Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

7 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I think the Josh King rumor is dead in the water mate if we are signing Watkins. They are like for like.

There's alot of talk that we're after two strikers, and given the fact both can also play wide, I actually think this means the King link is more likely to be true. It'd add fluidity and options to our attack.

28m rising to 33m is an obscene amount of money for a championship player.

I don't really care though, as long as we can still afford to buy players in other positions we need, ie: GK, CM, winger as a minimum.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Btw, who else is looking forward to Rayk logging on this evening to spout shit about how this is the worst piece of business ever and have a good old moan? 🤣

I can hear Brumerican seething from here.

4 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

This board would explode if we signed Eduoard for £35-40 million.

So would Small Heath, Newcastle and a certain city in Yorkshire. 

Edit: sorry I missed The Dog Heads but then again I usually forget them anyway. 

Edited by DaveAV1

9 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I think the Josh King rumor is dead in the water mate if we are signing Watkins. They are like for like.

I take the josh king link as something we've done at the 11th hour as a final roll of the dice in the Watkins talks, us playing the game a bit

maybe Wilson too but that's a stretch, like you say king and Watkins are more alike, potentially we were after Wilson and Watkins 

Edited by villa4europe

59 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Everything you say in Paragraph two is irrelevant, we have a budget, whatever it is and once given to the person or people negotiating transfers all that information becomes irrelevant.

Paragraphs two and three I mentioned 6 players I would consider that to be a lot. Also I don’t consider Watkins and Cash to be in the same bracket as the 6 mentioned (obviously personal preference). Watkins goals if you watch them last year were mostly awful defending, rubbish goal keeping and most worryingly of all his shots were Mostly very close to the keeper and scuffs. It doesn’t breed confidence that he will be better than Maupay who scored something like 10 goals last year rather than Eduoard who’s play is completely different and suited to this league.

When I said easy I’ll say it again, it doesn’t get easier than signing players from inferior leagues.

No, no it isn't irrelevant it is called context. It is reasoning why this window isn't "easy" as you claim.

Yes, you mentioned 6 players. And as I pointed out we've been linked with trying to sign a several of them which suggests it isn't easy. Whatever your reservations on Watkins (I share some of them by the way) I don't think its possible to say Watkins isn't in the same bracket as the likes of Eze or Benhrama as he is in exactly the same bracket just as Cash is in the same bracket as Henry. Now you might think one player superior to the other but that doesn't alter the bracket they are in which is high level Championship players unproved in the PL.

I would much prefer we sign Eduoard over Watkins personally but that is just my/our view.

It doesn't mean getting him is easy, nothing about this window is easy.

You said this window was easy, I think that is just wrong.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, paul514 said:

45k was quoted in the Manchester Evening News last November 

If you work it out from this list: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/every-premier-league-clubs-average-20916779

It comes to £50,375 a week, that includes ALL squad members, the Guardian article only considers first team squad members and that comes out to £61k.

It's not an opinion, and we paid HALF of the average last season and still managed to stay up. That's actually pretty impressive. 

14 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Btw, who else is looking forward to Rayk logging on this evening to spout shit about how this is the worst piece of business ever and have a good old moan? 🤣

If you say his name 3 times he appears, just like the Candyman 😱

Seems like Watkins could be very close. If correct we’ve made two excellent signings 

My mate is a Forest fan home and away, really knows his football and rates Matty Cash extremely highly 

I believe that Watkins likewise will turn out to be a top player for us

Hopefully add King (if a decent price), Buendia/Benrahma and a GK and that’s a great window

If we can move a couple out, maybe then free up the cash for Swift (or similar)

What I like about our approach is that we seem to be targeting flexible players (Cash, Watkins, King etc) who can fill a number of positions

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

This is not the only site he's on🤣

9 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Seems like Watkins could be very close. If correct we’ve made two excellent signings 

My mate is a Forest fan home and away, really knows his football and rates Matty Cash extremely highly 

I believe that Watkins likewise will turn out to be a top player for us

Hopefully add King (if a decent price), Buendia/Benrahma and a GK and that’s a great window

If we can move a couple out, maybe then free up the cash for Swift (or similar)

What I like about our approach is that we seem to be targeting flexible players (Cash, Watkins, King etc) who can fill a number of positions

I agree with all of this except for the bit about Swift. I think we need another CM to play next to McGinn and Luiz and we should be aiming much higher than Swift personally.

Like you say though, the added flexibility these players give us is great, it allows for much more tactical in game management,  and means we can change line ups and formations during a game without sacrificing our better players.

54 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Football is expensive.

The player is a good un. 

He's good in the Championship, we will see if the Premier League is beyond him or not. 

I watched him a few times last season and must admit that he seems to have a very professional attitude to the game and he will probably be a good lad in the dressing room etc. I just hope the size of the club and fee are not too much for him to live up to, as alluded to by Hourihane a few weeks ago, some players have found the stage too big for them to cope with. Hopefully, him having worked with Smith and O'Kelly before will help him to settle in easier and feel at home. 

I just hope that we don't regret this. Having said that, if we were to be so bold on a British player right now we could do much worse than this lad. 

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

Who even said that? Most of them are valued at 20 million how about bidding near that

Are they? Says who? Some idiot on Twitter. Some "journalist" who "understands that"???

Why should we just pay £20m for a player who is worth £10m? How do you know what their wage demands are that we could easily meet? Maybe we could easily meet them but we think they are unrealistic and may unsettle the rest of the squad.

43 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Buendia would be an excellent signing considering we;re looking to add very athletic strikers who are a threat aerially and on the ground. Imagine the amount of chances the like of Watkins will get in a game if he has Grealish on one side and Buendia on the other.

Its a good point.  Buendia is such a versatile player as well.  He can beat his man and get balls into the box all day long. 

He is also actually quite a good tackler for a forward and can press plus we need creativity especially in case Jack gets injured.

Edited by MJ_1874
  • Like 2