Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

12 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Fair enough on the value for money view then. I guess I picked on your post to reply to as I know it wasnt a wind up attempt. I think we have to accept that the selling club set the price and the only way it wasnt being met is if it reached the end of the window and they'd had no other offers. We couldn't afford to wait that long so paid the premium.

Leeds got helder Costa thanks to having loaned him previously and Rodrigo is 29. They're taking a short term approach to survive which is perfectly acceptable to me. We got lucky in surviving last season buying players that will appreciate in value,  but having done so it gives us the chance to improve sustainably,  and signings like Rodrigo would have us back in the dark days. 

Accept some of the extra will be due to appearances, but alot will be performamce and international appearance related

I think we need to walk away and widen the net if we're being quoted extortionate amounts for unproven players. Re Leeds, I think Rodrigo will do well for them. Rather than Helder Costa, I was referring to Robin Koch (a young German international for a relatively low fee), and Rodrigo De Paul who they are in advanced talks for, and who would be a fantastic coup

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I thought Conor, Luiz and McGinn worked really well together post Covid break.

Long may it continue

Conor can not be a starting midfielder for a good premier league side 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I seem to remember that we didn't have a midfield last season. Do we now?

We have a levelled up Luiz, a fit again McGinn, and a seemingly more solid new system.

We just need one more IMO.

We also don't know if the likes of Nakamaba will have improved.

Just now, thabucks said:

For anyone challenging the assumption wages are a smoke screen read this... 

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/latest-news/premier-league-update-their-ffp-rules

That page came up on a web search I did recently but then I noticed the date and thought it's probably out of date now, I mean it isn't even called FFP anymore that's just what we still call it.

8 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

I think we need to walk away and widen the net if we're being quoted extortionate amounts for unproven players. Re Leeds, I think Rodrigo will do well for them. Rather than Helder Costa, I was referring to Robin Koch (a young German international for a relatively low fee), and Rodrigo De Paul who they are in advanced talks for, and who would be a fantastic coup

I was focusing on their signed forward players, but I do agree that we should be looking at foreign players that fit the mould though.  Koch was a good signing for them and would have been for us.

Think our owners have had their hands burnt with that approach last year though,  given our best performers this year came from UK based teams. They have hired Lange but given where he came from he may not have had the little black book that we needed for the position we're in.  Questionable why we'd get him in you may think, but it's clearly a long term vision. 

Nothing to say we won't still sign a player from abroad either.

11 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I was focusing on their signed forward players, but I do agree that we should be looking at foreign players that fit the mould though.  Koch was a good signing for them and would have been for us.

Think our owners have had their hands burnt with that approach last year though,  given our best performers this year came from UK based teams. They have hired Lange but given where he came from he may not have had the little black book that we needed for the position we're in.  Questionable why we'd get him in you may think, but it's clearly a long term vision. 

Nothing to say we won't still sign a player from abroad either.

I agree that we seem to have been burned by last summer's approach, and Smith seems to be shopping in the department he knows best - the Championship. But I don't think there's anything wrong with buying foreign players - last summer we just happened to buy poor foreign players! I don't care if we sign players from Brazil or Brentford as long as they're good, but the fact remains that English players are incredibly overpriced in today's market, and if after bringing in a new recruitment team the best we can do is blow the best part of £50m on 2 players who've never played in a top flight, nor made an international appearance at any age grade, I'm very worried

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Worrying about the rising to 33 point is irrelevant,  that will only happen if he performs well for us, in which case, he'll have been good value in the current day and age.

As for the players you mention they've either gone to Europa/champions league teams, are older and have no sell on value, or would cost an extortionate amount in wages.

Maybe there are a couple we could have tempted that wouldn't have cost the earth, but when you look at who they went to you know that's a pipe dream. 

We're shopping at the level we can arract, paying wages that are massively limited by ffp. You have to lower your expectations for this season and probably next or you'll be disappointed. 

Buying the best player in the championship, who is only 24, has ALL the attributes we are missing up front is not bad business. Paying maybe a few million over the odds due to the selling club not needing to sell, and the buying club needing to buy is what happens in a free market.

100%

2 hours ago, villan501 said:

We was dam lucky and you know it dont give all the plaudits to smith he was a car crash for 30odd games he dosnt react or see whats wrong and that is true ans you know it. Sat in the holte end before lockdown he was clearlt out of his depth.

Well exactly this, he had no business being in the Holte end, particularly for away games. 

5 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Schick has gone to Bayer Leverkusen then. Sorloth is nearly a RB Leipzig player. This can only mean one thing; Rashica is coming home!

We would hope so but I think its better if we just assume we have been flat out rejected.

27 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Conor can not be a starting midfielder for a good premier league side 

But we aren't a good premier league side. With or without Conor

He is the best out of a bad bunch. Unless you fancy Nakamba

Edited by villalad21

34 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Let's wait and see whether De Paul actually signs first. Could be a similar story to us with Rashica, with Juve reported sniffing around. Plus Udi holding out for release fee, 40 million euros. They paid top dollar for Rodrigo, lets see how he performs. We're paying similar top dollar for Watkins, lets see how he performs. I'd admit I'm biased, really want Leeds to fail.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

33 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I seem to remember that we didn't have a midfield last season. Do we now?

Not good enough. Still very light in my view. God forbid Dougie gets injured! I love SJM but I do worry about his fitness, carrying that arse of his around would be tiring; I know, I've got one.

Unless Nakamba has improved we need 2 more in. The best Viera type we can get and someone to rotate with SJM.

Now that we have revealed our ambition by splashing big on Matty and Ollie, I wonder if some of our other targets will be more easily tempted to sign? Get swept along in the excitement. I think things might start moving now. 

• Like 4