Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Plenty of speculation about Brentford players moving and of the relegated clubs, of players potentially leaving Watford and Bournemouth, but very little about possible departures from Norwich. They were the club rumoured to be looking for the most realistic prices (£20m) for players like Cantwell and Buendia. I wonder why there hasn't been many links? I would take either myself, particularly the latter. Today or any day soon, would be a  "good day" to sign him, in my opinion! ;)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

This is, for a change in recent times going to be a proper bonanza of a deadline day.

i think there’s more brinkmanship going on than ever.

- Clubs like West Ham and Palace are stuck in that awkward, established, massive wage bill, genuinely skint, directionless phase and need cash up front quick to fill first XI gaps.

- Other clubs are at their FFP limits and need to sell before moving places on (Burnley, Southampton)

- Some clubs are, in all reality, in need of funds having gambled on PL money next season (Brentford, Bournemouth, Forest, Derby, Watford) 

- A handful of clubs will make a significant (>£30m) net spend including ourselves

Fairly exciting for the first time in a few season.

I thought FFP was abandoned this season?

13 minutes ago, Ben said:

I do agree that we need a powerful central midfielder. Zakira would be amazing and would also cover at CB if we were stuck but we will probably end up with someone like James McCarthy

'Gladbach have waved away ~£50m overtures from Man City for Zakaria, and in 3 seasons he's amassed about a match-and-a-half's worth of game-time covering wide-right of a defensive 3 only in the most exceptionally dire of emergencies.  And he wasn't particularly adept at it.  Basically, never in a month of Sonntagen.

Just now, avfc1982am said:

I thought FFP was abandoned this season?

I dint think it's been 'abandoned' - they've just expanded the accounting period. Clubs will still be doing projections (based on current salaries, future salaries, bonuses etc.) and will know if they're at a limit or not. Clubs won't want to be in a fire sale position next year just because they overspent this year.

3 minutes ago, John said:

Plenty of speculation about Brentford players moving and of the relegated clubs, of players potentially leaving Watford and Bournemouth, but very little about possible departures from Norwich. They were the club rumoured to be looking for the most realistic prices (£20m) for players like Cantwell and Buendia. I wonder why there hasn't been many links? I would take either myself, particularly the latter. Today or any day soon, would be a  "good day" to sign him, in my opinion! ;)

My take with Norwich Is that they 'planned' for going down. They pocketed the PL cash to pay off some debt and are in a pretty stable position.

It only suprises me that the lack of ambition didn't lead to some of their better players trying to creep towards the exit, but that might happen in January if they aren't secure top 2. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Djemba_Villan said:

I dint think it's been 'abandoned' - they've just expanded the accounting period. Clubs will still be doing projections (based on current salaries, future salaries, bonuses etc.) and will know if they're at a limit or not. Clubs won't want to be in a fire sale position next year just because they overspent this year.

Ah right...Thanks for clarifying. I thought it was just being lifted this year. 

6 minutes ago, John said:

Buendia might be a plan B or C. Would love him at Villa personally. 

1 minute ago, Djemba_Villan said:

It only suprises me that the lack of ambition didn't lead to some of their better players trying to creep towards the exit, but that might happen in January if they aren't secure top 2. 

I would have thought a couple will want to be off during this window. 

Strangely, I'm actually most excited about seeing who our CM signing will be.

A big, strong, classy CM/CDM is what I want most.

Or a player who can do CB/CM equally well.

Or will we have changed plan after (reportedly) missing out McKennie? Hope not.

It is crucial, the midfield is the glue, and an area we were severely lacking.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, John said:

He would be plan A with me as well.  

I’m in the deluded camp that thinks we are going for some real top draw signings in some positions. There’s been little rumours like the knock back or the Japanese kid at Madrid, Thauvin and (whisper it) Rashica for the RW spot. 

Thauvin said in the French press yesterday he’s staying put (So could leave on a free next summer), Rashica.. ugh. Who knows what else is in the mix? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

A big, strong, classy CM is what I want most.

I'm surprised there's not been more talk about this! Only realised yesterday that assuming Grealish plays winger, if McGinn or Hourihane gets injured/suspended, our only cover is.... Lansbury 😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

A big, strong, classy CM is what I want most.

Agreed, we do need some additional quality in this area.  However, my sense is that we’ll  pick up a Swift/Hughes/Billing type player.  Will do a good job but not overly exciting.

Could be wrong though, perhaps we’ll blow 20/30m on someone to play alongside Luiz and McGinn?

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1