Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

Some lovely runs from Chuk so far in this game. A bit too selfless so far, feel like the layoffs in the first 20 mins to both Buendia (overhit) and to Ollie (Chuk nearly in the 6 yard box and Ollie in a slightly worse positon)  show that he's working for the team but I reckon he shoots in both of those situations if he's in the U23's.

Also would like to see him pressing a bit more. 30 mins in during 1st game of pre-season so not being too harsh, but I felt he looked a little lethargic off the ball in a few games i've seen him in so seeing it again here, although slightly harsh given the situation (and the heat!). I'd like to see Young or Ollie take Chuk under his wing this season I think, if he can apply himself in the way Ollie does or the way Young did for the majority of his first time here, Chuks could be a great player.

Wish he'd been played as a 10, when he made those runs in the first 20 mins he looked great. Jacob Ramsey was pushed further forward in the last part of the first half and the difference was notable.

Ramsey needs a Championship loan for a season imo, there is a player there but he needs to start impacting games. Chuk, JPB and A. Ramsey looked more effective when they came on. He needs to get those stats up and impact more games so that he isn't caught up.

Chuk should be getting first team minutes deputising for whoever ends up in the #10 role, probably Jack. If we can convert him into a Yaya Toure and play him further back, great, but it feels like he's a CAM.

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

Wish he'd been played as a 10, when he made those runs in the first 20 mins he looked great. Jacob Ramsey was pushed further forward in the last part of the first half and the difference was notable.

Ramsey needs a Championship loan for a season imo, there is a player there but he needs to start impacting games. Chuk, JPB and A. Ramsey looked more effective when they came on. He needs to get those stats up and impact more games so that he isn't caught up.

Chuk should be getting first team minutes deputising for whoever ends up in the #10 role, probably Jack. If we can convert him into a Yaya Toure and play him further back, great, but it feels like he's a CAM.

Yep and that's why it's baffling the talk of him being an 8.

Chukwuemeka always plays a 8 for the U23s and for England U18s, it's playing that position that has earned him his current reputation, dropping deep picking up the ball and driving forward is a big part of his game, he's a box to box midfielder that you will see crop up all over pitch.

Not every player that happens to have some flair about them has to play as a 'No.10', I'm sure Chukwuemeka could if required, but it's far from baffling to call him a No.8 since that's pretty much the position that he always plays, U23s don't play with a 10.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Chukwuemeka always plays a 8 for the U23s and for England U18s, it's playing that position that has earned him his current reputation, dropping deep picking up the ball and driving forward is a big part of his game, he's a box to box midfielder that you will see crop up all over pitch.

Not every player that happens to have some flair about them has to play as a 'No.10', I'm sure Chukwuemeka could if required, but it's far from baffling to call him a No.8 since that's pretty much the position that he always plays, U23s don't play with a 10.

I suppose, like I said if we can make him Yaya Toure with those driving runs, fantastic, all for it.

But also worth bearing in mind that a lot of his best bits come from the edge of the box, with his link up play and his close control. He links up well with A. Ramsey so its not a surprise as both are talented and can't both play as a 10. He does play as a 10 at times and in a U23 team where we're trying to find (over the past few seasons) room for JJ Ramsey,  A Ramsey (both only really 10's) and Chuk its not a surprise he has played further back. I think considering he doesn't press as much as other CM's or 8's he will find himself better suited to a 10 as he starts senior football.

Would gladly take him as Yaya Toure, for sure. I'm just feeling he would be better suited deputising Jack than McGinn or Luiz as he starts his senior career

I think it's hard to talk about positions for midfielders and terms like 'No.8s', 'No.10s', box to box midfielders, ACMs, DCMs and so on, because different people have different ideas as to the type of player that those titles describe. Chukwuemeka plays as a No.8 for the U23s but a very attack minded one, a big part of his game is his link up play around the box, so for the U23s at least, him playing as No.8 doesn't really restrict his attacking play.

I think the best description of his role is probably an attack minded box-to-box midfielder.

12 minutes ago, useless said:

He clearly played as a 10 in the youth Cup run and I would argue his big rep is based mainly off this due to the bigger exposure and coverage. 

Also Carney doesn't have the engine to be an 8 which you need in the modern game. 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, useless said:

Yup - your best player must be in the 10 role syndrome.

Not sure what you're talking about there he played as a box-to-box midfielder in the FA Youth Cup run, the academy sides don't play with a No.10, Ramsey and Chukwuemeka play as two attacking No.8s. Also he has a very good engine, him getting up and down the pitch is a big part of his game, watch U23 games and you see him popping up all over the place.

5 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

He clearly played as a 10 in the youth Cup run and I would argue his big rep is based mainly off this due to the bigger exposure and coverage. 

Also Carney doesn't have the engine to be an 8 which you need in the modern game. 

Nah, he didn't. 

• Haha 1

He needs a bit of time to get used to the men's game but you can see his quality. Once he gets up to speed, he will be very handy for us this season and beyond. Reminds me of Jack in how he takes everything in his stride.

We need to be moving our senior fringe players who are never going to impact the starting 11 on to get players like Carney, JPB and A/J Ramsay onto the bench this season and start making appearances regularly if they're showing their good enough in training.

Conor and Guilbert would be the first 2 out for me.

An attacking midfielder isn't the same thing as a 'No.10'.

On today's game I thought he played very well and was one of the standout performers in the first half, looked good in possession didn't go missing from the game, and if you didn't now he was seventeen year old I don't think you'd guess from his display, he just looked like another one of the regulars.

A mistake would be to expect him to look as good for the first team as he does for the U18s in the Youth Cup, there's a massive leap in quality, there's a big enough leap in quality from the U18s to the U23s, never mind to the first team.

• Like 2

Â