad to turn proper money to move clubs. As mentioned, that Tosin lad can do anything he wants even if he never makes it at city.

Are you talking about Chukwuemeka in the first 2 sentences here?

There were those 2 brothers,  the Chambers who held Albion to ransome when they were considered hot prospects.  Made massive wage demands as youth team players, refused to sign contracts threatening big clubs were offering better deals, eventually Baggies caved in and gave them big contracts.  Both went on to very little, Walsall being their main team. 

Not the superstars they thought they were going to be. 

The whole system is broke!

I'm not just talking about this lad, I wouldn't recognise him if he stood up in my porridge, but the whole ease in which players can be poached so easily. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I'm not just talking about this lad, I wouldn't recognise him if he stood up in my porridge, but the whole ease in which players can be poached so easily. 

Eggzactly.

We could do with keeping hold of talented players like this otherwise it makes it that bit harder to progress.

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Nigel said:

We can't really complain too much. 

We've managed to sign Louie Barry because of how easy it is. 

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

That's the problem in a nutshell, a 16 year old should really be looking to make a name for himself in football, rather than to sign the first "proper money" contract he is offered and then count his money. Far better that he concentrates on improving as a footballer and then gets several decent contracts, along with a decent career in the game. Many have done just that in the past, others have let big money paid to them when they're still in their teens, dull their appetite to work on their game, something they may well live to regret doing when they're in their 30s.

39 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We can't really complain too much. 

We've managed to sign Louie Barry because of how easy it is. 

Louie had already made that move to a big club (they don't come much bigger) but he was sensible enough to see that leaving them for us, could offer him a better chance of making it in the game, in the long run. It was also made easier to sign him, because he also rather likes the Villa! 😉

6 hours ago, villanmac said:

watched him number of times at Walsall and also Bradford City where he is now.

I don't rate him one bit, poor player...

I remember that article.. i'll post it now article it's from 2008. :D

http://thefootballnet.co.uk/zeli-could-be-first-100m-man-t9121.html

Former Wolves Academy director Chris Evans believes Molineux wonderkid Zeli Ismail could be Britains first £100million player.

The 14-year-old is currently wowing the academy with performances, after being named Most Valuable Player at the prestigious Milk Cup tournament.

Wolves have set out their determination to keep a protective ring of steel around the schoolboy, who is one of the most highly-rated in his age group in the country.

Now Evans, who was at Wolves at the time of Ismails arrival and is now Bolton assistant boss, has spoken out about his talents.

He said: People are talking about there being a £100m player one day, because the game is now in the hands of not just millionaires, but billionaires.

I wouldnt want to put pressure on the lad, but in years to come I can see enormous money being spent on Zeli.

It was clear very early on that Zeli was a special player with talent way beyond his years. Hes easily the best player in the country for his age. We picked him up when he was playing for his school team when he was 10.

Straight away, he was playing in age groups two years above his own. He was smaller than the rest, but his technical ability and football brain helped him overcome any physical problems.

We soon realised we needed to protect him because there are so many predators recruitment officers from the big clubs and agents in the game.

It got to the stage when I had to ban agents and other clubs from the training ground. His ability made it impossible for him to be ignored.

He could score four, five or six goals a game so we tended to take him off so as not to draw too much attention to him.

The cat is out of the bag now. He was superb in the Milk Cup and now he has made his debut for England under-16s.

Evans words, in a national newspaper article yesterday, are sure to cause anger at Wolves, where the priority is keeping Ismail out of the clutches of the top clubs.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Now plays for Orange County SC in  USL Championship mate in Unified States.

Signed on a free transfer  from Tractor S.C. (Azerbaijan - Persian Gulf Pro League club) on Jan 18th 2019

Edited by Villan4Life

7 hours ago, useless said:

I've just remembered Foday Nabay from small heath's academy who was meant to be highly rated, was called up for England's U16 team when he was still only 13 and Man CIty were apparently offering a lot of money for him then as well, couple of years later he was still being linked to big clubs including us, he eventually joined Fulham. Just googled him and he's playing for Gloucester City now, still only 21 though so maybe he can work his way back up the leagues.

His agent messaged me on Linkedin about 18 months ago saying would St Mirren be interested in Nabay as Fulham have released him and Paris st Germain are interested i couldn't stop laughing.

I knew of him, had seen him play and replied back to his agent and said  "no thanks"  :)

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

His agent messaged me on Linkedin about 18 months ago saying would St Mirren be interested in Nabay as Fulham have released him and Paris st Germain are interested i couldn't stop laughing.

I knew of him, had seen him play and replied back to his agent and said  "no thanks"  :)

DOes he have the same agent as Reo-Coker 😂

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Crowley? A generational talent? You don’t think he is now then? I don’t think I ever had the chance to see him play

Remember being gutted when I heard he'd gone to Arsenal. He was a stand out talent in the England under 18s (I think it was). It was clear he was a special player. Strange he lost his way so quickly.

On 10/04/2020 at 21:37, sir_gary_cahill said:

He’s a 16 year old kid, I’m sure it’s gone to his head all this media attention and Purslow bigging him up in the press. I don’t even remember Grealish getting this much attention in the press, again I don’t want to big Chukwuemeka up too much myself

He is a big name already, literally.

sorry, i'll get my coat.

• Haha 1

Â