• Samatta
    • Grealish
    • Nakamba (Drinkwater 59)
    • Trézéguet (El Ghazi 68)
    • Samatta (Bastón 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/02/20 at 23:59

13 hours ago, TRO said:

Despite the criticism our defence has come under.....i still think a huge portion of our defending problem comes from not smothering the problem at source....we allow teams i.e Spurs, southampton to launch long balls to spirited runners, the lack of pace in the side plays in to their hands too......we are simply too predictable and vulnerable to be attacked.

There are two issues in my view: one, we're poor off the ball. We don't anticipate runs well enough, our defensive line is too high, and we don't have enough pace at the back. This is more a coach-able thing and something I'm gobsmacked hasn't been put right this far into the season. As you say, it's easy to get in behind us - Winks played one ball over the top for Bergwijn on Sunday and he was in, one ball from the edge of their own penalty area. This led to the penalty and their second goal and was far too easy. Second, the personnel at the back isn't good enough. If you correct the first one I don't think this matters as much because sides like Wolves and Sheff Utd have managed to be good defensively in this league despite keeping their faith in the majority of defenders they had playing with them in the Championship. But even so, you do wonder why we didn't go for a proven CB either in the summer or January. Not necessarily an ageing one who hasn't played in 2 years but one who has performed at a good level, either in the PL or at international level. We managed to get Reina, who clearly is still up to it, why couldn't we find a CB?

We can pontificate all we want on here, the fact is we need to get 3 or 4 wins from somewhere to stand a chance of staying up and we're making it harder for ourselves every week by giving away cheap goals. Spurs were gifted pretty much all their goals on Sunday and it has to stop happening at this crucial stage of the season, but the worry is it won't. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

There are two issues in my view: one, we're poor off the ball. We don't anticipate runs well enough, our defensive line is too high, and we don't have enough pace at the back. This is more a coach-able thing and something I'm gobsmacked hasn't been put right this far into the season. As you say, it's easy to get in behind us - Winks played one ball over the top for Bergwijn on Sunday and he was in, one ball from the edge of their own penalty area. This led to the penalty and their second goal and was far too easy. Second, the personnel at the back isn't good enough. If you correct the first one I don't think this matters as much because sides like Wolves and Sheff Utd have managed to be good defensively in this league despite keeping their faith in the majority of defenders they had playing with them in the Championship. But even so, you do wonder why we didn't go for a proven CB either in the summer or January. Not necessarily an ageing one who hasn't played in 2 years but one who has performed at a good level, either in the PL or at international level. We managed to get Reina, who clearly is still up to it, why couldn't we find a CB?

We can pontificate all we want on here, the fact is we need to get 3 or 4 wins from somewhere to stand a chance of staying up and we're making it harder for ourselves every week by giving away cheap goals. Spurs were gifted pretty much all their goals on Sunday and it has to stop happening at this crucial stage of the season, but the worry is it won't. 

Good post and well summed up.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TRO said:

Its interesting the different opinions.....I thought Drinkwater was slightly better than previous,games I thought Hause was the marginally better of the 3 , i thought he was up for it and won some crucial headers, to win back territory.

I think Luiz will be a good player, but a DM, not for me....he has to work more to stop the opposition ,to do that job.

I think the personnel change due to the individual inconsistency, is understandable to a degree.....who really does know what our best team is.

13 indiividual errors leading to a shot in 45 minutes for drinkwater, more than the rest of the team combined.

If thats an improvement, we should send him back right away.

7 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

13 indiividual errors leading to a shot in 45 minutes for drinkwater, more than the rest of the team combined.

Interesting stat. Where did you see that?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think the answer lies somewhere in between. I was not naive enough to think just because we’ve spent a lot in the summer this would be a smooth season - we had to accommodate 12 new players (16 if we include January signings). Top half was always a pipe dream and I thought 14th or 15th was more realistic.

I’m still not sure we could have signed fewer players and operated on a smaller squad with more quality, but that’s my view. Wolves did that and they’ve done brilliantly by investing in higher quality than we have. You can always build a squad over time but you need quality in this league, especially playing the way we do. All that money spent and we’re a completely one-man team and that player cost nothing.

Ignoring all this, Smith and our coaches have still made mistakes. Signing Drinkwater when a CB would have been better, signing Baston a Swansea reserve, making strange subs, failing to improve the defence and adapt our style of play to be more successful and balanced 26 games into the season. Not buying more than one striker in the summer, failing to bring in higher profile players (maybe more our transfer committee’s fault than Dean’s to be fair). These are all constructive criticisms but I accept your point that we’ve had to build a new team and squad quickly and were undone by our previous manager’s failures in the sense he left us with an ageing squad with a lot of loans from other clubs. 

He also left us with arguably our 2 best players for the princely sum of £2.75 mill.

30 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

He didn't look that bad to me....i thought he done a fair bit to break up play and get his foot in, until he tired...fair play, its just opinions.

Edited by TRO

This thread is " ratings and reactions"

We are all supporting the manager, the coaches and the club personnel.

to say otherwise, because we are discussing some of the game issues, leading to defeats is folly.

Edited by TRO

On 16/02/2020 at 23:01, TRO said:

Yes it is naive.....but more worrying, we appear to learn nothing.....its the same story in most games, this season.

we all say we are good going forward, but we all know that, we need to fix, what many don't seem comfortable in discussing....defending and not leaving gaps for players to hurt us.

It was Son today, it was Danny Ings and Shane Long a few weeks back.....we are so benevolent.

