Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

6 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I don't understand "it's not your money so why worry" argument.

People care about finances of their club because if we don't, we end paying too much in fees and salaries.

£5 million too much and 15k a week too much X 4/5 players and all of a sudden we are in financial trouble. Save that in fees and salaries and we can buy an additional £20m player on 60k a week every year.

Not to mention things like ticket prices going up or burgers costing £1 extra.

It's an important issue so I really don't understand why people take it so lightly.

i'd happily pay an extra fiver for a ticket and an extra quid for a pie/beer if we have top quality players wearing AVFC shirts

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Our opinions differ ...it will be harder to get the kind of goals he was scoring all day long last season in the championship but i still feel benrahma will still be able to rip up the flanks and deliver he will face a tough time every now and then but i have faith in him to do so. Watkins movement and positioning is great and im not saying hes not a good player but for that price and not played at this level is outrageous! However he is better than wesley imo if that makes you feel like im targeting the kid a bit too much. Scoring in this league is much harder and the money shouldn’t be splashed in that manner thats the point im making 

I appreciate we all have different opinions and don't think you're targeting him at all.

My point was simply that your two main criticisms of having never played in the PL and being fleeced by Brentford would also apply to Benrahma.

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

i'd happily pay an extra fiver for a ticket and an extra quid for a pie/beer if we have top quality players wearing AVFC shirts

Its gonna take a serious amount of pies to pay this one off :crylaugh:

1 minute ago, Paulie said:

Its already been disclosed that we have ~100m budget for transfers, so if you are operating under those constraints then there is no difference between a 22m and 28m signing to our financial bottom line, right?

It is when you are not done buying players in the transfer window .. it is still open and we need players ... if our ambition is to keep saying it will be a great window if we get Cash, Watkins and buendia (like i keep seeing on here) then blimey we are really destined for trouble and need to understand we need a lot more just to push further up but im still keeping the faith(the little bit i have left) for us to do something more before it ends

6 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Not at all your not getting old and that is close to the top player bracket Bruno Fernandes was not that far off 😂 its an insane amount of money and its a concern because it reduces our spending capacity in other areas thats why im more annoyed.

Bruno Fernandes cost £47m with a further potential £20m in add ons, plus 10% of any resale fee. Quite far off from the reported £28m potentially rising to £33m we are buying Watkins for

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

I thought £22 million would be a fair price for Watkins but I'm past caring now, if he scores 15+ goals and we stay up it'll all be worth it. Still need 2 good wingers though and then it will have been a decent window! 

Agree, 22, 28 doesn't matter anymore, 6m difference, 6m is the new thrupence 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paulie said:

Its already been disclosed that we have ~100m budget for transfers, so if you are operating under those constraints then there is no difference between a 22m and 28m signing to our financial bottom line, right?

Isn't it true that if it's 28m rather than 22m (an extra 6m) and we spend an extra 6m on additional 4 players we lose out of signing an extra player in the budget we have?

Don't get me wrong, I think Watkins for this money could be good, but all I'm saying is prices are important to discuss because it affects everything.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

That isn't related to us though because that average takes into account the massive wages the top 7 or 8 clubs, plus the London hangers-on, pay their players. For example, if Burnley pay their players an average of £30,000 per week and Man City pay theirs and average of £100,000 per week, the average across the two clubs is £65,000 per week. So, whilst the top teams may average about £100k per week between them, the rest will average around £30,000 per week etc. We are in that bottom tier right now so we shouldn't be paying many players more than £30k per week really.  

Well it's a valuable statistic in my opinion as it's first team squad members especially which is what we are looking to buy. The wages table and the table usually have a good correlation apart from some outstanding outliers. We had an average of £25k for example last season which was 18th, we finished one place higher. Sheff Utd were amazing, average £9k and they did what they did. The average across all squad members last season was slightly over £50k a week. So to buy a proven premier league player who will improve us (so mid table let's say) we'd have to be paying that average which is twice our average across the squad currently.

Just now, Okonokos said:

What a ridiculous, pathetic and embarrassing thing to say. So we just dramatically improved defensively post lockdown magically. It was nothing to do with Smith using the time to improve himself as a coach and to improve out team and tactics? How are Lange and Purslow jokers? How exactly? Some people really want to be careful what they wish for. This is the best the club has been run for possibly 2 decades.

Totally agree. 

• Like 2

Just now, Okonokos said:

What a ridiculous, pathetic and embarrassing thing to say. So we just dramatically improved defensively post lockdown magically. It was nothing to do with Smith using the time to improve himself as a coach and to improve out team and tactics? How are Lange and Purslow jokers? How exactly? Some people really want to be careful what they wish for. This is the best the club has been run for possibly 2 decades.

Easily the best it's been run since we last won the league. Herbert was a clearing in the woods.