Jump to content

Summer Transfers Window 2020

Topic will be automatically locked at 23:59


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Come on it's not that difficult if you scout well or seen as club on the up. Leicester signed Youri Tielemans when they were about 12th in January 2019. Leeds signed a first choice La Liga striker yesterday. Fulham got in Mitrovic when they were a championship club.

We will sign players but as it stands looks like another season for gambling on majority of signings being lower league punts, the thought of Watkins being out sole attacking signing seems like madness to me.

If you look back last summer our two best signings were Tom Heaton (over 100 starts in premier league for Burnley) and Douglas Luiz who'd featured in about 30 games for Girona in La Liga with many of them being starts.

Surely we should be focusing on getting in more regulars from the top 4 leagues rather than thinking Belgium or the championship are the answer all the time.

Thats a sound call for me......somewhere along the line, there are a bunch of very unconvinced prospective recruits towards us.....we may have scraped through, but our ambition to improve ,is not being recognised.

why? ......I have no idea, but it seems we are getting gradually worse at attracting players instead of better.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Swift will be excellent value as entering last year of contract 

think he has 2 years left, he signed a 5 year contract (extension) in 2017 (so expires in 2022), i think.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

£10m for one of the best prospects in the Championship is an absolutely pointless bid. We know the asking price. He will go for the asking price. He is young English and tied down. Just pay the price ffs.

A bit OTT. Nothing to confirm we are even in for him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

A bit OTT. Nothing to confirm we are even in for him. 

I think it’s fairly likely. Our bid of £10m sounds sensible, Forest want £15m so we’ll end up playing £11m-£12m with bonuses up to £15m.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Come on it's not that difficult if you scout well or seen as club on the up. Leicester signed Youri Tielemans when they were about 12th in January 2019. Leeds signed a first choice La Liga striker yesterday. Fulham got in Mitrovic when they were a championship club.

We will sign players but as it stands looks like another season for gambling on majority of signings being lower league punts, the thought of Watkins being out sole attacking signing seems like madness to me.

If you look back last summer our two best signings were Tom Heaton (over 100 starts in premier league for Burnley) and Douglas Luiz who'd featured in about 30 games for Girona in La Liga with many of them being starts.

Surely we should be focusing on getting in more regulars from the top 4 leagues rather than thinking Belgium or the championship are the answer all the time.

 

8 hours ago, TRO said:

Thats a sound call for me......somewhere along the line, there are a bunch of very unconvinced prospective recruits towards us.....we may have scraped through, but our ambition to improve ,is not being recognised.

why? ......I have no idea, but it seems we are getting gradually worse at attracting players instead of better.

 

interesting points.

I expect us to sign some "growth players" again this season (ie: champ type players), but i also agree we really need 1-2 statement players to show players both internal and external to Villa that we are serious about working our way up the table.

This window i think will show us what the mindset of the club is, becuase we have the opportunity to sign 4-6 players without money being a major issue, so if we dont buy one single statement player it will be.......interesting.

The next few weeks will be insightful for sure.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Thats a sound call for me......somewhere along the line, there are a bunch of very unconvinced prospective recruits towards us.....we may have scraped through, but our ambition to improve ,is not being recognised.

why? ......I have no idea, but it seems we are getting gradually worse at attracting players instead of better.

That's where I'm at TRO. I just hope it is all rumours that our main targets are Cash, Watkins, Benrahma and Swift. If they do sign I'll support them, of course I will. I just fear that the PL will be too big a step for them and we end up with an expensive team of Championship level players. 

I said it in another thread; if the rumours do play out to be true, is it a case of Dean Smith thinking that he wants to bring in players that he's seen plenty of and who will settle quickly, without any language barriers? That may well be his thought process. 

Guess we just have to wait and see what plays out and hope it all works out for the best. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Look, Cash is an improvement to Elmo in the long run, Swift an improvement on Lansbury on the bench.

But thats not really improving our first team and will cost £20m.

Also, what sort of messaGe does it send Jacob Ramsey by signing Swift?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

 

 

interesting points.

I expect us to sign some "growth players" again this season (ie: champ type players), but i also agree we really need 1-2 statement players to show players both internal and external to Villa that we are serious about working our way up the table.

