Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

9 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

He did pretty well in League one last season mate (2018/19). 16 in League and number in cup. 23 overall. He'a done well for 2 season's now. Scoring goal's and improving. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ivan-toney/leistungsdaten/spieler/251664/saison/2018/wettbewerb/GB3

26 overall this season 2019/2020

Seen him play live 6 times now.

I rate the lad!

This is the key for me. Actually watching someone at the ground is a far, far better indicator than on the telly. You don't see what a player is doing half the time on the telly.

I thought Davis done well on Sunday, but s couple of times from defending a corner, the ball has fallen to our full back on their natural side. Davis stood central. (I guess) the full back has sent the ball aimlessly up the line. I was crying out for Davis to attempt to show down the line. Win a throw/free kick anything to get us up the pitch. Thats what you miss. Was Davis attempting to make the run, was he alert, was he concentrating? We just don't know. It's those margins that stopped us getting up the pitch and try to cause Chelsea problems. It just allowed them back at us.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Guess he's a replacement for Sarkic. Hopefully we'll loan him out at 18 if he shows real potential over next year for our youth teams.

We have so many poor keepers I am surprised Sarkic does not feel he would have a chance here.

Sarkic will be 23 next month, whereas this new Polish keeper is only 15. Think Sinisalo will be more of a replacement for Sarkic, although he's only eighteen himself, can't remember where I read it but apparently he's quite highly rated by the club, might have been in the context of Cutler saying that we want to start producing our own goalkeepers so we don't have to keep spending money on them.

Edited by useless

3 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

He's got a lot of potential, knows where back of net is, and has a good attitude.. Sometimes it takes players a few season's to forfill that early potential. He was young at Newcastle when he signed from Northampton.

Just my opinion he could do well and is a good player and can keep improving.

An example: Back in 1992 Andy Cole wasn't wanted and got sold by Arsenal to Bristol City for just £500k and he ended up having a great career..

Some player's just need time to improve.

Thanks. In addition when he was at The barcodes he was very slender. He has a lot more power and has filled out. My brother is a Newcastle fan  (dreading tonight) and he watches their youth regularly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

Sarkic will be 23 next month, whereas this new Polish keeper is only 15. Think Sinisalo will be more of a replacement for Sarkic, although he's only eighteen himself, can't remember where I read it but apparently he's quite highly rated by the club, might have been in the context of Cutler saying that we want to start producing our own goalkeepers so we don't have to keep spending money on them.

Where did Cutler say that?

Cutler added: "We want to be the best goalkeeping department in the Midlands, if not the country. Goalkeepers through the system and into the first-team has to be the way forward. "We've got detailed goalkeeping coaches who believe we can do that. We don't want to be out spending millions and millions. We want to be developing our own first and foremost."

Quote from the Birmingham Mail as posted in the first post of the Sinisalo thread

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

The situation with Sarkic seems to fly in the face of that statement.

6 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Still waiting from @Villan4Life to give me the lowdown on Ivan Toney on what makes him a good potential signing. He's failed at Newcastle and has 1 good goalscoring season in league 1. Can you give me a player appraisal as to why he would be a good player for us?

From what I've seen he's a similar type to Tammy Abraham, fox in the box who gets on the end of crosses and tap ins in six yard box. He's scored loads in league 1 although right to point out he's unproven in championship when he was at Wigan a few years back.

Can think of worse signings upfront if we go down. Obviously need much better if we stay up.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

The situation with Sarkic seems to fly in the face of that statement.

We have 5 international goalkeepers on the books plus Steer who is a capable back up. You can't just give a goalkeeper a run out for last 15 minutes to get experience like you can an outfield player 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We have 5 international goalkeepers on the books plus Steer who is a capable back up. You can't just give a goalkeeper a run out for last 15 minutes to get experience like you can an outfield player 

Irony is of all the international keepers Steer is arguably the best Bar Heaton.

Even more so than outfield players you really need to use loans well with young keepers.

Think Pickford had about 4-5 loans through the various divisions before Sunderland gave him a debut. Just looking at Dean Henderson stats. Went to Stockport when he was 18, then Grimsby, then Shrewsbury for a season and Sheffield United last two years so he's pretty much played in every division in last 5 years.

With Sarkic we seemed to do it the wrong way round. Signed him in 2015 but didn't loan him out until 17-18 season when he went to Wigan but didn't play. From that we then sent him to Stratford Town and Havant and Waterlooville which with the greatest respect to them isn't really going to get him to the level required.

Seems he's come on more since his Livingston spell but he was 22 by then so feels like his career is moving on and he wants to go somewhere where he's got a good chance of breaking through.

If this new Polish guy looks good I'd try to get him out on a season loan at 18/19 to a Walsall or Cheltenham and then hopefully build from there.

I don't think Sarkic leaving contradicts Cutler's statement about wanting to produce our own keepers to save money, bearing in mind he will be 23 next month, he's not that much younger than Grealish, so will have come through our academy a long time before Cutler even arrived at the club. I'm sure the club are trying to produce players in every position to save us money, but the fact that we've let Doyle-Hayes, O'Hare, and Hepburn-Murphy go, doesn't contradict that either

• Sad 1

Siegrist had a lot more hype as a youth keeper and couldn't even tell where he is now. 

Kasper Schmeichel was the 2nd best young keeper at City, he had go down the leagues to come back

Would happily have Dwight Gayle leading our line next season, kid scores 20 + no problem in the championship.

Still not even 30 and he's been at Newcastle four years so presume his contract is running down now so wouldn't cost too much.

45 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would happily have Dwight Gayle leading our line next season, kid scores 20 + no problem in the championship.

Still not even 30 and he's been at Newcastle four years so presume his contract is running down now so wouldn't cost too much.

We’re not cut adrift at all, we can still stay up. We’re only in the relegation zone on goal difference

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Siegrist had a lot more hype as a youth keeper and couldn't even tell where he is now. 

Kasper Schmeichel was the 2nd best young keeper at City, he had go down the leagues to come back

I’m ashamed to admit this, I had to look on Wikipedia but he’s playing regularly for Dundee United