The match of the day lads did a comprehensive job of highlighting our shortfalls, much of what's been said on here, this season......I hope Dean was watching and takes it in.

We had moments today when our lads threw their bodies on the line, there was some last ditch defending.....but we need to suffocate the opposition more and then the last ditch stuff may not be so needed.....we are simply ,too easy to play against.

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

He didn't look that bad to me....i thought he done a fair bit to break up play and get his foot in, until he tired...fair play, its just opinions.

Come on TRO mate he was dreadful. Gave the ball away nearly every time he got the ball. The nicest thing you can say about him is he tries, but like someone who has been out on the lash the night before a game given he looks completely flustered 5 minutes after ko.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TRO said:

He also left us with arguably our 2 best players for the princely sum of £2.75 mill.

Agreed, Bruce did do some good things here, people seem to forget that after cabbage gate. The McGinn signing was an absolute steal especially given the amount we’ve blown in transfer fees since.

17 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Come on TRO mate he was dreadful. Gave the ball away nearly every time he got the ball. The nicest thing you can say about him is he tries, but like someone who has been out on the lash the night before a game given he looks completely flustered 5 minutes after ko.

Sorry, i didn't see it like that......I did not think he was dreadful, I even turned to Carl Chinn during the game when someone close by was having a moan and we both agreed he was not great but not that bad either.....he was getting his foot in and breaking things up.

I do actually think none of our centre mids are of merchantable quality....outside jack and john.....but jack is playing out wide, anyway.

sorry, just my opinion.

Edited by TRO

11 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Agreed, Bruce did do some good things here, people seem to forget that after cabbage gate. The McGinn signing was an absolute steal especially given the amount we’ve blown in transfer fees since.

The thing is.....folk will have their views, like we all do.....not to be compromised.

Those that do not see any good in him.....will never change....pointless any of us talking anout him.

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Sorry, i didn't see it like that......I did not think he was dreadful, I even turned to Carl Chinn during the game when someone close by was having a moan and we both agreed he not great but not that bad either.....he was getting his foot in and breaking things up.

I do actually think none of our centre mids are of merchantable quality....outside jack and john.....but jack is playing out wide, anyway.

sorry, just my opinion.

We’ll all see things differently I suppose, but to me he was standing out as being poor. Yes putting his foot in, running about etc but absolutely no quality in possession and it was setting us back time and again. 

When Nakamba came on he looked significantly better, but Nakamba has had bad games too. I personally think Luiz can be an outstanding CM but he’s still growing into the team. Technically he’s a brilliant player though.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

The thing is.....folk will have their views, like we all do.....not to be compromised.

Those that do not see any good in him.....will never change....pointless any of us talking anout him.

The funny thing is those same people will see absolutely no wrong in Smith either, which is very hypocritical if you ask me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

We’ll all see things differently I suppose, but to me he was standing out as being poor. Yes putting his foot in, running about etc but absolutely no quality in possession and it was setting us back time and again. 

When Nakamba came on he looked significantly better, but Nakamba has had bad games too. I personally think Luiz can be an outstanding CM but he’s still growing into the team. Technically he’s a brilliant player though.

3 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

The funny thing is those same people will see absolutely no wrong in Smith either, which is very hypocritical if you ask me.

i think with some folk, its just black or white.....I love him, and hate him.

I think both Steve Bruce and Dean Smith has their good points and not so good points, they may not be the same points, but thats where i am at.

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

i think with some folk, its just black or white.....I love him, and hate him.

I think both Steve Bruce and Dean Smith has their good points and not so good points, they may not be the same points, but thats where i am at.

Yes, for me I just feel to get to the next level and not just be battling to stay up/fearing relegation every season you need to have a coach that can get you there. I don't think Smith can be that guy, as much as I hate saying it. 

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Yes, for me I just feel to get to the next level and not just be battling to stay up/fearing relegation every season you need to have a coach that can get you there. I don't think Smith can be that guy, as much as I hate saying it. 

He has to demonstrate he can make us more difficult to beat.

The powers that be will be closer to what happens at Bodymoor heath and will have a handle on whether there is a case to say, its likely to get better....If this stays the same, I fear for Dean, because its not sustainable to progress.

for me the contrast in reaction to our defeat by Dean, which had a general tone of "hard done by" and inevitability.......to the sheer anger from Frank Lampard after his defeat to Man Utd......Frank was clearly annoyed with some of his players, without "hanging them out"....His facial expression, spelt out, wait till i get them on the training ground.

I think sometimes you have to show, than anger and aggression in Defeat, otherwise, it becomes all to acceptable.....Dean always looks a bit irritated to a defeat to me as opposed to defiant and not accepting it again next match.....maybe its just my perception.

43 minutes ago, TRO said:

Sorry but this line is brought out from time to time and IMO it's just used to trivialize any and all relevant critique against him.

Bla, bla ,bla blind hate... One should not need to bring up that John McGinn was signed while Bruce was manager or that we beat Wolves every time one has issue with something Bruce did or did not do.

I don't see the need to bring up our promotion when I have issues with how our defense and midfield looks this season.

We all know the history and the circumstances.

I get that Bruce was your guy and it's OK for you to criticize him but not for us. Even when we have the same same critique. 

It's like when a fan from another team says something against Villa. Even if I agree with him it' still not OK :D 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51547261

"South Korea forward Son, 27, will have surgery this week after fracturing his arm during Sunday's 3-2 win at Aston Villa, in which he scored twice."

So, he breaks his arm in the first minute, carries on, wins the game for them and then is out for the rest of the season.

Really?

Â