Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

For me, at this stage, Watkins at £24m or Edouard at £40m is a swallow hard and cross your fingers decision, both could work and look great business, both might not step up. I agree that Edouard likely has the higher ceiling, especially with age on his side. He was the signing I hoped we would make, but would love either (and both!)

Watkins is apparently 28 and 40 is just something the media came up with without any bid it could be 35m for example then its what a 7 million difference? Like you said Edouard has the higher ceiling, he has the better pedigree, more strings to his bow and is a few years younger.

I just can't see any reason not to bid for him before anyone else.

Do we even know if Edouard is for sale? I know Celtic's manager said he wasn't, but managers say lot of things. Still, I don't see a whole lot of reports of other teams going after him, either. The only news I've seen about him recently is that he's dealing with a thigh injury.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Why did Haaland only cost £8m for Salzburg the same summer Bournemouth spent £20m on Dominic Solanke?

Many clubs are silly and don't broaden the net wide enough with transfers.

Plus there's the mental thing of players making big jumps too soon. Playing in front of 6,000 and 80,000 isn't the same and some players' brain will fall out as they can't handle it. Haaland might have struggled if he'd gone straight from Molde to Dortmund. Probably not though as they are sensible and wouldn't have had him near a pitch if he wasn't ready.

Regardless, Brentford have better recruitment than Man Utd.

Atalanta have better recruitment than Real Madrid.

The bigger sides will catch up eventually, but it's an area where the smaller teams can enjoy themselves for now. Hoping Lange and McKenzie can make us a side who don't waste £25m every year on crap players.

In this particular case, Haaland had a buyout clause, Watkins doesn't. Annoying, but if we want him, we have to pay the price. 

I really hope we’re not one of those silly clubs...

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Many clubs are silly and don't broaden the net wide enough with transfers.

Ain't that the damn truth.

It also helps if you have contacts far and wide as well. We signed Benteke because Lambert sent the assistant manager of Dortmund (his old club) to go watch Belgium vs Netherlands in 2012 and report back to him.

Edited by Spray

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

Watkins is apparently 28 and 40 is just something the media came up with without any bid it could be 35m for example then its what a 7 million difference?

You can't have it both ways - it's all just media speculation. 

I like Edouard over Watkins too and it seems like there was genuine interest in him but he's likely turned us down and will be looking for a better move, just like Rashica. Nothing Villa can do about it even if they want to pay 50 mil. 

4 hours ago, Spray said:

Ain't that the damn truth.

It also helps if you have contacts far and wide as well. We signed Benteke because Lambert sent the assistant manager of Dortmund (his old club) to go watch Belgium vs Netherlands in 2012 and report back to him.

Benteke was already on our radar. Mcleish was the one who first spotted him.

36 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Being linked to the same players as West Brom and Fulham is worrying and depressing, no offence to them. 

Links are the media speculating, doesn't have to reflect our targets.

I think Brentford are in danger of pricing Benrahama out of a move, it will go down to the last day and they may have to reduce the price significantly.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Wonder how much they want for Benrahma £30m+ no doubt

You’d have to think that is the marker being set for him. 

One thing I do like, is that Brentford players never seem to kick up a fuss about leaving? (Or I’ve not certainly heard about any who have). 

What do they do so right with everything! 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

I wonder at what point Beneahma throws his toys out the pram. By all accounts he wasn’t happy with how last summer played out. I don’t see him playing for Brentford again but it seems they are pricing him out of a move. Nobody outside UK is going to pay this money for him. 

I think the media are reporting lower figures than teams actually want. Watkins was 20 mil now they want 28mil.

Maybe Edouard is the same reporter to be valued at 35 mil but really they want 45 mil and I think that would be a bit too steep for us this year with the other players we want.

all speculation but hopefully we can sign Watkins soon, I have a feeling he could be a top players for us

Brentford are entitled to ask for whatever they want, like us with grealish, I get the feeling they don’t need the money and would prefer to keep these players for another crack at promotion. I’d be happy with that if I was a Brentford fan. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Brentford are entitled to ask for whatever they want, like us with grealish, I get the feeling they don’t need the money and would prefer to keep these players for another crack at promotion. I’d be happy with that if I was a Brentford fan. 

And in that scenario the price usually goes up.

19 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I think they could need the money. They held on to players last season on a big push for promotion as they had got enough cash to pay for their new stadium. I would have thought that increased gate receipts were factored in to their financial planning particularly as they weren’t promoted. Obviously those aren’t going to come in anytime soon and without PL TV money that’s a big factor.