Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Did the same before I posted. Looked at Italy, Germany, Spain, France & Holland. The only one that fits and has *drum roll* premier league experience is Ramsey. He said No.8 about 5 times so I think he’s heard something from a source. 

Could be total nonsense of course, but it would be quite a signing. 

Jack—————Watkins—————??

Ramsey————Luiz—————SJM

Targett——Mings——Konsa——Cash

Not a bad team that. 

I'd prefer to have a goalkeeper though. I dunno, it jest feels like there's something missing in the team without one.

• Haha 2

I'm also speculating the mystery midfielder is Aaron Ramsey...  Rumors have been circulating for weeks about our front office team has been talking with Juve about transfers and he fits all the other requirements (premier league experience, done it all before, shocking fans, etc.)

• Like 2

Emil Forsberg would be another good one to get. Very proven in the Bundesliga but with a few injuries in recent years fallen out of favour at Leipzig and as we know they're after a few attacking midfielders this summer so will probably sell him on if they get a 15m offer.

I wouldn't say Aaron Ramsey is impossible at all but it would have to be a loan deal with Juve paying vast majority of his wages. Even just 20% is 80k a week which would probably be the limit for us.

Think Juventus were planning to sell him on before covid hit and now they'll really struggle to move him on permanently. Weston McKennie is going to be his replacement in the squad.

8 hours ago, KMitch said:

I'm also speculating the mystery midfielder is Aaron Ramsey...  Rumors have been circulating for weeks about our front office team has been talking with Juve about transfers and he fits all the other requirements (premier league experience, done it all before, shocking fans, etc.)

his wages must be astronomical though......literally off the scale.

He went on a free to Juve didnt he?, so must be on 200k+ a week???

8 minutes ago, Awol said:

Yeah. Pretty fundamental failure in my 5 minute transfermarkt research effort. Mental money. 

No one is signing him permamently on that deal unless he fancies China which I doubt at this stage of his career. It will be a years loan with Juve subsidising well over 50% of his salary just to get him in the shop window rather than bench warming in Turin.

Wouldn't shock me if Real Madrid will still pay part of James Rodriguez salary even though he's joined Everton permanetly.

10 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Bring Ramsay in on 400k a week why not. We're big spenders in the transfer market again, may as well get our dick out on the table with an outrageous bit of business. 

£20m a year in wages is an outrageous amount.  If we agreed to do it though based on us paying 30% of the cost or £6m per year, it might not be out of the realms of possibility.  No idea if he is still any good though... 

Edited by MJ_1874

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Listened to the new 1874 podcast and (source aside) Gregg Evans said in terms that we’re after a new No.8 currently playing in Europe who’s been there and done it, and who will shock the fans if we land him. 

Putting that together with the mystery visit to Brum of Juve’s Sporting Director a few weeks ago.. I reckon we might be in for another Aaron Ramsey. 

Interesting, although I think his Wages would be too high. I can't see the club paying anyone higher than we are paying Grealish right now.

The more fascinating bit to me was the emphasis on searching the continent and someone who has been there/done that as @Awol described above.

This is really in-keeping with last year's strategy in a way - for the most part, players we signed from abroad last year fitted one of the follow criteria:

• Champions League Experience (Wesley, Samatta, Reina, Nakamba)
  • Senior Internationals (Trezeguet, Samatta, Nakamba)
  • Breakout U-21 Internationals (Douglas Luiz)

Everyone knows adjusting to the Premier League is tricky. There's a quote from Alex Ferguson (I can't remember exactly) that basically says "...don't judge a player from abroad in the Premier League until their second season." I think Villa's recruitment policy knows that buying from abroad is risky, but there is value to be had there too, and so they try to mitigate their chances of buying a player as much as possible by targeting those players who either play for their country and/or have played for their national team and understand those kind of high-stakes/pressure environments.

Cash and Watkins scream as signings driven by Smith for me - and I think they're both really good transfers for us. I doubt Lange had to do too much work there. The next bit is a bit of conjecture by me but I can see Purslow having said to Lange when he joined that we've got some domestic targets lined up that the manager really likes that we are pursuing. For this window, focus more on these areas - a Winger and a Central Midfielder that meets some of those three bulleted criteria stated above. It's more likely Lange would have experience of talents there from his time in Denmark

Now were that to be the case, there are some really exciting names out there to be had. Like Suat Serdar at Schalke. 23y. 4 caps for Germany. Played in the Champions League the season before last.

The addition of a new central midfielder would add another needed dimension (and thus more depth) to the team.

• Like 1