This window i think will show us what the mindset of the club is, becuase we have the opportunity to sign 4-6 players without money being a major issue, so if we dont buy one single statement player it will be.......interesting.

The next few weeks will be insightful for sure.

I would replace interesting with worrying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rayk said:

Look, Cash is an improvement to Elmo in the long run, Swift an improvement on Lansbury on the bench.

But thats not really improving our first team and will cost £20m.

Also, what sort of messaGe does it send Jacob Ramsey by signing Swift?

So basically you want our young lads to come along and Dean will leave a spot open for them to graduate, load of rubbish , you want to play for our club earn your bloody spot

Link to post
Share on other sites

Where did I say that? Of course the spot needs to be earned but Swift will be coming on a 3-4 year deal so unless both Lansbury and Hourihane goes he’s 4th or 5th choice before even getting a chance.

*Edit* Any other 18 year old (at the time) scoring 3 goals in 7 games in League One should be given that chance. Maybe he needs 12 months at a Championship side but I would be thinking ‘Do I need to look elsewhere’ if Swift arrived (and neither Lansbury or Hourihane) weren’t moved on.

Edited by rayk
Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

That's where I'm at TRO. I just hope it is all rumours that our main targets are Cash, Watkins, Benrahma and Swift. If they do sign I'll support them, of course I will. I just fear that the PL will be too big a step for them and we end up with an expensive team of Championship level players. 

I said it in another thread; if the rumours do play out to be true, is it a case of Dean Smith thinking that he wants to bring in players that he's seen plenty of and who will settle quickly, without any language barriers? That may well be his thought process. 

Guess we just have to wait and see what plays out and hope it all works out for the best. 

I am not opposed to signing players from the championship.....but they must be targetted and that means an understanding they will make us better.

If its a case of just shopping there, because we have to......that worries me.

I think there is a legitimate claim, that if you keep shopping there , you are preparing to return there.

I Have so far seen nothing to match the rhetoric from the club, that we have ambition....we need to demonstrate this, not just verbally claim it.

We need at least one signing of intent on that ambition.....so far it seems more likely we will relinquish the one player of intent we have....we have to change the perception of us.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rayk said:

Where did I say that?Of course the spot needs to be earned but Swift will be coming on a 3-4 year deal so unless both Lansbury and Hourihane goes he’s 4th or 5th choice before even getting a chance.

It’s not a first in last out system!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TRO said:

I am not opposed to signing players from the championship.....but they must be targetted and that means an understanding they will make us better.

If its a case of just shopping there, because we have to......that worries me.

I think there is a legitimate claim, that if you keep shopping there , you are preparing to return there.

I Have so far seen nothing to match the rhetoric from the club, that we have ambition....we need to demonstrate this, not just claim it.

We need at least one signing of intent on that ambition.....so far it seems more likely we will relinquish the one player of intent we have....we have to change the perception of us.

Like who?

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Come on it's not that difficult if you scout well or seen as club on the up. Leicester signed Youri Tielemans when they were about 12th in January 2019. Leeds signed a first choice La Liga striker yesterday. Fulham got in Mitrovic when they were a championship club.

We will sign players but as it stands looks like another season for gambling on majority of signings being lower league punts, the thought of Watkins being out sole attacking signing seems like madness to me.

If you look back last summer our two best signings were Tom Heaton (over 100 starts in premier league for Burnley) and Douglas Luiz who'd featured in about 30 games for Girona in La Liga with many of them being starts.

Surely we should be focusing on getting in more regulars from the top 4 leagues rather than thinking Belgium or the championship are the answer all the time.

Good post. Agree about Watkins. Like the lad but he is a hopeful bet rather than a serious solution. I do worry that our links, outside of Rachica, feel small time bargain bin shopping rather than serious signings to progress the club.

Still I remain hopeful, in an odd way the lack of activity makes me happy. We maybe saving our transfer budget for a serious signing or two and the likes of Watkins are back ups/ make weights.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

wow, didnt realise we are one of only 3 Prem teams to not have signed a single first team player yet (us, Manure, Leicester)

The 3 who after Chelsea might spend the most. Possibly.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Like who?

I am not a scout.......and i don't have to be to recognise the significance of the claim.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

It’s not a first in last out system!

Huh? I’m just saying Jacob Ramsey is a prospect that shouldn’t be blocked by Championship level squad players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â