Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Big difference to start out in the championship and the PL tbh.

I agree it’s a big difference, but I’m not sure there’s a big difference in physicality.

There are youngsters that have broke through in the premier league that are/were even slighter than Bellingham was when he first started playing first team football. Look at Philogene-Bidace, people talk about Barry, but Bidace is much more slighter, Phil Foden was very slight when he came through, most youngsters are, if we waited for them to be built like seasoned pros before playing them then none of them would get a chance until they were into their twenties.

17 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree it’s a big difference, but I’m not sure there’s a big difference in physicality.

If anything being smaller is more of a disadvantage in the championship. Less protection by miles

• Like 2

Depends what you put into the word physicality. Roughness? Maybe. But when you look at the entire package like acceleration, pace, agility, strength, jumping ability and so on, I think there's a bigger difference than people imagine. The PL is an exceptionally high tempo league. 

FWIW, what the hell is the English word for bouncing off the ground, or the ability to make a jump? We have this word in Norwegian, which I would say falls into the physical aspects of the game. Like a Ayala and Cannovaro had exceptional heading ability for their height due to their timing and ..... I can't for my life figure out what it is. I would expect you to have such a word considering you have about 10000 more words than us. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Depends what you put into the word physicality. Roughness? Maybe. But when you look at the entire package like acceleration, pace, agility, strength, jumping ability and so on, I think there's a bigger difference than people imagine. The PL is an exceptionally high tempo league. 

FWIW, what the hell is the English word for bouncing off the ground, or the ability to make a jump? We have this word in Norwegian, which I would say falls into the physical aspects of the game. Like a Ayala and Cannovaro had exceptional heading ability for their height due to their timing and ..... I can't for my life figure out what it is. I would expect you to have such a word considering you have about 10000 more words than us. 

Leap?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

"Incredible spring" lol

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I can’t think of a word either, (what is it in Norwegian?), but I know what you mean. I always admired it in Mark Hughes. Watching my six year old daughter though, I’m not sure it’s a thing you develop late!

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

I can’t think of a word either, (what is it in Norwegian?), but I know what you mean. I always admired it in Mark Hughes. Watching my six year old daughter though, I’m not sure it’s a thing you develop late!

When I referenced Mark Hughes I meant his ability to get straight back up quickly. In terms of jumping ability I’d say for a little bloke Alan Wright had a tremendous leap. In fact a mate of mine reckons that small players often jump better than tall ones out of necessity. 

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

We call it spenst.

Leap isn't that more a word for jump or the combinations of attributes leads to a great leap?

Spring? Dunno, never heard of

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

There are words that sort of hint at it, like nimble or agile, but they're not exactly the same. Most of the time, I think we'd go with something descriptive, like 'he can jump well' or 'he's good at jumping'. I'm curious now, so I'll research it a bit and get back to you 😂

• Like 1

@KenjiOgiwara The football cliches were always 'good in the air' or 'he can leap like a salmon', so no help there.

There is the term 'spring heeled' as well, but it's rarely used - it's a bit old fashioned and linked with this old folklore character. For the purposes of the forum and getting meaning across, it's possible to use. 

Edited by lexicon

14 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

We call it spenst.

Leap isn't that more a word for jump or the combinations of attributes leads to a great leap?

Spring? Dunno, never heard of

Directly translated spenst is agility. Which would make sense however might be better to use power to describe that jumping attribute. Alan Wright had great agility too.

Edited by Sulberto21

Maybe other Norwegians will say differently, but I don't feel agility covers it. Isn't agility more a term at how quickly you can move your body, your reactions and physical ability to perform them? I've never really thought of agility when I assess a players jumping ability, but I may be wrong.

Feel I broke Chuk's thread though, so ignore this.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Maybe other Norwegians will say differently, but I don't feel agility covers it. Isn't agility more a term at how quickly you can move your body, your reactions and physical ability to perform them? I've never really thought of agility when I assess a players jumping ability, but I may be wrong.

Feel I broke Chuk's thread though, so ignore this.

Yeah, it's not exactly the right word but as you mentioned, it is about the ability to move your body quickly and we'd often include jumping in that category. 

5 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Great leap, good spring, ability to hang in the air...

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yeah I'd say players on average have a lot more pace in the premiership, but you can be slight and fast, you can be relatively small and still be strong enough to hold someone off the ball. You undoubtedly have to be a better athlete in the premier league but you don't have to be a massive unit to have those qualities. From the Championship down there still, unfortunately from what I saw week in week out when we were down there and I like to watch the Imps when possible too, it seems that you "get one free" so there's still a bit of a culture of getting one in on a player the fabled "reducer". A smaller younger player with good skill is more than likely going to have to deal with a right clattering more weeks than not, whereas in the premier league you just can't do that any more. 

4 hours ago, romavillan said:

Yeah I'd say players on average have a lot more pace in the premiership, but you can be slight and fast, you can be relatively small and still be strong enough to hold someone off the ball. You undoubtedly have to be a better athlete in the premier league but you don't have to be a massive unit to have those qualities. From the Championship down there still, unfortunately from what I saw week in week out when we were down there and I like to watch the Imps when possible too, it seems that you "get one free" so there's still a bit of a culture of getting one in on a player the fabled "reducer". A smaller younger player with good skill is more than likely going to have to deal with a right clattering more weeks than not, whereas in the premier league you just can't do that any more. 

I agree, but I think my minor point is that if you aren't built out so to speak, you can compensate a tough league by being MUCH better at football than your opponents. When Jack played for Notts County he was 17/18 years old, and while I'm sure the league was kicking the shit out of him, he got the better of a lot of tough opponents despite weighing the equivalent of 25 stamps. He did this cause he was a LOT better at football.

This is where most 17-18 year olds would struggle in the PL or championship for that matter, as they aren't that much better than the players they are meeting. Thus it becomes borderline impossible to shine against much bigger and fitter players.

FWIW I think the Notts County stint is exactly what Chuk needs to aim for. A loan is about a lot more than footballing ability. Anyway that's my take on it.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Vertical is what the Americans use. To describe it 'Verticality' maybe? 

Â